22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 10:05 AM by the_wine_snob

constant crashes in premiere elements 7

rikki123456789

Elements has been crashing constantly and at the most inconvenient of times. Since i updated my audio driver the crashes are less frequent but still often occur when in rendering and export. I have a good computer which has handled elements with ease on previous occasions but now i have this problem, as far as i am aware nothing has changed could anyone tell me what may have happened, my project settings exactly match the media used so i do not believe this is the problem.

• 1. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You might be able to extract some clues on the crashes from this ARTICLE. This FAQ from the PrPro Wiki also has many good tips. This FAQ from Steve Grisetti is well worth reading and following the tips.

As most similar crashes are associated with these three elements, please tell us all that you can, about each:

1.) System

2.) Assets

3.) Project

The more detail, the better.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE from the Tips & Tricks sub-forum will help you get started on what info is useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
              rikki123456789 Level 1

1)  the system im guessing is info about the compute so its vista on 3gb ram a dual core prossesor and plenty of hard disk space,

2)  i dont know what you mean by assets

3)  the project is around 3 minutes long with two audio and one video track and the only editing used is timestrech

• 4. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                the_wine_snob Level 9

System = computer, including the OS, the I/O subsystem (all aspects of your hard drives and how they are allocated).

Assets = all media files used with complete details, such as DV-AVI Type II Captured in PE via FireWire from a Canon ZR-80, plus PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio files in Soundtrack.

Project = the Presets used, i.e. NTSC 4:3 DV Project with four Video Tracks, one Audio Track for the Video's Audio and one each Soundtrack and Narration.

All of this information can go a long way toward's helping someone spot issues, and then offer suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                  rikki123456789 Level 1

the footage was captured on a samsung vp hmx10 which records proggresive hd footage into mp4.

the preset was custom with 1280X720 as the size, 50 fps, 32bit 48khz audio

i have also checked the errors in the event viewer and something jumped out at me was that on errors in the applications tab the description mentions faulting modules, they are different each time but three i have as example are as follows: faulting module ImporterFastMPEG.prm , faulting module MediaLayer.dll , faulting module CompilerMPEGProxy.prm. Also there are no errors in the system tab

• 6. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good detective work. First, it appears that you are having issues with the MPEG aspects of the program. The ...FastMPEG.dll has been known to cause issues in PrPro for some users, depending on their Assets. In many cases, just renaming it to something like ...FastMPEG.dll.old, has solved their issues, though at the expense of a bit of speed in rendering.

Now, do your MP4's rely on the H.264 CODEC? In QT Player, you can hit Ctrl-j, with one loaded, and read the properties of the file. It should be the same for each, Captured in the same way.

As for Capture, do you use PE, Samsung software, or something like HDVSplit? Or, do you copy your files and folder structure from the camera, and then Import into PE from the HDD (Hard Disk Drive)?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                      rikki123456789 Level 1

i cannot find the fastmpeg.dll file so that i can change it also i cannot find out if i use the h.264 codec as i dont have QT pro but people on the forum have told me that it does use it, finally i put my footage into a folder in my documents and then import into elements

• 8. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Installing the latest version of the free Apple QuickTime Player just might fix everything. I'm surprised that you could even install without it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                          rikki123456789 Level 1

i already have the latest version and just checked for updates and there were none

• 10. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, I misunderstood. Does QT require the Pro version just to display Properties? I've had Pro for more than a decade, so I really have not kept up with what the regular version has, or does not have.

Hunt

• 11. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                              rikki123456789 Level 1

yes when i press ctrl+J a window pops up telling about all the extra features i get for buying pro

• 12. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, since the Samsung site does not tell me what CODEC is used, and none of the reviewers that I found felt this was important, we can only go with the info from the other fora. First, H.264 is a very effective, heavily compressed CODEC. However, many NLE's have issue when using it.

I am also a bit surprised that you are getting faults in the MPEG modules, as you should be working with the MP4 (basically the HD .MOV wrapper), and I would not think that MPEG would come into the mix, unless you were doing BD authoring with the MPEG encoding selected. Maybe I'm just missing something there.

OK, you Copy directly from the SD/SDHC card and keep any folder structure, right? These are then Imported into PE with Get Media/Drives and Folders, correct?

Is it upon Import, that PE crashes, or is it during a particular operation?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                                  rikki123456789 Level 1

on import elements is normally fine and crashes tend to occur in export and rendering athough at times they can happen completely at random,

"I am also a bit surprised that you are getting faults in the MPEG modules, as you should be working with the MP4 (basically the HD .MOV wrapper), and I would not think that MPEG would come into the mix, unless you were doing BD authoring with the MPEG encoding selected. Maybe I'm just missing something there."

Could you please explain what you mean here as i do not know what bd authoring is and i do not know what the hd . mov wrapper is. thank you for all your help so far by the way i feel we will get there very soon

• 14. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    Could you please explain what you mean here as i do not know what bd authoring is and i do not know what the hd . mov wrapper is

Certainly.

BD authoring refers to creating BD (Blu-ray) discs for display on a computer with the proper hardware and a Blu-ray software player, or via a Blu-ray set-top player hooked up to a TV

HD .MOV "wrapper," refers to HD (High Definition) and .MOV is the "wrapper" that the file is encoded to. Most often, one sees the .MOV "wrapper" with SD (Standard Definition) material, and the .MP4 "wrapper" with HD (High Definition) material. With the Apple QucikTime HD files, the H.264 CODEC is most often used to encode/compress the data stream.

For a more detailed explanation of "wrapper," see this ARTICLE. Though it talks mainly about the .AVI "wrapper," most applies to .MOV, .MP4, .WMV and many others. The "wrapper," or file "format" is just a package that signals that the contents probably contain a Video (and probably also an Audio component) file. The particulars of that file are not really known, until one "peaks inside" the wrapper. It is the CODEC used, that determines the characteristics of that file. The CODEC is a two-way process, that will encode the file, usually compressing the data stream, and also will decompress that file, allowing it to be played, and often edited. Most often, the exact CODEC used is not known, just by looking at a file's extension. That's where utilities, like G-Spot (mentioned in several linked articles) and the Properties Panel in QT Player come in - they allow us to "peak inside" that wrapper. Another good utility for this is MediaInfo. Some utilities work better with certain file types.

Sorry for using so much jargon. I got nailed for that earlier today on the PrPro forum, so I should have known better.

Hunt

• 15. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                                      rikki123456789 Level 1

i haven't used anything to do with blu ray discs as i dont plan on burning my videos to dvd, concerning the wrapper is there any way of changing it so that im using the.MP4 one as you say i should be using.

• 16. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        concerning the wrapper is there any way of changing it so that im using the.MP4 one as you say i should be using.

This is pretty much automatically taken care of by your choice of settings in Export/Share. What exactly are your Export/Share Presets and also any individual settings? This is part of the "Project" aspect that I asked about earlier. How are you planning on delivering your movie?

Hunt

• 17. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                                          rikki123456789 Level 1

when you say export/share settings should i be able to find them in the project or are these the setting used on the export itself

• 18. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

These are the setting that you will select yourself. Obviously, the bulk will be predicated on the Preset that you use, but most have settings that can be adjusted.

What is your intended delivery of the material?

Hunt

• 19. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                                              rikki123456789 Level 1

the indented delivery is to post my video on the internet, also i cannot find any export/share settings in the project settings window

• 20. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                the indented delivery is to post my video on the internet, also i cannot find any export/share settings in the project settings window

It sounds like you have a bad installation, as you should have a wealth of presets in the Share tab screen.
                                                PE_Share_Tab_01.jpg
                                                This is about what you should see, when you press the Share Tab.
                                                Good luck
                                                1 person found this helpful
                                                • 21. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                                                  rikki123456789 Level 1

i was not aware of this method of export, previously i simply pressed file then export, my screen looks exactly as the image does when i press the share tab.

• 22. Re: constant crashes in premiere elements 7
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I understand. I often get confused between my PrPro and PE. The term "Share" is not used in PrPro. Back in my PrPro 2.0, one could "Export," and then had a couple of choices, Movie or through AME (Adobe Media Encoder). Each of these offered many settings and controls.

When I first saw PE, I went to Export and was amazed at how little was there. I had expected it to be like PrPro. Then Steve Grisetti pointed me to the great big Share Tab, and I understood my problem - terminology and location.

A lot of folk show up on the PrPro forum from a PE background and ask where the Share Tab is. Few on that forum even know what they are talking about.

Glad that we got that sorted out, and that you're on you way in the "home stretch."

Happy Editing,

Hunt