2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 2:46 PM by Jim_Simon

24p advanced strangeness

SinJinQLB

I finally realized the main problem with me using 24p advanced in Premiere cs4. It's really strange though. I capptured a tape worth of footage, but captured it as 3 different files, instead of one long one, so that editing would be a little easier. I captured the footage as three files - Untitled 01, Untitled 02, and Untitled 03. Anyways, when I edit Untitled 01 and 03, I manually remove the 24p pulldown and I get 24 progressive frames per second, and the footage looks beautiful. When I try removing the 24p pulldown from Untitled 02, I get 24 frames per second but if I go frame by frame, for every 3 frames, the fourth one is duplicated. In other words my frames go 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4... I understand (I think) that removing the 24p pulldown is supposed to remove that extra, duplicated frame. But for some reason it doesn't. What's really wierd is that if I remove the pulldown, I get the fourth frame twice. If I don't remove the pulldown, I get 3 progressive frames followed by an interlaced frame. So I get 1, 2, 3, 4(interlaced)... Does this make sense to anyone? When the fourth frame is interlaced, it doesn't look good. When the fourth frame is duplicated, the playback is choppy and uneven. Either way I lose. What I had to end up doing was going to the Field options and turning on the Always Deinterlaced option, which in turn decreases the resolution, which I would personally rather have.

Has anyone run into this problem?