12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 7:42 AM by the_wine_snob

Transitions & efffects in timeline

Mark Wynn

I'm new to Prem Pro CS4 but getting on well. I am experiencing a problem when trying to drag/drop any effect or transition on to clips in the timeline. More often than not it just wont drag there many attempts then suddenly it will. I have no problem in dragging any affect into the Effects Control panel but naturally not transitions.

Additional problem is that having got a transition between a couple of clips when played it occasionally doesn't show at all. It's just as though it's not there. Any suggestions please. Mark.

• 1. Re: Transitions & efffects in timeline
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Any suggestions please.

Some suggestions

• 2. Re: Transitions & efffects in timeline
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

Without more details, I can only guess, but it sounds like you need to Target your Video (or Audio for Audio Transitions) Track. If you can drag from the Effects Panel, you should be able to do the same to the Timeline. Make sure that you have Targeted your Video Track, or you will get the behavior that you describe, 'cause PrPro doesn't know where you want to place the Effect, or Transition.

As for them disappearing, we'll have to get more details, and maybe a screen-cap of your Timeline, to help there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Transitions & efffects in timeline
              Mark Wynn Level 1

Thanks for the reply, I will follow up and come back if I can give you further gen. Mark

• 4. Re: Transitions & efffects in timeline
                Powered by Design Level 4

make sure to expand your timeline so you can see more.

if your to far from the ends a transition wont grab.

you cant drop a transition in the middle.

Enjoy:  Glenn

• 5. Re: Transitions & efffects in timeline
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Why did you not answer the questions posed, nor supply the info requested in the other link?

• 6. Re: Transitions & efffects in timeline
                    Mark Wynn Level 1

Hello Harm,

Thanks for PM received a while ago. Twice I tried to reply to the mail direct but they appeared to 'bounce' so I must assume you didn't get the replies. However this is just about what I said. . . . . . . 

I am following the tips given and will spend some time today seeing if I can resolve the problem and will report back. Please forgive us learners being a little slow. I have been using Prem 6.5 so CS4 is a big learning curve. I really appreciate your interest and help but as I'm now 75 I am not so fast as I used to be in these sometimes complex procedures. For instance navigating around this site takes a little learning to start with. Phew!

Again thanks. Mark

• 7. Re: Transitions & efffects in timeline
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Mark,

Coming from 6.5 with their A/B editing and going to CS4 is completely different. What may help you is the following:

You have Clip 1 in video track 1. You need a second clip with a transition in between. First place Clip 2 in video track 2 and have them overlap as you did in 6.5. Then instead of placing the transition in the effects track, drag Clip2 down to track 1 so it overlaps Clip 1. Then  drag the transition to the place where these two clips meet. By doing it this way you have a workflow that is somewhat similar to 6.5

What is required to understand how this works in CS4 is to read up about Handles. Hope this helps.

• 8. Re: Transitions & efffects in timeline
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the main info on Handles:

Handles_01.jpg

There's a lot more, but this covers the basics. It is an easier concept to grasp with A-B Roll editing, whether film or video. The difference in later versions of PrPro is that the Handles (overlap) are still there, but you just do not see them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Transitions & efffects in timeline
                          Mark Wynn Level 1

Thanks for replies. I do understand what you are explaining Harm. This is what I have done today. Made the Timeline bigger and expanded etc. as suggested. Started a new dummy project with a selection of suitable clips to practice with. I have spent a couple of hours placing transitions and effects (that I will never use in life) with absolutely no problem at all. I was beginning to think that perhaps my problem might be caused by a corrupt project when - suddenly the problem returned.

I just could not drag a transition to a join between two clips as I had been able to earlier.  I have tried going slow then fast. I tried keeping the place I wanted the transition reasonably close to the effects panel (on left). I tried dragging above the video track and then under the audio track. This is going to be hard to describe. . . . As I dragged towards the spot needed it just failed and sometime an unwanted marquee line square was drawn. Occasionally as I dragged the effect to the right towards the Timeline panel as it crossed the border between the two panels it started to resize the panels. The effects panel was made bigger and the Timeline panel smaller. Hope that explains it.

What then happened is that Premiere just seemed to lock and I had difficulty in getting out of it at all. Just very frustrating. It's worth a mention that the machine is a new custom made machine with Matrox RTX2 etc. etc. and I would just mention that although I'm a newbie  to CS4 I have been with Premiere since Ver 5.1 upwards so I do have a little but not advanced experience.

Thanks so much again both for wracking your brains. Mark

• 10. Re: Transitions & efffects in timeline
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

Maybe it's just an easy target, but have you considered that the Matrox card could be part of the issue?

Also, if you are on CS4.1 (recent update), I believe that Matrox has released the final CS4.1 driver to fix a bunch of issues. It was released as beta, but think that the real one is now out.

A couple of questions:

1.) are you working with a test Project with a Matrox Preset? If so, what happens if you do not use a Matrox Preset?

2.) with Transitions, what happens if you place the CTI (Current Time Indicator) between the Clips (PageUP/PageDN), and hit Ctrl-d to place the default Transistion there?

3.) do any of your Clips have a little triangle at the Head, or the Tail?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Transitions & efffects in timeline
                              Mark Wynn Level 1

Thanks Hunt for thoughtful suggestions. I will follow up. In the meanwhile I have mentioned that my kit is new from a respected dealer who does offer a good support service. However I didn't want to become one of those customers who is always asking for help on minor things instead of trying to learn for myself so that's why I joined this forum and I do appreciate the advice given.

I think I will contact my Matrox dealer and see what I can learn from them. It's the first time I have had Matrox as for years I had a Pinnicle DV500 card. (It's all so new you see). If I learn much of interest I will report back.

Thanks again.

Mark

• 12. Re: Transitions & efffects in timeline
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                However I didn't want to become one of those customers who is always asking for help on minor things instead of trying to learn for myself so that's why I joined this forum and I do appreciate the advice given.

That is understandable and commendable. Pursuing this little problem in the Matrox and Pr fora is a good first step.

I was just trying to rule out possibilities. Since even well-built Matrox boxes have caused some issues, unique to Matrox, it could easily be a suspect, even if totally innocent in this case.

If you have the exact same issues in a non-Matrox Project, it might help rule the card out, though so long as it's installed, one might never be 100% certain.

If you have not done so, you might post to the Matrox forum, just to see if other Matrox users have encountered this issue. Kinda' like our take, for a Pr perspective, if someone there has the same issue with another NLE program, that might rule out Pr as the culprit.

Trouble shooting is so often a process of elimination, i.e. if making a change doesn't help, move on to another possibility.

Good luck, and please keep this thread updated, even if the problem does turn out to be Matrox related. It will benefit someone else in the future.

Hunt