9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 8:43 AM by BobLevine

Can I use InDesign Ver 3.0 and the PM plug in pack with Vista?

pacerfoto

I am a long time Pagemaker user and am still using PM6.5   I needed a new computer and of course, it is the Vista OS.  I have an original version of InDesign CS (Ver 3.0) with the Pagemaker plug in pack.  I never learned to use it cause I was so used to 6.5.  Anyway, I installed the InDesign on my new Vista computer but it won't install the PageMaker plug in pack.  Says that the OS doesn't support the installation.  Can anybody tell me if there is a fix for this or how I can get this to work.  InDesign seems to hard and I have thousands of old PM6.5 files I need to use.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can I use InDesign Ver 3.0 and the PM plug in pack with Vista?
          BigJohnD Level 3

My view would be that if the PM Plug-in Pack won't install, accept that, and learn more about InDesign.

The reason for that view is that if you somehow force it to install using safe or compatibility mode, you are just storing up future errors.

Use your current InDesign Licence number to upgrade to a newer version, which has some PM features incorporated.

Iechyd da! John
          15:11 13/07/2009 BST

• 2. Re: Can I use InDesign Ver 3.0 and the PM plug in pack with Vista?
            Level 4

It would have been best for you to start learning ID when you first got ID CS. Vista like OSX Leopard CS and CS2 are not supported by Adobe some have got it to work others have no such luck. CS is the last version to be able to upgrade to CS4 once CS5 is released you will be out of the upgrade path. Now that you have put off using IDCS learning CS4 will be a much bigger learning curve.

• 3. Re: Can I use InDesign Ver 3.0 and the PM plug in pack with Vista?
              josephbush

OK well im using vista 64 bit ...and everything the so called community experts  say  means i should not be able to install this  Adobe indesigne CS Page Maker edition....and its Page maker Plug-In pack

But I did  with little complication.

..... installed the Adobe indesigne CS

.....it says you must install the Page maker Plug-In pack

.....so i started the  plugin cd said this  operating system is not supported

"work around below"

so i did explore cd and went into the Adobe Page maker Plug-In pack Directory on the CD

and i right  Click Setup

Select properties

now select second tab at tob COMPATIBILITY

check run this program in compatibility mode for:

then make sure drop down says  Windows XP SP2

then hit ok

then and i right  Click Setup And select run as adminstrator

hit allow if it prompts you and go thru the normal setup  like you would with XP  had no issues here works great........

Hope this helps : )

ps doing same for most xp programs  makes them run like they are in XP

• 4. Re: Can I use InDesign Ver 3.0 and the PM plug in pack with Vista?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

How many threads are you going to spam with this?

Bob

• 5. Re: Can I use InDesign Ver 3.0 and the PM plug in pack with Vista?
                  pacerfoto Level 1

Joseph,

Thanks for the help.  I did the steps that you said and the plug-in pack installed completely.  That was great until I tried to open PM6.5 files and they all said that the file was damaged and could not open.  Any suggestions for that???

And Bob......sorry that this seems to upset you.  I am ordering an upgrade and trying to learn InDesign as it relates to my work, but I cannot get it to work so far.  So naturally, I am trying to learn while still actually getting my work DONE.

• 6. Re: Can I use InDesign Ver 3.0 and the PM plug in pack with Vista?
                    BigJohnD Level 3

You're only going to get the same advice - move to InDesign - otherwise you are going to keep get problems of this nature.

PM6.5 is over a decade old - would you try to get other software of a similar age to install and work, especially if the output is as important as you suggest?

InDesign is not hard to learn if you are an experienced PM user, and easier still if you've used AI.

Iechyd da! John
                    10:35 04/08/2009 BST

• 7. Re: Can I use InDesign Ver 3.0 and the PM plug in pack with Vista?

I'm upset because you state you're trying to learn, that you're having problems and then call those of us with experience and expertise WRONG. Not only do you so but you do so in multiple threads in multiple forums. That's no way to get help.

http://indesignsecrets.com/windows-xp-service-pack-3-breaks-indesign-cs2-pagemaker-convers ion-capability.php

InDesign versions prior to CS3 (version 5) cannot open PM files on Vista or XP SP3.

Bob

• 8. Re: Can I use InDesign Ver 3.0 and the PM plug in pack with Vista?
                        pacerfoto Level 1

Bob,

I have a feeling that you have me mixed up with someone else.  Maybe you are more upset with Joseph that gave me the steps for installing the PM plug in?  I have not posted in multiple threads and multiple forums and I don't remember calling anyone wrong.  In fact, I am sure you are all right.  The problem is that I am a small time businessman with a specialized photography job that I have been using PageMaker to do this job for a very long time.  I have known for a very long time that I am living on borrowed time with PM, but it was working.  I am an experienced photographer and I can make my way around photoshop and pagemaker pretty well, but I am NOT a grahpic artist or designer, nor am I a big-time publisher.  Therefore, I am finding InDesign to be really complex and above my head for my very simple job.  I am trying.

• 9. Re: Can I use InDesign Ver 3.0 and the PM plug in pack with Vista?

I see...my apologies.

I hate when anyone spams the forums, especially with inaccurate info. I saw your reference to being upset and confused you with the other poster.

Unfortunately, if you want to keep using PM (or an older version of ID) the best advise is to find an old computer to do it with. You'll never get PM files to open with ID CS on Vista.

If you want help with InDesign, however, then you'll get plenty of that in the InDesign forum, so head on over there and post away.

Bob