7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 12:29 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Pro CS4 Crashing on Render

Webshark2000 Level 1

Just made the switch to PrePro CS4.  Installed Vista 64 bit, and updated PrePro (4.1) and Matrox RT.X2 drivers (4.1).  I started a new Matrox SD project and imported a CS3 progject I'd been working on and everything seems to come up fine, except when I try to render.  Every time I go to render, it sits there for about 10-15 seconds and does nothing, then begins rendering, renders for about 15-20 seconds and then PrePro just closes, no warning or anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Crashing on Render
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Have you tried with a non-Matrox Project?

Does that Render?

Is the CS3 Project also a Matrox Project?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Crashing on Render
            Webshark2000 Level 1

I tried a Non-Matrox project and imported some of the footage previously captured using the Matrox Mpeg2 I-frame codec, which needed to be rendered.  It rendered without a problem.

The CS3 project was a Matrox project and all the footage was cptured using the Matrox Mpeg2 I-frame codec.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Crashing on Render
              Webshark2000 Level 1

Just tried creating a new project using the Matrox SD 4:3 NTSC settings and imported some of the footage from the problem project.  Put a couple effects on them so they needed to be rendered and they rendered without a problem.

So, the problem lies somewhere in converting the old CS3 project into CS4.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Crashing on Render
                Webshark2000 Level 1

Ok, here's something even more strange.  If I delete all of the audio clips, the video renders fine.  If I just turn off the audio clips it will still crash on render.  If I delete all of the audio and bring in some audio from the bin, it will crash on render.

I'm not sure why the audio is causing the problem.

• 5. SOLUTION
                  Webshark2000 Level 1

Ok, I finally got it to work after a lot of messing around.  I couldn't tell you exactly what I did, and it still has a very long (15-20 second) delay when I go to render video while there is audio in the timeline, but at least it's not crashing anymore.  It doesn't seem to be any audio, because if I'm using the audio that is attached to the video clips, that doesn't cause any problems (it will begin rendering immediately).  But when I bring in a WAV file (music or voiceover), that's when it begins acting strangely.

Does CS4 have some issue with WAV files?  Do they need to be conformed?  These are 44,100 16-bit, and the project settings are 48,000.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Crashing on Render
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

At this point, I would do a Render Replace for the Audio Clips, effectively converting them to PCM/WAV, and try again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: SOLUTION
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Does CS4 have some issue with WAV files?  Do they need to be conformed?  These are 44,100 16-bit, and the project settings are 48,000.

Usually, PrPro has no problems with PCM/WAV files. I always use, or convert to, PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, outside of PrPro, but it still does a nice job of Conforming. It will need to generate the PEK files (Audio Waveform Displays), but 44.1KHz material should not be an issue, especially if it's 16-bit. This is a touch odd. I have heard a few issues with Matrox cards and Audio, but those were usually playback and nothing like what you report.

Just as a test, I'd try converting (Audition or Soundbooth) the 44.1KHz material to 48KHz and Importing those. Should not make any difference, but a test would not hurt. For the test, I'd remove any other Audio, just so that you know exactly what you have.

Good luck,

Hunt