11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 9:19 AM by SherriNanLee

Need help with installation

SherriNanLee

I recently received a laptop from school to access my online classes.  When I tried to use Adobe Reader I received the following message:  Adobe Reader 9.1 has encountered a problem and needs to close.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  I tried tech support at school and was told to uninstall and reinstall the program.  During the installation process I received the following error:  Error 1321 The installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:/Program Files/Adobe/Reader 9.0/Reader/Onix32dll. I need this program for school.  Can some one please help me.

• 1. Re: Need help with installation
          michael.varnell Level 2

Hello, Sherri:

What operating system does this laptop use? Service pack? Do you have administrative rights to the system? Is UAC disabled (VIsta)? What version of anti-virus software does the system use? Anti-spyware?

With this information, we may be able to narrow the problem down in order to reach a solution.

Thanks,

Michael

• 2. Re: Need help with installation
            SherriNanLee Level 1

Hello Michael,  Thank you for getting back with me in a timely manner.  I've started class today and already need to use the program.  Here is the information that you requested:

1.  Window XP Professional 2002, Service pack 3

2.  The computer has student listed as computer administrator.

3.  Trend Micro Internet Security 2008.

I hope that this information helps resolve this issue.  Look forward to hearing from you soon.  Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Sherri N. Lee

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 06:32:48 -0600

To: sherrilee755@msn.com

Subject: Need help with installation

Hello, Sherri:

What operating system does this laptop use? Service pack? Do you have administrative rights to the system? Is UAC disabled (VIsta)? What version of anti-virus software does the system use? Anti-spyware?

With this information, we may be able to narrow the problem down in order to reach a solution.

Thanks,

Michael

>

• 3. Re: Need help with installation
              michael.varnell Level 2

Hello again, Sherri:

It's my pleasure to provide assistance when I can :•) Having just recently graduated after 7 years of effort just to get a 2-year degree, I can relate to needing software to get class work accomplished. I will do everything I can to make it happen for you today.

Since you didn't mention, the UAC setting, I'd like you to disable it for me if it isn't already:

1. Open Control Panel
              2. Under User Account and Family settings, click on the "Add or remove user account"
              3. Click on any user account
              4. Under the user account click on the "Go to the main User Account page" link.
              5. Under "Make changes to your user account", click on the "Change security settings" link
              6. In the "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" click to unselect the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer". Click on the Ok button.
              7. You will be prompted to reboot your computer - do so when ready

You may need to uninstall/reinstall Reader after the reboot in order for the problem to go away, but that part I am not certain of. Try to duplicate the issue prior to taking that step.

If you are unable to resolve issues with Adobe Reader, I recommend using a different reader that has much less bloat and is updated regularly:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

FoxIT is a FREE alternative to using Adobe's Reader. Support for free Adobe products is limited forums such as this. The same holds true for open source alternatives except the manufacturer usually helps support their forums while Adobe doesn't monitor this forum or any like it. I know how important it is for you to focus on your classes so don't beat your head against a wall just because Reader won't work when a viable solution exists.

Best of success in your pursuit of knowledge!

Michael

• 4. Re: Need help with installation
                SherriNanLee Level 1

Hello again, Michael,

Was unable to do the UAC changes.  Buttons where not highlighted.  I just went ahead and uninstalled Adobe and downloaded Foxitsoftware and it works.   Thanks for all your help Michael you have made my online school experience better.

Sincerely,

Sherri Lee

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:03:52 -0600

Hello again, Sherri:

It's my pleasure to provide assistance when I can :•) Having just recently graduated after 7 years of effort just to get a 2-year degree, I can relate to needing software to get class work accomplished. I will do everything I can to make it happen for you today.

Since you didn't mention, the UAC setting, I'd like you to disable it for me if it isn't already:

1. Open Control Panel

2. Under User Account and Family settings, click on the "Add or remove user account"

3. Click on any user account

4. Under the user account click on the "Go to the main User Account page" link.

5. Under "Make changes to your user account", click on the "Change security settings" link

6. In the "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" click to unselect the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer". Click on the Ok button.

7. You will be prompted to reboot your computer - do so when ready

You may need to uninstall/reinstall Reader after the reboot in order for the problem to go away, but that part I am not certain of. Try to duplicate the issue prior to taking that step.

If you are unable to resolve issues with Adobe Reader, I recommend using a different reader that has much less bloat and is updated regularly:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

FoxIT is a FREE alternative to using Adobe's Reader. Support for free Adobe products is limited forums such as this. The same holds true for open source alternatives except the manufacturer usually helps support their forums while Adobe doesn't monitor this forum or any like it. I know how important it is for you to focus on your classes so don't beat your head against a wall just because Reader won't work when a viable solution exists.

Best of success in your pursuit of knowledge!

Michael

>

• 5. Re: Need help with installation
                  pwillener Level 8

I hope you are aware that Foxit Reader comes bundled with spyware (the dreaded "Ask toolbar").

I have tried it, and during the install was given an option to uncheck the spyware installation.  Which I did, but it was installed anyway!

• 6. Re: Need help with installation
                    michael.varnell Level 2

Hello, Pat:

I wasn't aware of this. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. However, whenever possible I opt for a "standalone" version that doesn't necessitate "installation". Foxit is such an application. I will be certain to inform users that I recommend downloading the .zip file which contains a completely "mobile: version of the software. I keep such on my USB key since it's less than 7MB.

Michael

• 7. Re: Need help with installation
                      michael.varnell Level 2

Glad I could help, Sherri. If you wouldn't mind, please mark this thread as "answered" so others know to look here for a possible solution to their issues. It has just come to my attention that the Foxit installer also installs the Ask Toolbar. If that is the case, I'd recommend uninstalling it and downloading the .zip version from Foxit's Website since it does not require "installation thus will not sneak any spyware in there in the process.

Good luck with classes!

Michael

• 8. Re: Need help with installation
                        SherriNanLee Level 1

Thanks Michael

• 9. Re: Need help with installation
                          SherriNanLee Level 1

Thanks Pat,

I didn't get that toolbar, but I see I have a icon on my desktop for eBay now that I didn't have prior to installing Foxit Reader.

Sherri

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:49:12 -0600

I hope you are aware that Foxit Reader comes bundled with spyware ("Ask toolbar").

I have tried it, and during the install was given an option to uncheck the spyware.  Which I did, but it was installed anyway!

>

• 10. Re: Need help with installation
                            michael.varnell Level 2

Glad to hear you do not see the toolbar in question, Sherri. You may wish to check Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs for anything that may have slipped in under the radar. You should be able to simply delete the icon on your desktop as I suspect it just takes you to the eBay Website.

Michael

• 11. Re: Need help with installation
                              SherriNanLee Level 1

Hello Michael,

Once again, thanks for everything.  I deleted the eBay icon. I checked in Add/Remove programs and Ask.com was not there.  After I wrote that it was not there when I went online the Ask.com page came up instead of my regular homepage.  But I don't see it in my Add/Remove programs.  Just thought I'd let you know that.

Sherri

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 06:44:47 -0600

Glad to hear you do not see the toolbar in question, Sherri. You may wish to check Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs for anything that may have slipped in under the radar. You should be able to simply delete the icon on your desktop as I suspect it just takes you to the eBay Website.

Michael

>