35 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 5:54 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio export not compleet!

KoenWies

Heey,

I`m Trying to export just audio in WAV format.

The total duration is almost 2 hours.

Adobe encoder don`t say that something is going wrong, but when when I play the file in Media Player it starts good but after 1 hour and 10 minuts its just silence...

When I export it as a ACC its going perfect!

I use Adobe Premiere CS4...

Please HELP!

I hope you understand my English

Have a Nice DAY!

Koen.

• 1. Re: Audio export not compleet!
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Are your drives NTFS formatted?

• 2. Re: Audio export not compleet!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Your English is fine - nothing to worry about there.

Now, there could be a couple of reasons for the truncation in your WAV file:

1.) your WAB (Work Area Bar) might not extend over the full Timeline's Duration. Hit the \ (backslash key) to see your entire Timeline and check the little grey bar right below the Timeline Ruler.

2.) your drive is formatted for FAT-32 and not NTSF. This would limit the file size.

Check these out, and report back.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Audio export not compleet!
              KoenWies Level 1

Yes one of them.

My Windows Disk is FAT.

But why works ACC fine and WAV not?

• 4. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                Harm Millaard Level 7

ACC may compress more heavily than WMV and may fit, while WMV will not fit.

Reformat your disk to NTFS and try again.

• 5. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                  KoenWies Level 1

My "wab" is over the whole project.

There is nothing like a marker or something on the 1 hour en 10 minutes point...

Thanks a lot!

Koen

• 6. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                    KoenWies Level 1

I can`t reformat my Windows Driver!

or can I?

• 7. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      But why works ACC fine and WAV not?

More compressed and smaller file size.

From the CMD line, you can Convert to NTSF without loosing your data, like you would with a reformat. Type convert? for the full set of parameters.

For NLE work, all HDD's should be formatted NTSF, including any externals. File sizes will be an issue that will haunt you, otherwise.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

You can't format a driver. You can use the Convert command. Look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx

• 9. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                          KoenWies Level 1

Soon as possable I make THE step to MAC.

So i guess that for the moment its easyer (??)  to convert the acc to wav.

Someone have a good program for this convert?

THNX!

• 10. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd use Adobe Audition, but Soundbooth should work. Still, with FAT-32, you will face the same issue of file size.

One alternative would be to use the WAB to "break" the Timeline into two pieces, and Export one-half, then the other. You could work on these smaller files independently and then Import them back into the Project to be placed end-to-end on the Timeline.

Trust me, you will fight the FAT-32 issue everywhere.

Also, not sure that going to a Mac is really a step up, however, if it works for you, fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I believe that the freeware program, AUDACITY, will do this conversion too.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                KoenWies Level 1

Your the first one i have ever hurt off that says that mac isn`t better than windows

Why should windows be better or the same as Mac?

I'm trying Audacity now and otherwise is use soundbooth.

Thanks!

• 13. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                  KoenWies Level 1

now its not funny!

Soundbooth is just silence the.

and when I try to convert my driver whit cmd he says "no files found matching C:"

I type: convert c: /fs:ntfs

NOTHING WORKS

I hope you have the solution

THANKS!

• 14. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

KoenWies wrote:

Soon as possable I make THE step to MAC.

THNX!

So you have serious money to burn? Why don't you transfer some to me...????

• 15. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

The above is from the MS KB article that Harm linked to. I think that your CMD line string might be missing one thing - the capitalization of your drive letter, C.

I would type "convert C: /fs:ntfs" [without the " marks] and capitalize the C.

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

Above from XP-Pro's Help.

By the way, what OS are you running PrPro on?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        Soundbooth is just silence

Does the .WAV play in Windows Media Player (WMP)?

Does the .WAV open and play in Audacity?

It could be that because of the spatial limitations of FAT-32, the file is poorly formed and is truncated in more than just the Duration.

I'd try the Export Audio Only and use the WAB to test with just half of the Duration of the Timeline. You want to make sure that something else is not happening. See if that file opens and plays in SoundBooth.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                          KoenWies Level 1

I have found out that the wav file aren`t perfect!

By 1 hour and 3 minutes de file is just silence but by 1 hour and 40 minutes the sounds play again!

so I`ve just export the lesst hour (with the WAB) and stil the same thing but not exactly on the same place :S

on the moment I`m confused... I hope that someone has a solution...

Thanks a lot!

Koen

• 18. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, just to make sure that I am following you, you have now "broken" the Timeline in about half, with the WAB. You have Exported each half as a WAV, resulting in two files that fit on your HDD without a problem. Neither plays properly. Is that correct so far?

Though the FAT-32 format will cause many of the problems you see, regarding abbreviated files, due to the size limitations, it sounds like you are having another issue with your Audio.

1.) does it play properly from the Timeline, when you hit the Spacebar? Does everything sound perfect then?

2.) what are your Project Presets?

3.) what are the details of your Audio files? Where did they come from, and please give us all details of them?

4.) have any Audio Effects been added to these Audio files?

5.) what are your Audio Export settings? The more you provide, the better it will be.

6.) remind me again, how much free space do you have on your HDD's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                              KoenWies Level 1

I`ve broken my project in two pieces (one is a hour and one is 58 minutes).

1.) yes, it does. on the timeline it`s great!

2.) I`ve add a Attach File. one is called "Project".

3.) Original the came from a extermal recorder. But the video files used is this project are made whit edius. (from canopus, Green valley).

Then exported to avi. that imported in Adobe Premiere Pro.

4.) only fades.

5.) I export in "audio only" whit the acc codec on 128 bits to my external HDD.

6.) on my C: disk I`ve 2 GB left. and on my External HDD I`ve 50 GB of space left. and my External disk is the scratch disk to.

I`ve add 2 pictures. one is called "Project" for question 2. and the other one is called "timeline" the part whit the red stripe is the part whitout sound (in the export).

One detail. the audio starts to play again (in the exported file) by the part thats called "Foto`s". this part is a sequence...

Thanks a lot!

• 20. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                KoenWies Level 1

A new picture:

The export settings!

• 21. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                  6.) on my C: disk I`ve 2 GB left. and on my External HDD I`ve 50 GB of space left. and my External disk is the scratch disk to.

That is extremely troublesome, especially if your external is a USB disk. Get some new disks. Read the Storage Guide for some tips.

What is the codec in your AVI source material? If you had captured in the normal way, you would have had 48 KHz audio, not 44.1 KHz.

• 22. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                    KoenWies Level 1

yes, that`s true. but my sound in the project is 44.1 (see image "project")

only the export sound was 48.0 but that isn`t part of the problem. or is it?

• 23. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

That is what I don't understand. Edius also uses 48 KHz sound when capturing, like all NLE's. How did you manage to export an AVI file from Edius with non-standard sound? What codec was used?

• 24. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                        KoenWies Level 1

I don`t know actually...

I just exported as a AVI file... and import that in Adobe Premiere Pro

• 25. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Use Gspot to determine that.

• 26. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                            KoenWies Level 1

PCM so ther is no codec for the audio....

And it is 44.1

• 27. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

I would re-export from Edius and make sure your audio is 48 KHz stereo PCM/WAV or use an external converter. Use Google to find one. Whether this conversion will help I do not know, but at least it won't hurt. When you have checked the whole timeline that there are no strange things in the audio track, try again.

Before you do that, make sure you have at least 10 GB free on your C drive, preferably more. The temp files Adobe uses for internal processing (not the scratch disks) may cause such hiccups in the export, that that can be the cause of your problems.

• 28. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                6.) on my C: disk I`ve 2 GB left. and on my External HDD I`ve 50 GB of space left. and my External disk is the scratch disk to

I am surprised that you can even run the program with only 2GB on your C:\. If your Page File is on C:\ and is dynamically managed by the OS, you will very likely fill that HDD and that can cause major problems. I would immediately clean some "stuff" off of it. Your OS has zero room to "breath." There is possibly a disaster waiting to happen there.

The 50GB on the external (do not recall if it's USB, or FW, or eSATA) is about the absolute minimum to do any sort of Project. The working files for PrPro are much bigger than the Project file, and can overflow that disk in a heartbeat.

As Harm says, you need much more HDD real estate. I can see the potential for maybe two HDD's crashing on you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 29. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Even at 44.1GHz, PrPro should have no problem Conforming that file. Using 48KHz is better, but with 44.1KHz 16-bit, you are not throwing something at PrPro that it cannot handle.

I agree with Harm that your stressed I/O is likely at the bottom of this. It's time to shop for more HDD space. Fry's (Western US retailer), just had Seagate ATA-300 1TB 7200 RPM full install kit HDD's for US$89. I'm sure that other retailers will have similar pricing, with VAT, etc. atop.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 30. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                                    KoenWies Level 1

I know. its realy the minimum. But I check them while Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Encore where running.

So when I close them I`ve maybe more space...

But even when I select just ten seconds with the WAB its just silence.... so has anyone a solution for that problem?

• 31. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem is that I can't replicate your problem, but then I have slightly more storage in my case (16+ TB).

If you want to resolve this, step 1 is get more disk space. Step 2 is use internals or eSATA, but not USB disks. Step 3 is to check not only the codec for audio, but also for video with GSpot. Step 4 is to check the complete timeline plays in its entirety, with sound problems. Step 5 is to export audio only as PCM/WAV at 48 KHz stereo. If this still does not solve it, look closely at the links in this post, because then we need a lot more info and these links give you a lot of questions that need to be answered, as well as tips for troubleshooting.

Some suggestions

• 32. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

While something else could be going on, my best guess is that PrPro (and your OS) just have no room to work. As has been stated, PrPro creates some pretty large working files, when doing almost anything.

Hunt

• 33. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

It's rather like this story:

I have a truck with bad shock absorbers. When I load 800# into the bed, and drive over a rough road, the tires rub on the inside of the fenders. What should I do? The answer: get new shock absorbers, or only drive on rough roads with the truck empty, and do so very slowly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 34. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                                            KoenWies Level 1

Yes I know.

my graphic card isn`t ideal to and a lots of other thinks that aren`t the best for this job.

So that`s the reason that I wanne make the step to an MAC.

But its gonne take some time. and I have maked a promiss that i make this movie... But this wil not work... I gues...

• 35. Re: Audio export not compleet!
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Whether you stay on a PC and upgrade/replace to a better machine, or go to a Mac, the necessity to get a good NLE computer will be the exact same. It's just that the Mac will likely cost you more. Still, it is a personal choice and I think that either platform can edit nicely.

Now, do not expect the Mac-experience to be much different than the PC-experience. Read some of the Mac fora, and you'll soon see that it's not much different, just a bit more expensive.

In the end, you'll need plenty of CPU power, plenty of RAM and a bunch of HDD's.

Good luck,

Hunt