7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 11:30 AM by rtprtp

HDV Cameras and PE7, which are most compatible?

rtprtp Level 1

Hello all,

Would anyone like to suggest which HDV camera works well with PE7?

Ideally I would like to buy a 3CCD HDV camera that shoots SD and HD, has XLR for audio, and is under $5,000 US.

I've got my eye on the Canon XH-A1

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks, Stan

• 1. Re: HDV Cameras and PE7, which are most compatible?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

All tape-based HDV camcorders should work fine with this program, rtp.

Also, all AVCHD camcorders will work with version 7, although the program generally requires a quad core processor and 4 gigs of RAM to handle these more compressed files.

• 2. Re: HDV Cameras and PE7, which are most compatible?
            rtprtp Level 1

So Steve, in your professional opinion, both the Canon Xh-A1 and the Sony HDR-FX1000 will work well in PE7?

Do you have a preference?

Thanks!!

Stan

• 3. Re: HDV Cameras and PE7, which are most compatible?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For the research on these two cameras, you might want to also Search the CS4 forum. Both have been discussed. In respect to the Capture and editing of the footage, about the same will apply to PE7 as to PrPro CS4. Of course there are differences between the programs, but not really in this area.

Those discussions have had comments from two noted contributors, Harm Millard (think he uses the Canon) and Jim Simon (uses a Panasonic, but knows his cameras very wel). Filtering your Seach by the camera make/model and then on either of those Names, should yield a lot of very useful, real world data.

You might also be able to find a comparisson chart at someplace like B&H Photo. A good chart would also have a Panny, or two, in there, for consideration. I do not know of a good review site, that might have the same, but maybe Steve, or Paul_LS will.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: HDV Cameras and PE7, which are most compatible?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Reviews can be very helpful. But they can only take you so far. I'm sure they're both excellent camcorders, as long as they have the features you want.

You might also want to post to our "sister" site, the Muvipix forum. You'll likely find at least one person there who owns one of those cams (or something similar) and can tell you about his or her real world experience.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/

• 5. Re: HDV Cameras and PE7, which are most compatible?
                  rtprtp Level 1

Thanks everyone. I will follow through on your suggestions.

ST

• 6. Re: HDV Cameras and PE7, which are most compatible?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a brand new THREAD on the Canon. No replies yet, and the OP did have a specific issue, but you might want to follow it.

I also think that I would compose a post, listing your criteria and the camera models that you are considering. Post it to the CS4 forum, under a tilte, such as "Which Camera Make/Model for US$5K?"

I'd explain the type of shooting that you will want to do, but would OMIT all references to PE7, as you'll likely get a ton of replies with this forum's URL in them. Just say "Premiere," and leave the "Elements" out of the equation. If you do post in the CS4 forum, I'll step in and get the ball rolling for you. Unfortunately, I do not know those cameras to help you out. Also, be ready to write down another camera, or two, to choose from.

Good luck, and see ya' on the CS4 forum.

Hunt

• 7. Re: HDV Cameras and PE7, which are most compatible?
                      rtprtp Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for the reply. Today I have gotten several positive responses on the Canon, so I am going to go for it. Thanks also for the thread. Very helpful.

Once I start shooting and editing I hope I can also make some positive contributions to this great forum.

Peace, ST