10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2009 7:20 AM by JayJhabrix

Best book for AI CS4

JayJhabrix Level 3

Hi...

Wade posted this in another thread: "But the best advice I can give you is to buy Mordy Goldings book Real World Illustrator CS 4 he also has one for  the suites, it is a worthwhile investment."

So, would this be the best to buy or the 'Bible' or any other book?

TIA...

JJ

PS: Started a new thread as i didn't want to hijack the old one...

• 1. Re: Best book for AI CS4
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Knowing nothing, still being with 10, just saying hi, Jay.

• 2. Re: Best book for AI CS4
            watsonlance Level 2

In my personal opinion it depends on your standing knowledge of the Program.

If your very familuar and curious of the new features for CS4, i surfed youtube for video tutorials on the new tools & learnt that way.

If your new to illustrator and having a hard time getting to know all the features, then a book / class would be benifical.

However on the flip side reading books on your programs, even if it's repetative helps take your general knowledge to the next level. There is always a better way, a new trick, or a hidden feature to learn.

• 3. Re: Best book for AI CS4
              Lutz Pietschker

To come back to the original question (not whether to get a book, but which book) I can only comment on the Bible. I am a bit disappointed in this one- it certainly is extensive, covers all of what the PDF manual does and some more, but I would have hoped for more of that "some". Much of the content is very basic stuff that is targeted at absolute beginners, though some tips and insights are useful- it is, by all means, not a bad book. Coming from Freehand my problem is just not how to use a vector drawing program, but to take a glimpse into the magician's trick box. Rather what I get here in the forum, just in written form so I can study while riding the tube :-)

So for me the next question is, Mordy's "Real World" book or Sharon Steuer's "Whow!" book?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Best book for AI CS4
                JayJhabrix Level 3

Hi Jacob

• 5. Re: Best book for AI CS4
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

In conjunction with this popular book you can use the on line tutorials at Adobe TV (free) or for purchase tutorials at Lynda.com.

Classroom in book is also good.

As far as the best one to buy…well that is a bit difficult to be nest that would be the helps you the most. And that depends on you!

• 6. Re: Best book for AI CS4
                    JayJhabrix Level 3

Lutz Pietschker wrote:

So for me the next question is, Mordy's "Real World" book or Sharon Steuer's "Whow!" book?

And the answer is...?

• 7. Re: Best book for AI CS4
                      Lutz Pietschker Level 1

> And the answer is...?

Holidays, then maybe ask someone who knows the books. They are hard to get in shops here in Berlin, so I cannot judge them directly. Maybe someone does a qualified review at Amazon. I'll take Ted Alspach's Bible and a lot of downloaded stuff with me, so I'll not be bored.

Lutz

• 8. Re: Best book for AI CS4
                        JayJhabrix Level 3

OK... will check that out... look for reviews i mean

Have a great holiday.... where are you going?

Cheers...

JJ

• 9. Re: Best book for AI CS4
                          acresofgreen Level 4

I have Real World Illustrator CS3 and the CS3 WOW! book and they are both good books but serve different purposes.  The WOW! book is good if you want inspiration - you see a lot of nifty effects and ideas that you may want to try out.  The Real World Illustrator is great as a reference book.  So if I see that something cool has been done with the offset path function, for example, I can look it up in Real World to get the basic know how about the function and some ideas on how else it can be used.  Both books are good for just browsing through them if you have some spare time to kill.

The Illustrator Classroom in a Book has got good reviews, but it isn't good as a reference and it sticks on a detail level, so it is easy to lose the big picture.  .

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Best book for AI CS4
                            JayJhabrix Level 3

Thanks... helpful comments...