13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 5:46 PM by Jeff Bellune

EX clip names not in media browser

ovrexposed

I'm using a Sony EX-3 and a MacBookPro with CS4.

I used the sony clipbrowser 2.5 to offload clips from the camera cards. I named the clips as I offloaded them to hard drives.

In Premieres media browser, the clip names do not show up under any of the colums availabvle, including 'name'. When I select the clip to the preview windo, the name then shows up.

why doesn't the clip name show up in the media browser? That would be significant time saver.

• 1. Re: EX clip names not in media browser
          ovrexposed Level 1

Isn't this a problem for any EX users?

• 2. Re: EX clip names not in media browser
            ovrexposed Level 1

Anybody using Sony XDCAM EX metadata effectively?

• 3. Re: EX clip names not in media browser
              ovrexposed Level 1

I find it hard to believe nobody is using metadata with Sony EX cameras and Premiere CS4

If you have 100 clips, how do you know what's what? Is there an alternate workflow I'm missing?

• 4. Re: EX clip names not in media browser
                Colin Brougham Level 6

I find it hard to believe nobody is using metadata with Sony EX cameras and Premiere CS4

Believe it. It doesn't work. So, no one is using it. I've tried--you posted in a thread I started about the same issue--and metadata doesn't come through, at least in the Media Browser.

If you have 100 clips, how do you know what's what? Is there an alternate workflow I'm missing?

Import them all, and you'll see the clip names appear in the bin. Remove what you don't want to use. Sad, silly, true.

• 5. Re: EX clip names not in media browser
                  ovrexposed Level 1

Colin

Thanks for the reply

you sound as frustrated as I am at this seemingly simple feature that should be there.

Is there anything to do to get adobe to make a change to impliment this? Picket? Throw rotten tomatoes? Hold my breath and kick my feet? Glare menacingly? Or just move on to a better implimentation like Vegas?

• 6. Re: EX clip names not in media browser
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I think camera makers are to blame here.  No one makes an HD workflow comparable to a DV workflow.  We get either single files with all relevant data (good), but with less than ideal temporal compression (bad), as in HDV.  Or we get full frame recording (good), but with a wholly unnecessary 'folder structure' instead of single files (bad), as with DVCPRO HD and AVC-I.  With AVCHD and XDCAM EX, we actually get both bad points and neither good point.

What is needed and wanted here is a standard camera format that offers full raster, I-frame only recording to a single file containing video, audio, timecode and other metadata, which can be renamed using any file manager (including but not limited to Windows Explorer and Adobe Bridge) and still remain fully functional in any editing program.  I would further add that such a camera should record to a reusable medium small enough to be implemented in hand-held cameras, reliable enough for broadcast and digital cinema use, and cheap enough for archiving so that it can be stored on a shelf and not have to be reused.  In short, what is needed and wanted is a DV analog workflow for HD.

Currently, no one offers such an HD camera.

• 7. Re: EX clip names not in media browser
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Yeah, I wasn't too pleased after spending a couple hours logging footage externally, only to find that none of the metadata showed in the Media Browser, and only the clip name appeared in the bin. I'm not sure if this is a bug, necessarily, or if it's just something that hasn't been implemented yet. With P2, you do see clip names in the MB, and quite a bit of the metadata assigned to the file is viewable in the bin or in the Metadata panel, so we know the capability is there. And, if you bring in an XDCAM EX clip, you can see a lot of the metadata is actually being recognized by Premiere when you right-click a file and select Properties. However, beyond the clip name, none of it appears in an easily-usable format. Bug or not implemented? I couldn't say. But do what I did and submit a bug report/feature request.

A "workaround" of sorts would be to use Premiere as your logging application instead of SCB. If you bring all your clips into a generic "logging" project, you could add Premiere-specific "clip" metadata instead of the more universally-transferrable "file" metadata. Then, create individual sequences that contain all pertinent clips of a certain category or logging note, ie. CITY BROLL or WATER BROLL (note that I'm assuming you want to add metadata that you can use in multiple projects). Think of the project as your file cabinet, and the individual sequences as file folders, with each folder holding a collection of related files.

Once you're in your working project, import the "logging" project like any other file, and select just the sequences that contain the footage you want. The sequences along with their respective footage will import into bins, and the metadata you assigned to the clips in the logging project will carry into your working project. I realize that this isn't the most streamlined workflow, but it should at least give you access to any of the metadata you assign in the logging project.

• 8. Re: EX clip names not in media browser
                        ovrexposed Level 1

Colin

Thanks for the workaround idea. For some projects, I'll do that; but for others, I need to keep the entire BPAV folder structure clean so I can hand it off to others for their use on different systems.

The names I give to clips in Sony Clipbrowser do show up in the preview window, so premiere can see them and use them. Why they wouldn't put that in the media browser is a mystery. I ran into someone who said CS3 did have a lot of EX functionality that was removed in CS4.

I'll have to log a complaint/bug as you suggest.

Ed

• 9. Re: EX clip names not in media browser
                          ovrexposed Level 1

I poked around and could not find a place to make a BUG report. Suggestion?

• 10. Re: EX clip names not in media browser
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

ovrexposed wrote:

I poked around and could not find a place to make a BUG report. Suggestion?

Right here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Buy early; buy often

• 11. Re: EX clip names not in media browser
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Have you guys seen this dialog?

Metadata4XDCAMEX.jpg

• 12. Re: EX clip names not in media browser
                                ovrexposed Level 1

Jeff

Have you actually made that dialog box work with EX metadata? I checked all the choices in the media browser, INCLUDING 'name' and it did not display the 'name' I gave in the sony clipbrowser

• 13. Re: EX clip names not in media browser
                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Nope.  I don't even have any EX footage to use for testing the

workflow.  It's just that the dialog can be hard to find and I wanted to

make sure you didn't miss it.

-Jeff