1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 17, 2010 6:59 AM by gary675

Reader 9 crashes 10 sec after opening on OS X

Matthewm1970

We are running OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and have no problems on almost all our computers.  However, on one we attempted to re-install Reader (v 9.10) and although it installs fine, and even opens documents OK, it always crashes about 10 seconds after opening with a standard "The application Adobe Reader quit unexpectedly" blah blah dialog.  We reinstalled because this was happening every time we tried to print (but didn't previously happen when we opened the program, only when printing - now it's always).

This user's home directory is on a network share, on a Mac OSX Server (also Leopard). We are not have any other troubles with this computer that I'm aware of.  Opening and printing the same PDFs using Preview works just fine.  Opening and printing the same documents on another Mac on our network, also with Leopard and Reader 9.10 also works just find.

I followed the various steps in the Troubleshooting System Errors document (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403918.html), including removing and reinstalling Reader in Safe Mode Boot.  No change in symptoms.

In case it helps, below are the first few lines of the crash report.

I'm really tearing my hair out!  Thanks for any assistance you can offer!

-Matthew

CRASH REPORT

=============

Process:         AdobeReader [1538]
      Path:            /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeReader
      Identifier:      com.adobe.Reader
      Version:         9.1.0 (9.1.0)
      Code Type:       X86 (Native)
      Parent Process:  launchd [117]

Interval Since Last Report:          637 sec
      Crashes Since Last Report:           1
      Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  6 sec
      Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   1

Date/Time:       2009-07-13 11:19:15.445 -0600
      OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
      Report Version:  6
      Anonymous UUID:  6FE623F2-3B4D-454F-8F00-E6C30BBE2F2A

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
      Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
      Crashed Thread:  0

• 1. Re: Reader 9 crashes 10 sec after opening on OS X
          gary675

I found a solution to this issue for Network Users running 10.5.6 from another post in the forums
          1. Log in as a Network User
          2. Go to Macintosh HD /Users/Shared/
          3. If you are on an Intel based Mac create a folder in /Users/Shared/ named 9.0_x86 if you are on a Mac that is a G5/G4 create a folder named 9.0_ppc
          At this point you should have created either
          /Users/Shared/9.0_x86/
          /Users/Shared/9.0_ppc/
          4. Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Acrobat/ and trash the 9.0_x86 or 9.0_ppc folder contained within
          5. Go to Applications/Utilities/ and open Terminal
          6. Enter one of the following into the Terminal
          If you are on an Intel based Mac enter
          ln -s /Users/Shared/9.0_x86 ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Acrobat
          If you are on a G5/G4 Mac enter
          ln -s /Users/Shared/9.0_ppc ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Acrobat
          7. Open up Acrobat 9 and it should work!
          What this does is create a symbolic link on the network location to the folder we created in the Shared which resides on the hard disk so the Organizer90 file doesn't stall during creation.