6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 1:29 PM by the_wine_snob

No Audio When Exporting to AVI

jazzguy2

I spent yesterday cutting up an m4v file into smaller files that I then exported to AVIs.  I did about four of them and had no trouble.  Today I get back to the office and try and do it again, and when I export, there is no sound.  I have been exporting just using the defaults MS AVI defaults and have made sure that export audio is checked.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this novice?  Any and all help is most appreciated.

Regards,

Andy

• 1. Re: No Audio When Exporting to AVI
          the_wine_snob Level 9

In AME (Adobe Media Encoder), check that both Audio and Video are marked. Look at the Multiplexing to make sure.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: No Audio When Exporting to AVI
            jazzguy2 Level 1

Yes, both audio and video are marked, however, I don't see what you are referring to when you mention multiplexing.  I even tried updating the to Premiere 4.1.

Might this have anything to do with the fact that I am using a trial version?

Thanks,

Andy

• 3. Re: No Audio When Exporting to AVI
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Andy,

This has nothing to do with the trial version. Exporting DV material with AME and using the default MS DV AVI settings will export audio, unless you have disabled or muted your audio track in the timeline. However M4V material can not be edited with the trial version. MPEG in whatever form is not supported in the trial.

• 4. Re: No Audio When Exporting to AVI
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Pursuant to Harm's comment, check the Audio Mixer Panel, to make sure that you have not accidently set Mute. Look at the Audio Track header and make sure that it is not set to off. Also, Rt-click and make sure that Bypass is not checked.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: No Audio When Exporting to AVI
                  jazzguy2 Level 1

OK, I have done as you instructed but am a bit confused about the trouble I am experiencing and Harm's comment that I can't edit any mp4s with the trial version yet I was able to do this yesterday using the same source file.  I am a newbie at this so please bear with me.

I have included a screen shot of the audio panel.  If you see anything odd, please let me know.

Again, many thanks folks.

Andy

screen.jpg

• 6. Re: No Audio When Exporting to AVI
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Everything looks good on your screen-cap.

What Harm was referring to was that the trail does not support anything MPEG - nothing. The issue is that Adobe would have to pay a royalty to MainConcept for their MPEG CODEC's, and they do not want to do that for the free trials. Now, the full compliment of CODEC's are in the paid version.

HERE'S an article with details.

I find it odd that your trial version would support MPEG one day, though not odd that it would not support it the next. It should NEVER have supported it. Could it be that you were using different Assets, or were Exporting with different settings yesterday? Maybe Audio as PCM/WAV?

Good luck,

Hunt