18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 10:03 AM by sunlit777

XV color

deb1992 Level 1

Is X.V. (xvYCC) color supported?  If so, what settings should be used when opening a new project?

• 1. Re: XV color
          Harm Millaard Level 7

From what video camera? AFAIK XV is a display technique for LCD screens and is not used in video cameras.

• 2. Re: XV color
            deb1992 Level 1

The video camera we are using is the Sony HCR-Z5U

• 3. Re: XV color
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Just a normal HDV preset is good. XV does not enter the picture.

• 4. Re: XV color
                sunlit777 Level 1

I did not quite get about x.v. not in the picture? Sony claims to have two color modes for its video - standard and enhanced x.v. color which is supposed to be another color space covering billions of colors.

It's been around for some time now, and I have searched adobe forums to no avail - not one helpful explanation on how to deal with it in Premier when editing and exporting avchd footage.

• 5. Re: XV color
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Reread #1. XV is a display technique, not a recording technique. XV is not used in video cameras AFAIK.

• 6. Re: XV color
                    sunlit777 Level 1

well, I got x.v. color option (vs standard color) in my SONY HDR-SR12. It is set at the time of shooting, and a special icon lights up on display when shooting x.v. color. Now are you saying this is just display trick? Does not seem so to me.

• 7. Re: XV color
                      Curt Wrigley Level 4

deb1992 wrote:

The video camera we are using is the Sony HCR-Z5U

I assume you mean the HVR-Z5U; which is an HDV Cam.  Use an HDV preset.

• 8. Re: XV color
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

sunlit777 wrote:

well, I got x.v. color option (vs standard color) in my SONY HDR-SR12. It is set at the time of shooting, and a special icon lights up on display when shooting x.v. color. Now are you saying this is just display trick? Does not seem so to me.

Many cameras shoot in different modes; like vibrant, movie mode, etc...  As HARM has said; this adjusts how the camera processes the image, exposure, color saturation; not how it records it to tape.

• 9. Re: XV color
                          sunlit777 Level 1

no I mean just what I wrote, I am talking about SONY HDR -SR12 and the x.v. color shooting mode it's got.

• 10. Re: XV color
                            sunlit777 Level 1

guys, x.v. color is not (according to sony) an image adjustment. IT is said to be a technology that enables to capture (and display on compatible with x.v. color panels) color gamut covering billions (vs. millions of colors in standard RGB).

I am still waiting for an opinion from somebody who has at least cared to read what x.v. color is (claimed by Sony to be)...

• 11. Re: XV color
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

It is not the shooting mode that is changed, it is the display mode that is changed. The recording is still in 4:2:0 colorspace with the same bitrate. Unless Sony supplies a new codec AND that codec is supported by PR AND the bitrate is upped significantly for a higher colorspace, it is all marketing hype, IMO.

• 12. Re: XV color
                                Curt Wrigley Level 4

sunlit777 wrote:

no I mean just what I wrote, I am talking about SONY HDR -SR12 and the x.v. color shooting mode it's got.

If you will read more carefully you will see I was replying to Deb with that response .   She has a different camera than you.

Your camera is a budget AVCHD cam.  Pr edits AVCHD but you need a monstor PC to do it well.

• 13. Re: XV color
                                  sunlit777 Level 1

Sorry for confusion with replying about camera makes. BTW my Corei7 with 12 gb RAM is doing AVCHD just nicely. However the issue is still with x.v. color, which is claimed to be a different colorspace (think adobe rgb vs standard rbg In image formats) - and surely proper support is needed to interpret footage shot in different colorspace (at least that is so with jpg images)

• 14. Re: XV color
                                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

Vendors make all kinds of claims of how their camera captures and processes the best image.  But it recordss AVCHD  according to the camera specs, just like every other avchd cam.

• Format : HD: MPEG4 AVC/H.264 SD: MPEG2
                                    • Video Signal : NTSC color, EIA standards
                                    • 15. Re: XV color
                                      sunlit777 Level 1

Please explain then how photo cameras can shoot adobe rgb and standard RGB within the same jpeg image container, and nobody seems to say that adobe rgb is just a manufacturer claim. It does encompass a wider gamut, doesn't it?

• 16. Re: XV color
                                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

You are comparing two different things.    In your analogy, if you camera is set to JPG mode; it does not matter what other color processing it does on the front end. In the end it is saving in JPG mode.   In video world there is an anolgy to RAW format in the RED video format.  With RED, Pr can manipulate various color attributes simalr to how PS works with RAW images.

But when a cam records avchd; it cant create a new color space or it wouldnt be avchd.

That doesnt mean sony hasnt invented some fantastic way to process color inside the camera and save it to avchd in a more faithful reproduction.  But; its still avchd.

The specs I quoted above are from Sony's spec page on your cam.  I didnt make them up.

• 17. Re: XV color
                                          sunlit777 Level 1

here is the article on x.v. color from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.v._Color

still waiting for comments from Premier experts....

• 18. Re: XV color
                                            sunlit777 Level 1

I brought in an analogy from photo imaging, dealing with the same issue - color spaces. How can you say its completely different things?

jpg file can be either adobe rgb or simple rgb (or a number of other spaces) - and if you load an adobe rgb jpeg into an editor that has no idea jpg can contain different (from simple sRGB) color spaces you end up with color reproduction errors, especially if you go on processing the image. Please read the wikipedia article - it explains how Sony managed to squeeze additional color data into standard aVCHD stream.

I am glad you finally acceded to Sony being fantastic! So it's not just hype and baseless manufacturers' claims?