15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 5:52 AM by Harm Millaard

exporting to tape and capturing

proenza Level 1

I notice that premiere pro cs4 when i am capturing 2 hours video or exporting to tape, freeze often.

i open my task manager and i saw that memory is always increasing (consuming 3,4 gb, when exporting 1 hour and ten minutes) so i have only 2 gb of ram, when it passes the limit, it stop responding.

if it is a short clip and dont pass the 2 gb limit, it´s ok. I dont know where is the problem, in PP CS3 no problem...

I forgot...

My system is Core duo e 8200

2 hard drives 7.200 rpm

windows xp 32 bit

thanks

• 1. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Have a look at this link. In this post the first link takes you to the WIKI troubleshooting page. Try if it solves your problem. If not reply by answering all 16 questions in the Finally section. Then go to the second link, look specifically at the second part and post the requested screenshots and results. It looks like a hardware problem showing congestion, but who knows with the limited info?

Some suggestions

• 2. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
            proenza Level 1

ok

sometimes it exports without problem... sometimes not

I notice that CS4 is unstable for now, maybe when CS5 come out, it gets stable

• 3. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              I notice that CS4 is unstable for now, maybe when CS5 come out, it gets stable

I don't think that the release of CS5 has anything to do with the stabillity of CS4.

Repeated request.

Click on the link below, read carefully and click on the 2 links in that post. If the troubleshooting guide on Wiki does not help, answer all 16 questions at the bottom. Then proceed to the second link and supply the info requested at the end.

Some suggestions

• 4. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
                proenza Level 1

so you didnt understand my post...

sorry

• 5. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, I think that it might be the other way around. We understand your post, but I do not think that you understand Harm's. What he has provided are several articles on troubleshooting, that will either fix your situation, or will rule out certain things as the likely causes. At the bottom of the article linked to, you have a list of questions. It is the answers to these, plus what you tried from the troubleshooting guides, and the results, that will help us understand your problem better. It's the "problem," and not the post, that we need an understanding of.

With 2GB of RAM, and you observing a "ceiling" on RAM use, the first thing that I'd do would be to go to 4GB. RAM is cheap. You will want to match your existing RAM in every aspect, to the new RAM. If this is not possible, because of availability, or how your MoBo's memory slots are configured, then just go with 4GB of new RAM. You will not quite be able to use 100% of that 4GB, but enough that it could make a difference.

Good luck, and please report back with the answers to the 16 questions, plus what helped, or did not help, from the troubleshooting articles.

Hunt

• 6. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
                    proenza Level 1

thanks, but i figured out the solution...

work with PP CS3, and waiting for stable updates.

like the preview post, when CS5 out, maybe CS4 will be better. We have just to wait 1 year for the real product.

hey adobe, if you upgrade your software every 2 years, maybe will be better.  what do you think?

thanks

• 7. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

If that is your solution, why did you ask the question here? Why the reluctance to answer questions, are you guarding State Secrets?

work with PP CS3, and waiting for stable updates.

like the preview post, when CS5 out, maybe CS4 will be better.

If anything CS4 is more stable than CS3 and just by bringing out CS5, CS4 will not improve. That is utter nonsense.

• 8. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
                        proenza Level 1

I ask my question here to know if anyone had similar problems, and a possible solution.

because no one give me a solution, i will use CS3 until CS4 gets more updates.

another thing, it´s strange release a product that one year after continue releasing updates, so i say maybe it´s better upgrade every 2 years.

we want time to enjoy the program...

i think you could write some scripts for tv series because you´re very creative

the good thing here is that i like very much adobe...

cheers to everyone

• 9. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

I ask my question here to know if anyone had similar problems, and a possible solution.

because no one give me a solution,

No one can answer your question without details that were asked for, both by Hunt and myself, even repeatedly.

• 10. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
                            proenza Level 1

thanks

i unistall cs4 and cs3, and reinstal cs4 (trial) only, and it seems to be working fine.

so, now i can tell my boss to buy cs4, but i think he is skiping this step, and maybe only buy cs5

we just use in education,

but if they dont buy cs5, i will buy for sure, im qualified for education "staff"

• 11. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              i think he is skiping this step, and maybe only buy cs5

There might be a bit of a wait (just a guess on my part), as I doubt that CS5 will come out, until Win7 has been totally certified. I doubt that Adobe wants to release, only to have Win7 come later and users on their case to rush a quick fix out. Now, this is how I would do it, but Adobe doesn't call anymore.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I’m with you on this. I fail to understand the reticence of so very many to provide details about what it is they wish to do, the computer they wish to do it on, and how they plan on doing it.

I guess that is much that I will never understand in our universe, and this is definitely one of them.

I posted a link to an article that explained a recent poster’s problem and gave the full solution. The response that I got was, "I’m too busy to read that article. I just came here for answers, not a Summer reading list... " OK, it is hard to help some people.

Good try though,

Hunt

• 13. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
                                  proenza Level 1

heey

the thing is:

my pc configuration was the same that was used with CS3, and no crashes, with CS4 had some crashes.

in my laptop with 4 gb of ram worked fine with CS3, with CS4 had some crashes too. so, was the same for my both desktop and laptop.

because im not a noob, i'm very carefull with what i installed in computer.

and yes, i learn everyday with a lot of people...

i forgot, the important thing in this thread was if anyone had the problem i described, and after that of course, find a solution.

Harm, i appreciate your help too...

thanks and cheers

I'm with the wine, i mean, the portuguese wine, red wine...  lunch time

• 14. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

[Sarcasm on]

Well, I had the same thing happen to me with Word and Office 2007 applications, both on my notebook and my desktop. One was a Centrino with 256 MB ram, running Windows 95, and the other was a P3-450 with 512 MB ram under Windows 3.11 and both machines refuse to start properly. It can't be the disk setup, because the notebook has a 40 GB disk and the desktop has a 20 GB disk. Both machines run perfectly with MS-DOS 6 and even with AMI Pro under Win 3.11. I don't understand why Office 2007 can't run on these systems.

[/Sarcasm off]

• 15. Re: exporting to tape and capturing
                                      proenza Level 1

hehehehe

hahahHAHAHAHAH