7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 3:33 PM by Wumpus32

Downloading and installing PE7 templates

Wumpus32

Using Adobe's &$*#&$(&%$ downloader/installer, I get to the point where the installer seems to be trying to unpack the template files, at which point, it crashes, with a message along the lines of "you don't have the rights to this folder and/or there is insufficient disk space."  Naturally, I have admin rights to all folders on all drives, and I have 87+ gigs free on C.

• 1. Re: Downloading and installing PE7 templates
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing that I would do would be to Extract the archived Functional Content file. These were .7z files and might still be. Extract with the full foler structure. Launch from the executable file (probably .exe) in the main folder. That should install the Functional Content.

If you still have issues, try dragging the entire folder to the Desktop and running it from there.

Note: the Extraction process is usually very important, as the installer cannot run properly from the downloaded, archived file - in most cases.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Downloading and installing PE7 templates
            Wumpus32 Level 1

No joy.  Attempting to unpack the 7z file results in crc failures (at least

when attempted with WinRAR 3.80). The zip files extracted fail with WinZip

as well.

• 3. Re: Downloading and installing PE7 templates
              Wumpus32 Level 1

The Adobe installer fails after extracting most of the large files, but the

remaining files are zero length.

• 4. Re: Downloading and installing PE7 templates
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Predicated on the results, I would do the download again, as that file might be corrupt. This has happened to several folk, and not just with PE.

In Win XP-Pro SP3, I can use Windows Explorer to Extract 7z files, and do not even have WinZIP on these two machines any longer. As soon as I Dbl-click the .7z, I get the dialog box to Extract. Now, I do have QuickPAR and WinRAR on the machine, and they handle a lot of archive files. It could well be that my Windows Explorer interfaces with WinRAR and it's transparent to me.

There was a freeware version of 7zip available. Adobe went with the 7z files, because the Mac-side of the street had issues with WinZIP, and 7zip came from the Mac. When Adobe first made this change, I got a copy of 7zip, but that was maybe five years ago. Can't even recall which machine that was on.

Hope that a new download of the file will fix things for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Downloading and installing PE7 templates
                  Wumpus32 Level 1

Well, believe it or not, downloading with Firefox instead of IE was the

secret.  Guess the Akamai control works better in a more Java-friendly

environment.

• 6. Re: Downloading and installing PE7 templates
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and good to know.

Thanks for reporting the success.

Enjoy that Functional Content. Should you be interested in more, you might want to drop by Muvipix. They have an extensive library of Menus, as well as motion footage and music. The "Community" (like this forum) is a great place for answers and ideas, too. Muvipix is a three-stage site. You can read, and post to the fora, without doing anything else. You can sign-up and access a bunch of the free Functional Content, and buy others. For a subscription, you can download it all. Good articles and tutorials are available too. One day of downloading and one has more than paid for their subscription.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Please don't forget to hand out a few "points," on the way out the door to Muvipix...

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob added comment on "points"

• 7. Re: Downloading and installing PE7 templates
                      Wumpus32 Level 1

Thanks for the tip!