15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 3:58 PM by the_wine_snob

JPG background for greenscreen video

C3Cole

I am trying to put a .jpg pic behind a dv video, as the background. I can find nothing in the help section about layers or importing a background. Any advice?

I am a complete noob, sorry, but thanks for the help anyone can provide.

Cole

• 1. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, I'd size your JPEG to just over the dimensions of your Project's Frame Size, along the lines of 1000x750 for a DV 720x480 Project. Bigger will not be better.

Next, Import/Get Media Files and Folders to Import that image into your Project. Place it on Video Track 1, and grab and drag the Tail of it to the Duration that you need.

Place your Green Screen Footage on Video Track 2 and if you have not already done the Keying in another program, add the Keying to it. You will see Video Track 1 around your Keyed image on Video Track 2.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            I can find nothing in the help section about layers or importing a background.

Since you used the terms Layers and Background, I assume that you use PS, or PSE, for image editing. Think of Video Track 1 as the bottom Layer in the Layers Palette. It's kind of like the Background Layer, but has differences from that particular Layer type in PS. Still, it IS a background Layer (notice lack of italics and capitalization). Video Track 2, is like the next Layer above that, and then Video Track 3 like the next above that.

You are not likely to see the terms Layers, or Background applied in NLE work, unless someone is Importing a .PSD file. Their equivilents are closest to Video Track 1 and then the rest. Just like with Layers in PS, Video Track 2 will block out Video Track 1, except where there is Transparency, due to an Alpha Channel, Keying, or sizing. Same for Video Track 3 blocking out both below, with the same exceptions.

Hope that this gives you a bit of background and brings NLE work parallel with PS/PSE work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You might find some help in my free Steve's Tips article for Muvipix.com on using Videomerge -- Premiere Elements "automatic" system for keying in a background.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=44

I've also written an article on using Chroma Key for Muvipix.com, available in our members area. And you can find more detailed instructions in my books.

• 4. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I was just headed over to Muvipix to get that URL, but you saved me the time.

Thanks,

Hunt

PS I endorse Steve's tutorials

• 6. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Uh-oh, I must have said something wrong. I'm getting the "cold shoulder."

As so often happens with me, the Post Reply button can be hit too soon. You should be able to edit (cut off seems to float drastically from a few seconds to up to four days), so you can reclaim that post.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Should you have any questions about re-sizing before Import, HERE is an article on doing it quickly in PS. Though written for my workflow in PS, it translates pretty well to PSE also.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
                      C3Cole Level 1

I replied to the email, thinking that it would auto post. Thank for trying to help an idiot.

Sorry, completely stupid here. Tracks? That is not something that I can find. I only see scenes, and can't find a way to make scene 2 overlap the timeline of scene 1. I did manage a crude videomerge method that seems to partly work.

I have managed to get this: http://www.FastandEasyID.com/FnEComm1a.avi

It seems to have a few jitters at the end and some fuzzies around the spokesfox.

Any other advice is appreciated. I really thank you for your ideas.

I don't really use any PS or other type artsy programs, but I am familiar with some of what they do.

Cole

• 9. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I replied to the email, thinking that it would auto post.

I cannot help there. I have never used the forum via e-mail, but it seems that many have issues. Even one of the MOD's on the PrPro forum had his e-mail post hang and repeat many times. He was going to lock the file, until the duplicate posts stopped coming.

Tracks? That is not something that I can find. I only see scenes, and can't find a way to make scene 2 overlap the timeline of scene 1.

You are in Sceneline Mode. Right next to its icon, is the Timeline icon. THAT is what you want. It will make a lot more sense then. Sceneline is a very rudimentary "storyboard" view, and most things are much easier to perform and to visualize in Timeline View.

I'll take a look at the footage and see what I can see.

In the meantime, tell us as much detail as you can, concerning your AVI (Asset) file. It is likely something there, that can be corrected.

Hunt

• 10. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The article explains it all -- with illustrations, Cole.

• 11. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            It seems to have a few jitters at the end and some fuzzies around the spokesfox.

That looks like the Key was not so good at the end. You might want to explore the Non-red Effect to cut down on the green fringing. I think that one of Steve's tutorials on Keying covers this. It should help clean things up a bit.

It did appear that there was some interlacing artifacts, especially with the young lady's arms. That can probably be improved upon with a bit of work on the motion Asset.

Also, please list your workflow. That would look something like this: Capture from miniDV tape camera in PE via FireWire. Moved this Captured footage to the Timeline, where the Keying was added. This was then Exported as a DV-AVI Type II file, and Imported into an new Project, where the Keyed footage was put atop a still image. Now, that is just an example, but your workflow might point someone in a direction to help you make it better.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                            • 12. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
                              C3Cole Level 1

Thank you all very much. I think we are making progress.

I picked up a lot from the article on videomerge, especially about the fuzzy edges. I'll give those ideas a try tomorrow.

[please list your workflow.]

miniDV camera into PE via Firewire. 17 different AVI files. Choose which file seems to be the best for the task (#16). Open the 4127x3xxx jpg and resize to 800x5xx via IrfanView, import into PE. Drop the jpg into the first frame (scene mode). Change the time  to ~1 minute duration for the jpg. Shift-drag-drop the video onto the jpg, tell it to go on top, and video merge. Adjust the time start-stops to fit the way it should. Export.

I really don't understand why it has the crazzies at the end. And it seems that everyone has some means to modify the basic file before making it part of the project, but it seems to me that I can't do anything to any .avi until I make it part of the project and then those changes aren't permanent.

How do you make the non-Red, motion, etc. and make it stick when you go to use that clip elsewhere? Ah-ha! you already answered this [This was then Exported as a DV-AVI Type II file, and Imported into an new Project, where the Keyed footage was put atop a still image.]

Thank you all,

Cole

• 13. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Go back to your Keying and check things there. I'll bet that you'll see the problem near the end. I do not believe that it was introduced in the composited Project, but in the initial Project.

Now, two things:

1.) do explore and work in Timeline Mode. It will seem alien at first, but very soon you'll learn to love it, and will never go to the "dark side" again.

2.) most of what you are doing can be done in the same Project, in Timeline Mode with two Video Tracks. This is far more simple, than doing the editing in one Project and then doing the Export and having to go back and edit, then re-Export again. Do remember the splitting of Projects though, as it's a good way to handle Projects that are too large for one's computer to handle.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS, you had me fooled, as I really thought that you were a Photoshop-head!

• 14. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
                                  C3Cole Level 1

I do thank you all for the help.

The Timeline method is much better and I have played with all of the recommended settings. I don't think that the jaggies are much changed, but I can apply the effects and change the settings pretty quickly now. I even managed to do a pic in pic version so that she is moved over and the viewer can see the website name better.

I will also do some more reading of the MuviPix info. That is a great wealth of info. Thank you, Steve for taking the time to provide the site and info.

Thank you all.

Cole

PS: YOU people are the reason the internet can be a great place!

• 15. Re: JPG background for greenscreen video
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that it's going well, and thanks for reporting.

I, too, am a big fan of the Adobe fora and also Muvipix. Obviously, here the vast majority of the posts directly apply to Adobe software, while at Muvipix, while a big part, there are whole sections for other software discussions. At both of these, the subscribers are very friendly and attemp to help as much as they can. It is not that way on other fora, unfortunately. That's probably why I spend more time on Adobe and at Muvipix.

Happy editing,

Hunt