3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 5:03 PM by red-mike

PC static font not displaying correctly on Mac?

Daniel Gimness Level 1

Hi,

I have a PC fiash file with static body text that is New Gothic font. The published swf looks great on the PC, though when testing on Mac, none of the text appears. I thought that with static text fields, the font is automatically embedded?

Can anyone offers any suggestions as to how I can get the font to display properly on a Mac?

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: PC static font not displaying correctly on Mac?
          red-mike

You need to 'break apart' your text so that Flash interprets it as vector lines instead of text. You should be doing this with all non-standard fonts to guarantee what you see on one computer is what you see everywhere else.

Select the text. Go to 'modify' at the top and choose break apart.

• 2. Re: PC static font not displaying correctly on Mac?
            Daniel Gimness Level 1

Hi red-mike,

This is not an option as I need to update the text fields in the future. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

• 3. Re: PC static font not displaying correctly on Mac?
              red-mike Level 1

Well there are probably people that know better than me. But I have a rule of not using any fonts that aren't standard fonts everywhere. (Arial, Courier New, and Times New Roman) If you don't already know, fonts are loaded on the local computer, (the user's computer) if they don't have the specific font you selected from all the fonts loaded on your computer, they won't see the work you did in the format you did it in, if at all.

So make your titles sexy and cool and break those apart so they look exactly how you want them, but unfortunately if your project is intended for the world wide web, you have to abide by web standards to ensure the majority of users can view it and this especially applies to text.

Hope this answers your question. I don't know if I'm telling you stuff you already know here, but like I said, others may know better.