9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 5:41 PM by the_wine_snob

Activation

HMVideo

I asked Adobe what I consider to be a simple question regarding the activation of PPro CS3, AE CS3 and Encore CS3 where I would like to have all programmes on both the Desktop PC and the Laptop.  My understanding of the licence is that this setup is allowable provided they are not used at the same time.  I send my request for information on 6th July and to date am still waiting on a reply.  Adobe state that they will get back with an answer within 24 hours. Is this a common occurence?

Harry

• 1. Re: Activation
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There have been many messages about the lack of response from Adobe

Yes, the license allows 2 activations

• 2. Re: Activation
            the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

I do agree that both Tech Support and Sales Support seem to have slipped as of late. They were great in the past.

To the OP, I have the full Production Studio, plus the additional apps from the Creative Suite Premium (InDesign, GoLive and Acrobat) on both my workstation and my laptop. Each program has its own activation, and all have functioned perfectly. The caveat to NOT run tow instances of any program is a good one, though I have made the mistake of having the same program open on both machines, with no ill results. I try to NOT do this, but have slipped up and no "smoke," no irate calls from Adobe, nothing, though I have been quick to Exit from one, when I did this.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Activation
              HMVideo Level 1

My problem started when I had to replace the OS hard drive.  I had to reformat it about 3 times and then activate the CS3 software. I expect that this has thrown their system out and it now refuses to activate on my Laptop hence the request.  A simple answer but seemingly not to Adobe.

Thanks for the replies.

Harry

• 4. Re: Activation
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you have to call them; since you did not deactivate one of the licenses (just doesn't happen when a hard drive goes).  (And a reminder to everyone who can correct things enough to deactivate before replacing a hard drive, etc.)  I recall seeing other posts (on a non-Adobe AE list too) that this is a bigger hassle than it used to be in the past.  But stay patient and explain what happened. Have your numbers ready....

• 5. Re: Activation
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There is a limit on the times that a copy of most recent Adobe products can be activated. Adobe can reset that number and will glady do so, with the information.

A call to them will likely solve your issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Activation
                    HMVideo Level 1

Thanks for the advice.  Will call ASAP and be prepared to wait.

Harry

• 7. Re: Activation
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Last time that I had an installation issue, it was fixed and I was up and running within five mins., including hold. Unfortunately, that "last time" was about 10 years ago. I hear that Adobe TS is not nearly so good, or as fast now.

Especially with HDD issues and attempted installs, Adobe has always been very understanding and helpful for others. One PS user had to get his Activation cache reloaded about 3x to finally get it all up and running. IIRC, one gets 5 Activations, without the reset (number may have changed too), so that was almost 15 installations of PS - however, he got it going finally. Glad that it was him, and not me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Activation
                        HMVideo Level 1

Called Adobe this afternoon.  Now up and running on my laptop.  Thanks to all for their advice and suport.

Harry

• 9. Re: Activation
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Now up and running on my laptop

Those are great sounding words! Glad that they could help you.

Good luck,

Hunt