10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 11:26 AM by heathrowe

slice issues

akshan2888

HELP!!

I created a site in firewoeks, including a nav bar, but when I export it to Dreamweaver, it comes up in the browser in slices. I have tried a bunch of different ways of resizing the slcies, but to no avail, I could recreate the nav. bar in DW, but I was under the impression that FW was ideal for creating these types of tools (its a simple site)...what am I missing?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: slice issues
          Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

Can you give us a link to your site or your png file?

• 2. Re: slice issues
            akshan2888 Level 1

Will do as soon as I figure this other issue out....

• 3. Re: slice issues
              Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

It is hard to understand the problem this way. You use css and images export? Someone could help you if you upload your original png file or post an image of your work.

• 4. Re: slice issues
                akshan2888 Level 1

The site is gregorindental.com

• 5. Re: slice issues
                  akshan2888 Level 1

I can see the slices, I just cant figure out how to eliminate them.

The actual site is gregorindental.com

also, when you look it up, its headed as index, I need to remane something....kinda brain dead today....

thanks

• 6. Re: slice issues
                    pixlor Level 4

akshan2888 wrote:

... I could recreate the nav. bar in DW, but I was under the impression that FW was ideal for creating these types of tools (its a simple site)...what am I missing?

You're under the wrong impression. Fireworks is not ideal for creating nav bars. Use FW to creat the images, export them, and then use Dreamweaver to recreate the nav bar. You'll be much happier with the result.

• 7. Re: slice issues
                      akshan2888 Level 1

If I recreate the nav bar, will the slice issues go away?

Thanks,

S

PS, I had a  work partner who did code, but no longer, I really am just a designer, with an actual art degree, is it okay for me to ask if there is someone out there who is looking for part time work of this nature? Learning code isn’t really my thing,...I design, do photography and experimental inkjet printing...not code.

Thanks again

• 8. Re: slice issues
                        pixlor Level 4

I've looked at your site. I see what you mean. The content area is being served up as sliced images, not HTML. You don't want that. Search engines can't read text in images, so if anyone tried looking for this dental office, they wouldn't be able to find this site from a search engine. Also, it means the text blocks are a bit blurry. The text needs to be HTML text not images. What you have is more scanned brochure than Web site. If you don't know how to code, then you need to learn (fast), find another partner, or subcontract that out.

A couple of design points... First, on the Web, underlined text commonly means the text is a link. If you want to emphasize some text, it is better to use bold or italics and reserve the underlines for links. Second, some of your images and text blocks look distorted, as if you stretched them to make them the same size. It doesn't look good.

Here are a couple of places I think you should look:

SitePoint's "Learn HTML and CSS: An Absolute Beginner’s Guide" tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/html-css-beginners-guide/, which is very complete (at 19 pages). Go through the example because that will tell you if this is something you can do or not.

Lots of good stuff at Smashing Magazine http://www.smashingmagazine.com/ (Check the ads on the right-hand side, there are a two or three places that offer to convert designs into HTML and CSS. Do your research, I only know the ads are there!)

• 9. Re: slice issues
                          akshan2888 Level 1

I agree, If I can't find someone, I will be give up this portion of design, it's way too time consuming, and I really don’t enjoy it. I will be changing the photos, redoing the nav bar and trying to figure out why it is listed as Index, not the website name...perhaps you have suggestions? The coder flaked on me mid-project, so I am trying to finish it up ...then I'll just continue with my photography.....which I am much better at then coding of any kind!!

Thanks

• 10. Re: slice issues
                            heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

akshan I sent you a private message.

h