also use ExternalInterface.call with IE and don't have any problems.
What version of IE do you have?
Add ; at the end of string in your JS. (Don't think that it's solution, but it's better)
I'm using IE 8. I'm stuck now. Anything that I can try to figure it out?
1. Try to check under earlier versions (there is a capability mode in IE8)
2. Try to check security errors. Set a minimal security level and check.
3. Try to remove alert, may be it's a source of problems..
I'm just wondering if you are making the call too early? Your original code snippet just says that in MXML you are declaring and initialising the variable that does the ExternalInterface call all in one go. It may be that the interface has simply not been initialised at the time you encounter this line of code. Try putting the statement into a handler run by creationComplete() rather than just into the MXML raw. Personally I prefer keeping declare and initialise as separate stages anyway - if something goes wrong it is harder to debug (as you are, perhaps, finding out!) - I do realise that most code snippets you see here and there don't do this, but IMHO it is a good discipline to get into!
Thanks for the help. I managed to get it solved. I changed the way how I invoked the swf file, from
<object id="Main" >
<object id="Main" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="100%" height="100%">
Now it worked fine in IE 8.