4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 1:52 PM by the_wine_snob

Changing the volume of main menu audio

teame12

I was also wondering if there is a way to change the volume of the audio I placed in the background of my main menu page in PE4. Once I originally created the menu (from a template), I can no longer access/modify the song I placed in it. Thanks again.

• 1. Re: Changing the volume of main menu audio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, you can't change the volume of a menu page background, teame.

The best solution is to use a program like Audacity (a free sound editor) to lower the volume of the original audio file.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Changing the volume of main menu audio
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve's rec. for AUDACITY is a great one. Besides being free, it's a powerful little Audio editor.

What I would do is go to the location of your Menu Audio file (whichever folder it is located in), Copy it to someplace else for later use at full volume, and then Open the original (from its original location - this is important) in Audacity and adjust the Volume to suit. Save. This will overwrite the original, same name, same location.

I believe that PE will then use the link that you made (nothing has changed, except the contents of the file) and just keep right on going with the new Audio file, instead of the original. I do not believe that PE creates a Cache File for Menu Audio, like some programs do.

The only possible problem could be with the format of the file used originally. If it's anything but a PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit file, then PE will have Conformed (CFA file) and created a PEK (Waveform Display, even though you would not be viewing this, like an Audio file on the Timeline). These CFA and PEK files might well be in a Cache, if you used, say MP3, as your source Audio format. If so, it could well be that PE would now use that old CFA file, instead of re-Conforming the edited Audio file. If so, just go in and remove the link to the Menu Audio, and then re-Link to that same file, which has been edited. I just do not know the inner-workings of PE with Menu Audio. Try the first method, and if the Volume is still where it was, un-Link and re-Link to the edited Audio file.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS, when authoring a DVD, I always create my Menu Audio separately, and seldom use anything above about -6db to -9db for my Volume setting. I want the Menu music to be quite soft, and not call any attention to itself. I also use pieces that fade in and out and have repetition in them, so I can use the same piece for Sub-Menus, and it seems like the music is playing seamlessly, though it is not. I find that most Menu music, even in well-done commercial DVD's is too loud and this grates on me. I believe that Menu music should truely be background - heard if one listens for it, but otherwise totally unobtrusive. OK, enough of Hunt's philosophy on Menu music...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Changing the volume of main menu audio
              teame12 Level 1

Thank you very much for your answers! while I haven's yet had a chance to try them, they make sense and hopefully they will work. I still have a couple of questions/comments based on your response:

1.  Wen you say I shoudl locate my Menu Audio file, do you mean by serching the folders? I cannot find its location within my PE file when it's open. In the same way, I do not know how to actually change the file to another one from within the program. Perhaps I can only view it by searching for it on My Computer.

2. I really appreciate your comments on the manu audio (volume, type and music etc). Since this is my first time making a video, everything is new to me. If I find a way to change the menu song altogether (and set it to be very soft, as you recommend), I will select another one that doesn't cut off so strongly after 30 seconds. You mention fading... How can I make the menu audio fade in and out. I assume I can't do that in PE (as I can with all other background music in my project that I see in the timeline). Do you suggest Audacity for this as well even before I import it into the project's menu?

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Changing the volume of main menu audio
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                1.  Wen you say I shoudl locate my Menu Audio file, do you mean by serching the folders? I cannot find its location within my PE file when it's open. In the same way, I do not know how to actually change the file to another one from within the program. Perhaps I can only view it by searching for it on My Computer.

When you added the link to the Menu for Audio, how did you locate the file then? That would be the same place to look now.

Personally, I would Open that file into Audacity, or other Audio editor, make the changes there, and then Save_As, maybe sticking "menu" in its name, so you'll know that it is a different file. Back in PE, I would un-Link the Audio from the Menu, and then just re-Link to the one with the attenuated Volume. Also, you will want the Duration of this Audio file to be no more than 30 sec. (I think that is the Duration for both Menu Audio and Motion Video in PE).

How can I make the menu audio fade in and out. I assume I can't do that in PE (as I can with all other background music in my project that I see in the timeline). Do you suggest Audacity for this as well even before I import it into the project's menu?

This can be easily done in Audacity. It might even have a Preset for doing a Fade-in/Fade-out. I usually use Adobe Audition, or actually PrPro (PE's big-brother), as I often do DD 5.1 SS for the Menus, as well as Videos. In PrPro, I just create a new Sequence, something that PE does not have, edit the Audio only, as needed, and then Export as a DD 5.1 SS AC3 w/ the SurCode DD plug-in encoder. Though Adobe Encore, the authoring program that I use, has no limit on the Duration of Menu Audio (or Motion Menu Video), I still keep it to only about 30-40 secs, as I assume that the user will make a selection by that time. Also, with the repetitious nature of the music that I choose, and their Fade-in/Fade-out, if the Menu is up longer, it is not noticable that it has repeated.

I use music from a company, SmartSound, and a plug-in that works with PE and PrPro, to "create" custom music from their pieces. I've marked about 12 pieces that have the characteristics that I want, and will use one of the SmartSound variations on these. I also use a bunch of their music for my Soundtracks. Though it's not a plug-in, their SonicFire Pro 5 is amazing with what it can do with their Strata Multi-layer Series of Music.

It seems that their free plug-in comes with PE7, as well as a few pieces from their library. If you do not have PE7, the plug-in is free and works with about any flavor of PE, or PrPro. The music is not free, but over the years I've built up a significant library, whenever they have a sale.

Good luck,

Hunt