6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 4:47 PM by Harm Millaard

Disks Accurately Setup?

JBrown321 Level 1

I noticed that on Harm's tips on setting up disks he mention to use at least 3 different physical disks on an editing machine, one for OS/programs, one for media and one for pagefile/scratch/renders.   I have a seperate drive for my OS/programs, one drive for my project files, and then a raid 0 setup for my scartch disks. Do I need to set this up differently? I don't think my pagefile is set on my raid 0, but it is on my main c drive and set to system mananged size, is this ok? What is the difference between a scratch disk drive and a drive for your media?  Thanks for any help Harm or anyone else.

• 1. Re: Disks Accurately Setup?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

C drive for OS & progams, check!

D drive for project files, check!

E drive (2x in raid0) for media and scratch, check!

This is good. Your pagefile on raid0, E drive is good too, only set it up to a fixed size of around 1.5 times available memory, unless you have large amounts of RAM. I have 12 GB RAM and use a fixed pagefile of 8 GB. Preferably you would do that as a first action on this disk since it will not be fragmented and in the fastest area of the disk. Scratch disks are used for temporary files by Adobe, media files are the files you captured and have a more permanent nature. Captured files are not modified when you apply effects, only temporary files are changed, like rendered files.

• 2. Re: Disks Accurately Setup?
            JBrown321 Level 1

Thanks for the help.  So I need to keep the raid 0 as my scratch and media drive  and then keep using the project drive(d) for the project itself? Should I turn off pagefile to main drive c? and then turn pagefile on for my raid? I also have 12 gigs of ram, so I should have my raid 0 pagefile to 8gigs?

• 3. Re: Disks Accurately Setup?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

That is what I would do. First setup your pagefile to a fixed size on E, then remove the pagefile on C, reboot and defrag your disks.

• 4. Re: Disks Accurately Setup?
                JBrown321 Level 1

Thanks Harm, don't know what we'd do without ya!

• 5. Re: Disks Accurately Setup?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

You maybe had to look around a tiny bit more on the Internet, but my 'expertise' is nothing more than just a couple of tips that are readily available elsewhere and some practical experience, that taught me where I made mistakes. It just happens that I have them ready to help others here, without the trouble of Googling for it.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience, well that comes from bad judgement"

I hope this helped you and answered your question.

PS. I would not object to receiving some points for the help.

• 6. Re: Disks Accurately Setup?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Just to clear up matters for you, the pagefile is best positioned on your fastest disk and since you have a raid0, that is your fastest disk. Preaching to the choir is not always as easy as it seems. In my case I have my pagefile NOT on my fastest drive, it is a 8 GB pagefile on my 2 disk raid0 and my fastest drive is a 12 disk raid30, which is way faster, 170 MB/s versus 850 MB/s transfer rate, but I did that for housekeeping reasons. So you have to take my advises with a little grain of salt.