5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 3:40 PM by trmnshwrx

Flex not understanding ArrayCollection passed from PHP

trmnshwrx

First, I'm using Flex Builder 3, Wamp with PHP 5.2.9-2 and MySQL 5.1.33.  I'm also using the Zend Framework to get data from MySQL.

I have Flex using an HTTPService to send a request; the server then executes some PHP that reads a MySQL database, writes each row into an array, all the rows into an array.  Though I have changed the actual data, here's what my a call on my MySQL database returns:

SELECT  *
      FROM  `table1`
      LIMIT 0 , 30

1     VideoDescription     filename.flv

2     otherDescription      filename2.flv

3     thirdDescription       filename3.flv

The names of the columns are "id", "title", and "source", respectively.

The arrays in php seem to work fine, because in PHP,

print($result[1]['title']);

will give us "otherDescription", and we can see that easily in Flex.

The problem is that I don't want "otherDescription"; I want the whole table passed to Flex as an array collection.

I am able to pass the array from php, and then it is just an "Array" that I can't do anything with.  No matter what I trace from it, it always says "Array", or it simply does not work...why is this?  Why can't I get anything out of it?  The only useful thing I can pass from PHP to Flex is a String, and that's kind of awkward for what I'm doing.

Here's my PHP code:

<?php

require('Zend/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php');

$arr = array('host' => '127.0.0.1','username' => 'root','password' => '','dbname' => 'videolist');

$db = new Zend_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Mysql($arr);

$db->getConnection();

$sql = 'SELECT * FROM `table1` LIMIT 0 , 30';

$result = $db->fetchAll($sql, 2);

$resultArray = array();

foreach($result as $resultItem){

foreach($resultItem as $itemFragment){

$resultArrayFragment[] = $resultItem;

}

$resultArray[] = $resultArrayFragment;

}

echo $result;  // or, to illustrate the way the array collection works, we can put "$result[1]['title'];", in which case, Flex will show "otherDescription"

//  for the traces below

?>

Here's my relevant ActionScript:

private function onResult():void{     //this is fired as we get a result after calling the HTTPService send()

var result = userRequest.lastResult;

trace("trace 1 = " + String(userRequest.lastResult));     // produces: "Array"

trace("trace 2 = " + result[1]["title"]);                           // produces: "Array"

trace("trace 3 = " + result[1]["title"][0][0][0][0]);            // STILL just produces: "Array"

var someDataProvider:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection(userRequest.lastResult.valueOf());

trace("trace 4 = " + result[0]);                                     // produces: "RangeError: Index '1' specified is out of bounds..."

}