4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 10:57 PM by Jim_Simon

Fade to black sees clip I deleted.

envirographics Level 1

Hi,

I razored and deleted a beach scene off the end of my clip, it was a previous recording on the camcorder tape that showed itself when I stopped recording my new clip. I cant see it when scrubbing the clip. I add Black video to end of clip, drag/drop a crossfade transition to the join, play the video and it fades to black but I see the beach clip in there. Why ?

I have tried deleting the area where it seems to show up but it still persists. Tried closing down and relaunching CS3 but no better.

Envirographics

• 1. Re: Fade to black sees clip I deleted.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When you Razor, you have set the new Out Point for that Clip. Unfortunately, when adding a Transition, you will be drawing the necessary Handles from the deleted portion. Move the Out Point (click and drag left on the Tail of that Clip) to half the Duration of the Transition and you should no longer see the "extra" frames.

For more info, see Handles:

Handles_01.jpg.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Fade to black sees clip I deleted.
            envirographics Level 1

Hi and thanks for solving this mystery, took a couple of drags left of the end of the clip, each drag loses the transition so I re-applied it, and also had to drag the black video left as well to abutt again.

Its natural that one cuts where the visible end of a clip needs to be, I presume this dragging left of the end of the clip to avoid transition handles seeing the deleted clip is common practice. I dont recall this happening before when on my first project I cut the ends off clips, abutted clips then aplied transitions, everything went smoothly. This time I came across this situation.

Envirographics

• 3. Re: Fade to black sees clip I deleted.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, this is the course of action with an NLE. Back in the "good old days" of cine, it was obvious, as I had to "overlap" my Roll A to put in a Dissolve with Roll B. With a Fade-to-Black (what it was called back then), one could see the Handles, as they overlapped the Black Leader, so there was something to Fade out.

When one edits by setting the In & Out Point in the Source Monitor, it's also easier to understand this process. This is also one reason to start filming before the action, and then continue to film after the action. You want plenty of Handles.

Glad that it worked out for you, and thanks for reporting.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Fade to black sees clip I deleted.
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Its natural that one cuts where the visible end of a clip needs to be

For a trained editor who plans to use a transition, that's actually quite unnatural.