11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 2:21 PM by the_wine_snob

Can Premiere Elements 7 be split onto 2 LCDs?

D0NNN

Hello,

1. Can Premiere Elements 7 workspace, etc be divided between 2 LCD displays?

2. Is GeForce such as GTS 250, or Quadro such as NVS or 1700, best or adequate for PE7?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can Premiere Elements 7 be split onto 2 LCDs?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You should have no problems splitting the display over two monitors, LCD, or CRT. In PE4, there was a limitation, and I think that it was the Timeline Panel. Do not know if that limitation still exists with PE7. I split between 2 21" CRT's (for PrPro), but do not like my Timeline to be broken by the two monitors, so I never use it that way. Steve Grisetti can tell you if PE7 still has that limitation with the Timeline Panel, but you can get all of the rest on the second monitor afer you "Undock" them.

As for the GPU, unless you're doing more than NLE work, like 3D, the Quadro will be overkill. I have one on my workstation and even with light 3D, it's more than I need. Good card, but I probably should have spent the extra $'s for another HDD (though that machine has 6 already). Any card that is dual-head capable will work. Just be sure to check for the connections and the specs for each display. My Quadro will handle about anything, and all I needed were the conversion adapters to drive my CRT's.

I love my nVidia, but lately there have been issues with Adobe products and the newer nVidia drivers. About the time that Adobe and nVidia teamed up, the drivers went south for Adobe products. Go figure? ATI has been getting good reviews on most Adobe fora, and their drivers seem to be working very well.

When I go to do NLE work on my 17" laptop, I trip all over myself, 'cause I'm used to the dual monitors upstairs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can Premiere Elements 7 be split onto 2 LCDs?
            D0NNN Level 1

Hello Hunt,

Thanks for the info. You used the word “overkill.” I am unsure if my ‘puter configuration is rife with overkill for PE7. Can you or Steve Grisetti or anyone who considers themselves pretty knowledgeable/experienced critique my ‘puter choice before I buy?

I used Videoguys.com to figure my needs basically. Then at hp.com, I selected an HP desktop using their customizing tool thinking that that should avoid any compatibility problems (right?). I don’t want to crap shoot building a system myself. Thus, I chose the Pavilion Elite e9150t for exclusive use of the PE7 with the following configuration:

Vista Business 64, SP1

Intel Core i7-975, 3.33GHz, (1MB L2 + 8MB L3 w/QPI - unimportant for NLE?)

6x2GB DDR3, 1066MHz SDRAM

2x500GB RAID 0, 7200 SATA

1GB nVidia GeForce GTS 250 (at the performance level I chose from Videoguys’ chart, Videoguys recommended Quadro over GeForce, Quadro not offered by HP with this model) http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+System+recommendations+for+Video+Editing/0x4aebb06ba071d2b 6a2cd784ce243a6c6.aspx

Blu-ray writer, Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner

Integrated 7.1 sound (no other option allowed with the GeForce graphics card selected)

2xHP 21.5” 2159m, 1920x1080p, 3000:1, 3ms (oddly, the tool wouldn’t allow me to choose more than 1 monitor). http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store &category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=Performance+and+entertainment&series_name=e9150t_series

I wonder if it would be wise to select the $220 option for HP to install everything in my home office, including PE7 - based on all the installation/setup trouble I’ve seen on these forums? Many people must be wasting exorbitant amounts of time on this, some possibly rendering their software and/or hardware unuseable?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Can Premiere Elements 7 be split onto 2 LCDs?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

2x500GB RAID 0, 7200 SATA

This is the only thing that I would change. I would add a smaller SATA II as my OS/Program HDD. A Velicoiraptor, or similar would be a good choice for this. I'd keep the RAID 0 for my Media and my Page File HDD, and add one more 500GB SATA II HDD for my Projects and their Scratch Disks. This will give you all of the I/O sub-system that you need, and utilize the strengths of each disk to the maximum.

A RAID 0 is a bad idea for a system disk, from a safety aspect. One disc fails, and you have lost everything, as it is split between the two physical HDD's. Also, though faster than a single HDD, if everything is reading to, writing from, there WILL be a bottleneck with the controller. I am assuming that you will be managing your stripping via software, or an on-board chip. This will work OK for a RAID 0. The best would be a controller card, but for just the Media RAID, this would be unnecessarliy expensive. I'd spend that $ on the 2 additional HDD's.

The reason that I would choose the RAID 0 for your Media & Page File is two fold:

1.) for playback, the I/O sub-system is more important than the CPU, if the files do not require a lot of decompression via CODEC.

2.) the Page File will be on your fastest disk (though it's actually 2 in a stripped array), and once your NLE reads your media files, there is little other activity to/from that HDD, until you Export, etc.. There is always heavy activity to/from the Page File, so give your fastest disc, the RAID, something to do in the downtime.

This suggestion will give you the best of all worlds, and is probably the least expensive thing you can do. Your overall editing experience will benefit from day 1.

While the Quadro, mentioned in the first post, is good, and I use one and love it, the differential in $ will show up instantly if you drop back on the vid-card to any number of really good, though less expensive, one and put the $ into the I/O sub-system.

Good luck, and sounds like a great machine.

Do follow Steve's tips in the FAQ section on keeping your machine clean and updated. I'd plan on spending two days removing some of the bloat-ware that HP (or any reseller) is likely to stick on the machine. Lean, clean and mean are the words of the day!

Even with your machine, I'd look into turning off AV, spyware and pop-up blockers at editing time. Remember, when one does this, they cannot have ANY Internet presence, but then they are editing, and not surfing the 'Net. Turn these all back on, when ever going on-line, even for an instant.

I do not remember if I added these three links before, but they are always worth adding again:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436196?tstart=0
              http://forums.adobe.com/message/1967837#1967837
              http://forums.adobe.com/message/1936577#1936577

Harm Millard is the resident hardware guru on the Adobe PrPro forum and has done these three wonderful and insightful articles. Each is worth it's weight in gold. Take each to heart and pair them with Steve's FAQ articles and you'll have a monster of a machine that will serve you perfectly.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can Premiere Elements 7 be split onto 2 LCDs?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I wonder if it would be wise to select the $220 option for HP to install everything in my home office, including PE7 - based on all the installation/setup trouble I’ve seen on these forums? Many people must be wasting exorbitant amounts of time on this, some possibly rendering their software and/or hardware unuseable?

I'm responding separately to this, because I had to ponder it a bit. With few exceptions, I always set up all software, outside of the OS. I used to always do that too, but have a good shop that does all of my machines now, and they know graphics workstations as that is all they do.

That said, you make a good point. I do not know how much support HP will give on this package, after the machine ships, nor do I know their tech's knowledge of an NLE. Still, with PE, there is not much that one can do wrong in the installation, provided it is done properly. Anything that they assign incorrectly, can be easily changed by you. I think that I would buy that package, and let them do it all. With other software, like MS Office, etc., I'd opt for a rather minimal installation and then add components, as you require them. I'd also ask that nothing additional be added.

To exemplify, I bought a Toshiba laptop some years back, to do light NLE and PS work. It was their top-of-the-line, and came with nothing but the OS. It took me a week to clean all the "stuff" out of that machine, and I do not think that I ever got all of AOL, as I'd get pop-up from AOL, until the day the machine died. Replaced it with a Sager laptop. Had Office installed and nothing else. It took one hour to alter my configuration, and eliminate MSN Messenger. That was it. Clean, lean and mean. When a new workstation hits, I configure my LAN, setup my Desktop icons, and install my working programs. I do not even have to eliminate MSN Messenger, because my reseller does that for me. Now, I do have to eliminate it after every hot-fix, or update from MS, as they really, really want that little sucker on everyone's machine. Still, I can be cranking out videos or images, as soon as I install PS and PrPro. No extra work deleting unnecessary programs - these workstations come clean with a well-configured OS and that is all.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can Premiere Elements 7 be split onto 2 LCDs?
                  Ed.Macke Level 3
                  I am assuming that you will be managing your stripping via software

Did you mean "... managing your striping via software"?  

• 6. Re: Can Premiere Elements 7 be split onto 2 LCDs?
                    Ed.Macke Level 3

Vista Business 64

I recall seeing several issues on the forum where things weren't working so great on 64-bit platforms, and also that PRE was not certified for use on 64-bit.

Would a 32-bit OS be a better choice?

• 7. Re: Can Premiere Elements 7 be split onto 2 LCDs?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well duh! I guess that I was reading the e-mail headers for some questionable Web sites, while I was typing. Heck, even SpellCheck would not have caught that one. Shows that I can't mult-task. BTW, I deleted all those e-mails from those unsavory sites, in case anyone is wondering...

Hunt

• 8. Re: Can Premiere Elements 7 be split onto 2 LCDs?
                        D0NNN Level 1

Hello Hunt,

Thanks for all the excellent thoughtful tips. i checked on the Lager NP9280 configured similarly to the HP desktop and the Lager is about twice the price. Anyway, i still have to ask HP if 2 more HDDs can be added to their box, or if not, external is ok, right?  How many GB for the SATA2 solid state drive if the 'puter is PE7-exclusive. Also, one reviewer on the HP site said that he was tickled pink to see that the e9150t that he got had virtually no "fat" on it to uninstall.

Thanks,

Don

• 9. Re: Can Premiere Elements 7 be split onto 2 LCDs?
                          Ed.Macke Level 3

Hunt: Did you see my question about Vista 64-bit?

Don: If you're going to add external drives, make sure the machine has Firewire or preferably eSATA hookups.

• 10. Re: Can Premiere Elements 7 be split onto 2 LCDs?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The reason for the internals is that one can split so many tasks amongst them easily. Now, I have the 3x 200GB SATA II's, but many of my Projects get shuffled around between my laptop and my workstation. To do this, I put the Projects on 2TB FW-800 externals, including copies of all of my Assets and also my Scratch Disks. The location of all of this onto one drive is less than ideal, but it allows me protability.

I have FW800 connections on both the laptop and on the workstation. I have also named each drive the exact same in the OS of both machines. This means that when I plug in external Z:\, it will appear as Z:\ on both machines and PrPro (or PE) does not have an issue finding my Assets. This is very, very important, should one move Projects between machines - establish the same exact drive letter for each external in each OS, and mark them clearly.

Yes, the Sagers are not cheap. However, I have gotten my $'s worth out of mine, and would buy another in a heartbeat. However, the workstation gets the next redo, so I hope that the laptop continues to perform.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on the HP configuration that you go with, and how it performs. I hear a lot of good things about the current crop of HP laptops.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Can Premiere Elements 7 be split onto 2 LCDs?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry Ed, I almost missed it. As for 64-bit, I am still running XP-Pro on all of my machines. I have seen some issues with Vista-64, but most seem to be ironed out. Though not certified for 64-bit, most users seem to have great luck running PE on Vista-64. The jury is still out on Win7, and only time, and an actual release of that OS will tell. Sorry that I can't really share anything on 64-bit OS's.

As for the connection to the externals, I would strongly recommend a minimum of FW-800, even if it means getting an ExpressCard for the connection. I could not stand editing from FW-400 and USB was a poor joke with all sorts of "other" problems. eSAT would be even better and would be my recommendation were one buying the controller/card/ExpressCard and new external drives. Few of mine are eSATA, so I have the legacy hardware issue to deal with. FW-800 has been great and adequately fast. I'm kinda's stuck with it for a bit, though that is not really a bad thing - eSATA would just be faster yet.

Hunt