5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 6:42 AM by the_wine_snob

What has happened to the forums for lesser versions of PE?

dongle99 Level 1

I have struggled through the latest updates to the Adobe support/forums which have manifested themselves some time since my last visit only to find that another update in the last few days has deprived me of support for PE4. Have I missed a link somewhere or is this deliberate Adobe policy.

The reason I am using support is a need to be able to construct a custom DVD menu. I need a simple menu page with titles and buttons to which I can add a background of my choice and simple scenes pages with a plain background showing titles of scenes as specified on the DVD scene markers on the time line. None of the templates will allow me to do this easily.  Perhaps I should make this another question which I will do if I can find the correct forum to send it too.

• 1. Re: What has happened to the forums for lesser versions of PE?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Questions aren't removed, Donald. And people frequently come here for support for older versions of the program.

As for creating the DVD menu you describe, that's easy and you can pretty much do it right in the program, if you start with a general DVD template.

My free Steve's Tips download from Muvipix shows you how to use Premiere Elements DVD template customization features.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=41

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What has happened to the forums for lesser versions of PE?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve points out, all versions are now included into this one forum. I urge all who post, to put the version # in the title, as it helps others determine early on, which version is being asked about. If you go down the articles here, you will see all versions of the software (though many of the titles do not point that out). A good title would be "[PE4] Problems with MP3 Audio." That tells a reader what version is in use, what part of the program is acting up, and also which source files are causing the issue. Short, sweet, but with details. The titles are like magazine covers - you have to catch the attention of potential readers, and have little time to do so.

For a set of fora, that is broken out by version number, I strongly recommend also looking at the "Community" at Muvipix. That's the same place that Steve linked to for his article on Menus.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: What has happened to the forums for lesser versions of PE?
              dongle99 Level 1

Has my question been answered?  Sort of.

I have found a menu in PE4  which I can use for my project with the options available; but only just. It would, for example, be ideal if I could add another text item or two. on the main menu.

I have briefly tried to edit it in Photoshop but failed so far. It doesnt seem to realise I am trying to load up a template. If I try to load it up in New-DVDtemplate-Start from existing template it says it is changing its colours and after a few minute it then fails says it can't do it. I have downloaded Steves help booklet. I like the format but haven't managed to get started yet.

I often find it is the very beginning stages which are the most frustrating i.e. starting up a computer but failing to find the on/off switch.

And thanks for your help so far.

• 4. Re: What has happened to the forums for lesser versions of PE?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Donald, if you want to edit the DVD templates and do indepth DVD menu editing, you should pick up my latest book on Amazon, "The Muvipix.com Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 7."

It's really too complex to explain in a brief post on a forum.

I have also written a number of Steve's Tips articles for Muvipix and they are available on the products page.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/

There are articles on customizing a DVD menu in Premiere Elements as well as editing DVD templates in Photoshop Elements. Many are free and many others are available with a subcription membership to the site.

• 5. Re: What has happened to the forums for lesser versions of PE?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I have briefly tried to edit it in Photoshop but failed so far. It doesnt seem to realise I am trying to load up a template. If I try to load it up in New-DVDtemplate-Start from existing template it says it is changing its colours and after a few minute it then fails says it can't do it. I have downloaded Steves help booklet. I like the format but haven't managed to get started yet.

Which Menu, in particular, are you trying to Open in PS? With the PE4 Menus, even the Motion Menus, the .PSD that is the main structure of the Menu, is easy to load into PS. Text lines can be added, with the Text Tool. You want to do any editing on the .PSD's.

I would recommend that if one is going to create a new Menu "Set" from an existing one, that you take special care with the naming convention for the Menu Set. Also, that apply your unique name (still within the existing naminig convention) to both the MM (Main Menu) and the accompanying SM (Scene Selection Menu). Even if you have added your new text to just the MM. I would also copy any Motion Backgrounds, and other elements, add my chosen naming convention it the copy, so everything stays in order.

As a for instance:

In the PE4 folder hierarchy on my computer, I drill down to C:\Adobe\Premiere Elements\DVD Templates\General\(AV) Waterfall to find waterfall_mist_pal_s_mm.psd. It als has waterfall_mist_pal_s_sm.psd, as part of its "Set." I add a new line of text to the MM (Main Menu) and will want to save it. I'd rather not Save over the existing Menu, but instead create a new one. I'd choose waterfall_mist_pal_s_01_mm.psd, and Save into the same folder. I'd make a copy of the accompanying sm Menu, with that 01 addition added to it, as well, though I did not make any changes to it. Keeping the Set together is a good idea, because of PE's semi-automatic authoring capabilities. Also note that the naming convention was kept constant, and the 01 was added inside the existing characters with the _ used to separate the characters. Then, make a copy of each of the other assets associated with that Menu Set, i.e. the .png's and the .avi's and add the 01 in the same exact place. This way, PE will know that those Assets (the copies) belong with that Menu Set.

In PE, when you go to Menus, you will see that PE will actually select the Set of the two Menus, because it will use the sm when you have Chapter Markers. It will also utilize, or remove, Buttons, as will be needed.

Using the steps above, I can pretty much fill my Menu up with text, or graphics, etc. If I wish to alter any of the Buttons, I will keep the Layer Sets exactly as they are, and make my changes to the EN (English) version of the Button. When dealing with Buttons, remember a few rules: Buttons cannot overlap, even by 1 pxl.. The Sub-picture Highlights will ONLY be 2-bit color and will appear OVER all other aspects of the Button, when selected. The Sub-picture Highlight Layer needs to have visibility turned OFF, so it can be turned ON, only when selected.

Those are just some tips that I use, when customizing my Menus. It's a tad easier in Adobe Encore, because there is no semi-automation. One has to select, or create, the Main Menu, and then manually select, or create, any Scene Selection Menus. Also, one is working in either NTSC, or PAL and in 4:3 or 16:9, and also in only the intended language. Menus there are not viewed as Sets by the program, and only by the person doing the authoring. PE has a few unique aspects, and you want to follow all PE conventions, so that things work correctly in that program.

Good luck, and please let us know which Menu Set you're trying to edit.

Hunt