8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2010 2:07 PM by Casperroz85

FHD video

deb1992 Level 1

Does Premiere Pro CS4 handle FHD video?  We have a Casio EX-F1 and wanted to know what import settings we should use to maintain the highest quality possible.

• 1. Re: FHD video
          Harm Millaard Level 7

No, either convert to editable format or use a consumer software package. This is a still camera, not a video camera. Maybe Casio has some software to edit that stuff.

• 2. Re: FHD video
            deb1992 Level 1

I had a chance to test FHD video this morning from the Casio camera and was able to import it into PPro CS4 without any problem, using my regular project settings.

• 3. Re: FHD video
              Harm Millaard Level 7

What were your regular project settings?

• 4. Re: FHD video
                deb1992 Level 1

We just used the normal HDV 1080i30 (60i) settings.

• 5. Re: FHD video
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

That is astonishing, since the camera uses it's own compression scheme, with a data flow of between 8-12 Mb/s and HDV is 25 Mb/s.

• 6. Re: FHD video
                    Casperroz85

Hello, I also have a ex-f1 and just found out the movies aren't displayed properly in adobe premiere. The movies are jerky or are not played continuesly, what settings should I use? (I've tried the settings discussed above) or what software should I use for edditing these movies?  Thanks in advance.

• 7. Re: FHD video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Does the Casio ship with any software, or utilities? If so, that would be the first place that I would look.

Since the OP indicated that they were able to Import and edit, it is possible that they installed a necessary CODEC, and that might be all that you will need to do, as well. With some cameras, the mfgrs. ship the proprietary CODEC in either a utility, as an individual install, with a driver, or perhaps installed with an editing/file handling utility. If you have a disc, look closely at it. Install any driver, and any utilities/editing programs.

For some background on CODEC's, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: FHD video
                        Casperroz85 Level 1

Thanks for the tip. I have read the info about the CODEC's I didn't realize video editing can be so complicated. I've always used imovie and other easy-to-use movie editing programs with only one HD camera. I'm now using a borrowing the ex-f1 camera, so I have to ask for extra Casio software. Hopefully I will find something. Thanks again.