8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 7:53 PM by the_wine_snob

Bad .MOVs

ptelian Level 1

This may be an issue you're already familiar with. When I export an .mov with Adobe Media Encoder, the text is very thick and splotchy and the fades don't show.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. The white should fade to black, and the text is a crisp Arial and it should fade in and out.

Is there a trick to fix this bug?

• 1. Re: Bad .MOVs
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yeah, I know what you mean. I rented one of those last weekend and was it ever "bad?"

Sorry, could not resist.

Now, it appears that your attached file, or link did not make it through. I've not heard of this, though there have been some issues with washed out material with MOV and possibly MP4 Export.

Please list your Project's Preset, your Assets (full details please), and all of your Export settings.

You might want to try the attachment again, or at least do a screen-cap showing the problem.

Someone will likely be able to spot an issue and help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Bad .MOVs
            ptelian Level 1

lol.

The link works fine for me. You sure it doesn't work?

I'm just doing a regular widescreen 1024kbps. Nothing complicated.

• 3. Re: Bad .MOVs
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, worked fine this AM. Do not know why it seemed dead yesterday afternoon.

Wow, now that is some "distressed" type!

I would guess that it is something in either your original Assets, or you exact Export settings, and probably a mis-match between these someplace.

Tell us more about the Assets, especially things like Interlacing, Field Order, and then list the complete Export Settings, concentrating especially on Interlacing and Field Order, but do not omit anything.

My bet is that we will find the mis-match, and someone will have the solution, but we do need the details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Bad .MOVs
                ptelian Level 1

Would the way I've been using the adobe clip notes preset have an affect on these things?

(I just did a file>export>media>quicktime and it worked)

• 5. Re: Bad .MOVs
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, Clipnotes. There was a handful of issues with CS4 (early releases) and Acrobat (maybe vers. 9?), where Clipnotes caused all sorts of issues.

I thought that Adobe had taken care of this with the CS4.1 update, plus a recent Acrobat update. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe you do not have the latest updates of both programs.

Glad to hear that you got a good Export to .MOV. Other than Clipnotes, is anything else missing, or bad? Did the Titles look a lot better?

Check your Acrobat for updates, and if you do not have CS4.1, do strongly consider that too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Bad .MOVs
                    Dag Norum Level 2
                    Would the way I've been using the adobe clip notes preset have an affect on these things?

May I put it this way:

Ground-loops should be avoided, and a common ground-point should be used, right? (practically done on PCB's, a ground-plane (one layer for only ground)). Clip Notes, seems to me like it's not correctly grounded, meaning that noise is (or can be) introduced into the ground itself seen at the point of interest (the export in this case). That can make hiccups at sensitive levels as text edges and slow slopes (as transitions).

Makes sense?

Dag

PS! Used to work with (well, avoid such) microvolt levels of self(internal)-noise.

• 7. Re: Bad .MOVs
                      ptelian Level 1

I have 4.1 and I'm not embeding the mov in a pdf. I like the clipnotes export because it gives me good looking video at a low file size. The preset often works great, except for that issue with the fades and text.

The mov I exported apart from clipnotes was a much bigger file. But my fades and text are there.

• 8. Re: Bad .MOVs
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Out of curiosity, what version of Acrobat do you have on your system?

Good luck,

Hunt