14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 6:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles

plhennesseyjr

Hello

I am test driving Premier Elements 7 (30 Day Trial Mode).   When creating a title and using a fonts installed on my computer the font is displayed in the Elements title block as rectangles?    The font works in other programs like Word.  Is there a limitation to the fonts the Elements 7 can see?   The fonts in question are True Type.

Thank you in advance,

Paul

• 1. Re: Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could well be that that font is incompatible with Premiere Elements, for some reason.

Although most fonts installed in Windows -- especially True Type fonts -- generally do work.

• 2. Re: Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Which fonts and what type is it? [Edit] I saw that the fonts in question were TT - sorry that I missed that.

Some of the "alt" fonts will do this, but that is because there are only a few characters in those, and if you do not hit just the right keys, there is nothing to display.

Also, can you change the font and see the characters?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS that is NOT a limitation of the trial version.

PPS to the OP - welcome to the forum

[Edit] though they work in Word and other programs, Titler is very sensitive to fonts, unlike any similar program. However, it will usually crash, with any corrupt, or bad font, and this display issue is odd.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - added [Edits]

• 3. Re: Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles
              plhennesseyjr Level 1

Yes if I change the font the characters do appear...  The font is called Isabella ( Not sure what software it came from? )  See attached as an example.   There are a couple of other as well I found exhibit the same behavior.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

• 4. Re: Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I have an ISABELLE (note the E and not an A), that is TT and is 103K and dated 07/29/1998.

I'll check on my workstation as I have over 11,000 fonts on it (though not installed at the same time!) to see if I have an Isabella also.

What are the others, and I will test each that I have in Titler to see if any of my versions have issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles
                  plhennesseyjr Level 1

You are correct ISABELLE  with an " E "

• 6. Re: Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, looks like ISABELLE will only display the blocks for me too. I'm off to fire up the workstation and investigate this font more closely, as I have both Font Doctor and Suitcase on that machine. I'll also check out the glyphs in Illustrator to see if I can see an issue.

More later,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, I checked both systems and it seems that I have 3 different Isabelle TT fonts. The one that was installed on the laptop was listed with a file name in all caps, ISABELLE, and the date and size were shown in the above post.

On the workstation, I had an Isabelle that was 115K and dated 09/11/2002. There was also an Isabelle from about the same time frame as the first, but it was slightly larger.

In Illustrator, and Suitecase, they showed as being almost identical, as far as the glyphs go. I swapped out the ISABELLE font on the laptop (that showed the empty boxes), for the Isabelle from the workstation with the larger size and much later date. Guess what, it worked fine in PE4's Titler. My guess is that there is some problem with the older version of Isabelle (ISABELLE, like back from DOS days). The only history that I could get was that the "good" Isabelle was done on the date noted, in Macromedia Fontographer 3.8. There were no additional notes on it.

Isabelle Font.jpg

It appears that there are "bad" Isabelle's and "good" Isabelles. It should be noted that Font Doctor found no errors with the "bad" Isabelle.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If you would list the other fonts that are displaying improperly, I'll check each one out on my two systems and see if I can find their problems.

Here is a LINK to an article on the Isabella (note the A and not the E, as on my systems).

Here's another ARTICLE on Isabella.

Here's ONE on Isabelle, but it's different than mine.

Looks like there are several different Isabellas and several different Isabelles. Each has a different history.

Well, that's all I think I need to post on the Isabelle/Isabella fonts.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles
                          plhennesseyjr Level 1

Note they are all in capitals?  

BATAVIA

CASMIRA

ELEGANCE

ELLIS

EXCESS

GENUINE

HELTERSKELTER

HERMAN

JUSTICE

MANDELA

MATTEROFFACT

NEOLITH

OPENCLASSIC

PRETEXT

PUPPYLIKE

RADAGUND

SHELMAN

TRENDY

• 11. Re: Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I will take that list to both computers and see what I can find. It will not be until tomorrow PM, AZT, as I have an early AM meeting, and have already declared wine:30 for today. I doubt that my posts will make a lot of sense in the next hour...

I'll let you know what I find out.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, I could not put this off until tomorrow afternoon. With 14,656 fonts on the workstation (more than I recalled), I do not have one of these. I also ran them on the laptop, just to make sure that I did not have any of them from some program specific to the laptop.

Question: are any of these, by chance, Corel fonts? Do you have any Corel program, like Corel Draw, WordPerfect, Corel Presentations?

Going back some time, Corel fonts gave printers all sorts of problems. They were poorly formed and just flat did not work. I had to eliminate about 9,000 of them from my workstation of the day, just so I would never use any of them for a client. When one has a ton of fonts, it's tough to know where they came from.

There are also a lot of font-packs, that are fairly cheap. Their fonts are the same. Sometimes, they work, and sometimes they do not.

Last time I ran Font Doctor on the workstation, there were about a dozen bad fonts. About 9 were repaired, and the rest were deleted. In the cae of 2, I found the font on-line and bought both of them.

Adobe is still in the font-business, though not to the degree they once were. Their programs are very critical of bad, or poorly formed fonts. Tilter, in both PE and PrPro are extremely critical of fonts. I've had some fail in either, that worked in PS, or AI.

Sorry that I could not help you with these, but I just do not have a one, and Isabelle/Isabella might have been a fluke. How did your Isabella look compared to my Isabelle? Anywhere close?

Trust me, these fonts will likely not display in the full-paid version of PE, and I doubt that it would be any different in PrPro. If these are fonts that you wish to use a lot, I'd first get Font Doctor (Extensis), and repair them, or go out an buy the font from the design foundry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles
                                plhennesseyjr Level 1

I have very few applications installed Microsoft Office Suite (Access...Visio), Roxio Creator 2009,  iTunes, and  some system tools.  Of course the  HP stuff that came with the laptop and No Coral.

Yes the Isabelle was the same.

THANKS for all you help!

• 14. Re: Font is displayed in Premier Elements 7 title block as rectangles
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, Corel was just a thought, because they are infamous for having fonts that do not work well outside of the Corel products. I have some that work beautifully in Corel WordPerfect, but most other programs have issues with them. Luckily, all have "WordPerfect" in their names, so I know to pick a similar font for Adobe, or some other font foundry. I also have some "handmade" fonts, that do not play nice with many of my programs. I have learned many of these, and only use them in programs that are more lenient with regards to the structure of the font.

Not sure where these fonts came from, but you proabably want to mentally flag them as being unique to only some of your programs.

Good luck, and I hope that the trial of PE is going well. Just remember that the Tilter (same for "big-brother" PrPro) is very, very strict on which fonts it can work with. I normally choose Adobe OTF fonts for work in it. I also find that I work with about the same 20-30 fonts for almost all of my Titles and Menus. These are thicker fonts, and most are san-serif. Now, I will bring in a headline font for a main Title, or similar, but my normal text Titles are all about the same. If I need to jazz things up a bit, I'll add graphic design elements, but the type must be easily readable in Video.

Hunt