16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2009 7:56 PM by the_wine_snob

Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file

d00m_emte Level 1

I am having a few issues with Premiere CS4.

When I open up a new project or existing project I get the error "The scratch disks are write protected or unavailable. To open this project the scratch disks will be set to your My Documents."

I open anyway. I change my scratch disks to the appropriot folder.

Once I'm ready to export my movie and it the file saves and opens in the Encoder to render I get an error saying Encoder cannot find the file or it has moved. The source file is pulling from a temp folder not the actual folder the project is in.

I'm at a loss as to what's going on here. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall?

BTW I'm on a company laptop that is capible of running this program. I have full local admin rights.

Thank you for looking.

• 1. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you're on a PC, do you have Windows Indexing turned on for those HDD's and their folders? Turn it off for all of your HDD's and for each folder on them - Windows Explorer>Properties (for each HDD). Indexing will always be locking files and folders on you.

If that does not help, are these drives networked? If so, are they Mapped?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
            d00m_emte Level 1

Indexing was turned on. I unchecked and now it's applying attributes so I will let you know how it's going.

I've tried to save the proj files to my desktop, a networked (mapped ) drive, and to an external usb drive with the same result. I am in hopes this current step solves the problem.

I will update once completed.

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
              d00m_emte Level 1

Still coming up with the same issues after applying to all subfolders and files and a reboot.

• 4. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, while a program that gets in the way of work with an NLE, it seems that Windows Indexing was not the problem. You did not waste any time doing this, though it did not get you closer to a fix - sorry.

Let's step back then.

Are you running as an Administrator?

Can you create a new User Account with full administrative privledges and run PrPro from there? Same problem with the new User Account?

Tell us more about your HDD setup (the full I/O sub-system), and also about the networked drives.

This almost has to be a permissions/security issue then.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
                  d00m_emte Level 1

I had my Assistant Director run as Admin and it worked fine. So now they either have to give me the Admin password or find a work around for it?

What do companies do in cases like this? Is there an Adobe patch?

Thank you very much!!!!

• 6. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry that it took a few steps, but glad that you got it sorted out.

As for the way to handle it, your company should give you full Admin. privledges. Hey, they hold your paycheck, so they know they can trust you!

Unfortunatley, none of the Premiere line, nor Encore, are designed to work in a fully networked environment. This is especially tough with the academic community, where students in a lab setting have to have administrative rights. I've filed some Feature Requests for this support, though I am long removed from academia. Given Adobe's desire to do more in the academic setting, I would hope that they would see this as a positive to get more students editing on Pr.

To date, I know of no action on Adobe's part. I also have no clue as to how difficult or easy, such a change would be. Maybe an entire re-code?

Still, if enough people request, Adobe will hear the requests, and if it is not that big a deal, will likely incoporate the changes. I'd guess that it would not be until a full upgrade, that one would see it though.

Good luck, and maybe file a Feature Request when you have the time. They've already seen all of mine.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

My feeling is that it is more of a problem with Windows than with PR. Programs like PR require so may resources and rights, that being a user without administrative rights precludes rapid access to the required resources, because the system has to guard valid access for that user, so it introduces another layer for security reasons, which in turn slows down a system. That does not happen with full administrator rights. System Administrators often feel extremely reluctant to give a number of people administrator rights, especially on networks. One solution for those SA's is to use static DHCP servers, which will be more secure than dynamic DHCP servers due to the static combination of MAC and IP adresses. Of course the routers must support that and it may require subnetting.

• 8. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

That could well be the problem, at least on the PC. It pains me to see Mac NLE's that can go into a networked classroom situation and seem to perform pretty well. Now, there might well be a myriad issues, that I am not privy to, but I would hope that Adobe has a fix for this incapability, even if it's on the Mac platform.

I'd just like to see Adobe tap into that segment of the market, to get more young editor into PrPro.

You're probably correct, as usual,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
                          bartell43052 Level 1

This is a problem for me as well.  Ever since I first purchased the CS3, now CS4, suite for our academic institution, we have had significant trouble running several of the applications within a network domain.  I have the CS4 Master Collection installed on my PC and I have full administrative priviledge on this PC, and on the domain.  In order to get around this and several other errors I have to log out and log back in with the computer's local admin account.

It is not an option at our institution, and I suspect at any other college or university, to give the students full administrative access, or local administrator accounts, to the Windows PCs they are using.  I wouldn't do it on our campus Macintosh systems, and I won't do it on a PC.  PC systems that are part of a Windows domain have been around for a long time.  I know I submitted request for fixes in this area well over a year ago, including a list of CSx applications that had problems when logged into our university's domain.  Without a fix I won't be able to deploy Premiere Pro or several other Adobe products on the 95% of our network that is Windows-based.

• 10. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The "Rights" issues on a network, have been a big problem for many in academia. You are not alone.

Sorry that I do not have any "fixes," for you, but I would certainly contact Adobe Customer Support. I would start here first, rather than Technical Support. There might be some ponters that can work in your situation.

Good luck, and please report your success,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

It is not an option at our institution

I suspect that is more of a policy limitation than a technical hurdle.

I recommend simply changing the policy.  The norm for any editor is full administrative control.  Best the students worked that way.  It's how the school I went to does it.

• 12. Re: Head for the hills...!!!
                                fuaho Level 1

Sounds great! Give every student the unfettered ability to install whatever they can download on any computer on the network!!     

Not in a million years... There are really, really, really, good reasons why there are Administrator accounts and User accounts.

• 13. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
                                  SFL46 Level 3

I run PrPro CS4 on a personal desktop.

However, I work for a large Federal agency that has all PCs at HQ and the regional offices on a massive network.  You had better believe that the system administrators are NOT giving full administrator rights to people who work outside of the IT department.  Ya know, a little issue with every company employee being able to access anyone's account, including human resources, payroll, sensitive information.  Do you really want everyone that works at IRS, Social Security, etc having ready access to your personal information.

I suggest that Hunt has not spent much time working in large corporate (or academic) environments.

• 14. Re: Head for the hills...!!!
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Sounds great! Give every student the unfettered ability to install whatever they can download

They don't necessarilly need Internet access.  The editing stations at my old school don't have such.  They just need to be able to do what they need to do, and that often requires Admin rights.

• 15. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      I suggest that Hunt has not spent much time working in large corporate (or academic) environments.

You are absolutely correct. I own my own studio and have for 30 years. I do not have to deal with such, though I did spend some years as a civil engineer and working on a Wang "smart console" but that was probalby before you were born.

What I fail to understand is what the heck your thinking is by bringing me into this in a negative way. I have filed more requests to Adobe for the use of their programs on an academic network, than any professor has. I see this as a major problem. Either you are horribly confused, or have misread my posts to this subject. I strongly suggest that you reread my posts. I understand the issues. I try to champion these issues and will continue to do so. I think you have confused me with someone else.

There are several Adobe programs, that do not function well, completely, or at all, on a network without the Administrator privledges. That is something that affects corporate offices and academia greatly. I understand these issues and file Feature Requests to change things.

Now, I have to admit that I once had a client, who was the only graphics design artist in a major law school. Her IT department had no clue what she needed on her computer and spent a lot of time trying to conform her's into their idea of what a computer should be, regardless of how it impacted her work, or the performance of her design programs. She would sneak me into her office to setup her workstation. As IT would sneak in and undo things, crashing Quark, Photoshop and Illustrator, I had to finally lock her BIOS, so they could not mess things up. This took care of things for almost a year, until there was a major network upgrade. I unlocked the BIOS at night, allowed IT to do their work, changed the setup and locked the BIOS agian. The night before she left for an Art Director's job with a design studio, I unlocked her BIOS for the last time, and IT could get at her system again. That was my only real experience with a corporate/academic IT department.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Scratch Disks are write protected / encoder pulls from temp can't find file
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the way to handle it, your company should give you full Admin. privledges. Hey, they hold your paycheck, so they know they can trust you!

If you are referring to this comment, please see the little smilie below it. If one in the corporate, or the academic world, does not get the message, then I strongly suggest that a bit of training is required. Just do not charge the US public for that training. Please see my following comments and put things into context. If you still cannot "get it," then there is little hope, other than to point you to a URL for Dilbert on-line and pray.

Hunt