6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 7:55 AM by Yuna Yong

Adobe Pop-up Issues

Yuna Yong

Hi! Ever since I downloaded Adobe Reader 9.1 from Adobe's main site a month ago, I've been invariably getting a pop-up window from "Problem Reports and Solutions" every time I tried closing the application. Otherwise, all was fine and I didn't experience any hanging or other abnormal behaviour of Adobe Reader. I've attached a screenshot of my issue as diagnosed by "Problem Reports and Solutions" and I hope it will help you in resolving my problem. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Adobe Pop-up Issues
          michael.varnell Level 2

Hello, Yuna:

I can't yet see the image you attached because it is still queued on Adobe's server but if you could tell us a little more about your system and possibly provide an error log, that would be a great way to help us work towards a solution to your issue. First, what operating system does your computer use? Service packs? Anti-virus and anti-spyware versions? Are all security patches up to date? Are you getting annoying popups when surfing the Web? Has anything been installed since it worked last?

To view event logs:

1. Right-click My Computer inthe Start menu

2. Click Manage

3. Expand the Event Viewer menu on the left

4. Click Application

Look for any error that is time-stamped around the time you last reproduced the error. Paste anything from the logs you feel may (or may not) be related.

Thanks,

Michael

• 2. Re: Adobe Pop-up Issues
            Yuna Yong Level 1

hi! I'm running Adobe Reader on a Windows Vista Home Premium OS with SP2 installed. The antivirus software that I'm using is BitDefender Total Security 2009 and all security patches are up-to-date. There have been no annoying pop-ups that I experienced all along as my browser settings is set to block most automatic pop-ups. And the issue I'm experiencing had already been present right from the time I installed Adobe Reader, so it had never worked to begin with. By the way, did you have problems reading the details of the error log that I sent you as an attachment? And how do I paste logs that may be related to the error? Thanks.

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:43:22 -0600

To: yunayong@live.com

Subject: Adobe Pop-up Issues

Hello, Yuna:

I can't yet see the image you attached because it is still queued on Adobe's server but if you could tell us a little more about your system and possibly provide an error log, that would be a great way to help us work towards a solution to your issue. First, what operating system does your computer use? Service packs? Anti-virus and anti-spyware versions? Are all security patches up to date? Are you getting annoying popups when surfing the Web? Has anything been installed since it worked last?

To view event logs:

1. Right-click My Computer inthe Start menu

2. Click Manage

3. Expand the Event Viewer menu on the left

4. Click Application

Look for any error that is time-stamped around the time you last reproduced the error. Paste anything from the logs you feel may (or may not) be related.

Thanks,

Michael

>

• 3. Re: Adobe Pop-up Issues
              Yuna Yong Level 1

Hi! I've provided herewith a larger screenshot of an updated error log reproduced by "Problem Reports and Solutions". Hope this helps! Thanks.

• 4. Re: Adobe Pop-up Issues
                michael.varnell Level 2

Hello again, Yuna:

Thank you for providing the requested information. I am now able to view the attachment of the error you included in your iriginal post so copying/pasting the info from the event logs that I requested should not be necessary. I'd like you to try to disable UAC to see if that resolves the matter. Once you diable UAC, reboot the system, uninstall Reader, then reinstall. I'm not sure the reinstall is necessary so you can try to duplicate the issue prior to taking that step.

To disable UAC in Vista:

1. Open Control Panel
                2. Under User Account and Family settings, click on the "Add or remove user account"
                3. Click on any user account
                4. Under the user account click on the "Go to the main User Account page" link.
                5. Under "Make changes to your user account", click on the "Change security settings" link
                6. In the "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" click to unselect the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer". Click on the Ok button.
                7. You will be prompted to reboot your computer - do so when ready

Let me know the results.

Michael

• 5. Re: Adobe Pop-up Issues
                  Yuna Yong Level 1

Hi again! I disabled UAC and reinstalled Adobe Reader, but the problem still persists. Are there any alternative methods to resolving my issue?

• 6. Re: Adobe Pop-up Issues
                    Yuna Yong Level 1

Hello! Just for the sake of reassurance, are you in the midst of conceiving an alternative resolution? Thanks.