21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2009 12:14 PM by Manstandvd

Stop Markers

SKTGH87 Level 1

I've read previous postings about using stop markers, and am unclear if not allowing "1/2 second" minimum between the stop markers and menu markers is my issue:

I have a BluRay movie with seven menu markers. I want to select any of the seven movies off the main menu, and at its conclusion, be automatically returned to the main menu.

I have menu markers at the first frame of each of the seven movies. I have stop markers at the last frame of each movie. So, for example, at the beginning of movie 3 is a menu marker. On the last frame of that movie is a stop marker. On the next frame, the first frame of movie 4, is a menu marker.

However, the burned disc plays right through each movie onto the next, ignoring the stop markers. I'm not automatically returned to the menu. And at the end of the disc, playback stops altogether, again ignoring the stop marker on the end of that movie.

Selection of each movie from the menu works fine. Manually returning to the menu works fine. The only issue seems to be failure to recognize and respond to the stop markers.

Is the problem that I need to sacrifice some frames in order to put distance between the stop marker at the end of one movie and the menu marker at the beginning of the next, and if so, is this documented somewhere?

• 1. Re: Stop Markers
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you post a screen capture of your timeline so we can see your markers in place?

• 2. Re: Stop Markers
            SKTGH87 Level 1

Hope this helps. It plays correctly in preview.

• 3. Re: Stop Markers

It looks as though your stop marker and scene marker are on the very same frame!

What happens if you move them apart by a frame or two?

• 4. Re: Stop Markers
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Really quick question here: in PrPro, one must name the Chapter Markers, to have them Export to Encore. Does PE require a physical name (can be just random characters, but there MUST be something in the Name panel) to function properly.

@Steve,

Glad that you picked up on the placement, as I kept looking for the Stop Marker. You're probably correct that they are atop each other.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Stop Markers
                  SKTGH87 Level 1

They actually are separated - you can see both of them in the image. The stop marker is on the last frame of the first movie in the image, and the menu marker is adjacent to it, set at the first frame of the next movie in the image.

• 6. Re: Stop Markers

At the zoom level in the screen cap, those tick marks are individual frames -- and they're both on the same one.

Try separating them by a frame or two (or even half a second -- 15 frames) and see if that makes  a difference.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Stop Markers
                      SKTGH87 Level 1

It's good to know the tick marks represent individual frames, and why everyone states my stop and menu markers are on the same frames.

However, when I cycle through all the markers - by hitting "next" on the window shown, the frame the marker is positioned on appears in the monitor (shown in the background). So at this shown stop marker, you see the last frame of the movie in the background. When I hit "next," it takes me to the next marker, which is the menu marker of the next movie. And the frame shown in the monitor, in the background, is the first frame of the next movie.

So what I'm having a hard time getting is why am I seeing different frames in the monitor when hitting "next," but the tick marks seem to show the markers on the same frame?

• 8. Re: Stop Markers

Is there no chance we could even convince you to experiment a little to see if it makes a difference?

You don't even need to burn a DVD. You can see if it works with the Disc Menu Preview.

• 9. Re: Stop Markers
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, just for a test, type in a name for each of the DVD Chapter Markers. This trips up many in PrPro, but PE might function fine with out them. PrPro will not, and they do not show in Encore, the authoring app.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Stop Markers
                            SKTGH87 Level 1

I'm sorry, I thought I'd stated above that it was working correctly in preview as you see it in the image - although the burned disc just plowed right through the stop markers.

• 11. Re: Stop Markers
                              SKTGH87 Level 1

Wine, do you mean to enter names for the stop markers?

• 12. Re: Stop Markers
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

No, I was referring to the DVD Chapter Marker. The screen-cap appeared to show a Chapter Marker with no text in the name. Stop Markers should not need any characters.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Stop Markers
                                  Manstandvd Level 1

I have PE 4.

I am having the same problem. Have you sorted it? If so how? I find also that Bluray discs ignore the stop buttons but that burn the same project as a DVD and it is fine.

Adobe have been B----- Useless and unhelpful.

I am convinced it is a software iossue beyond my control and that they are not prepared to admit it! Any solutions?

• 14. Re: Stop Markers

The challenge is that so many of these problems are system-related, not software-related. And, in this case, possibly related to an incompatibility issue with your disc player.

Stop Markers have never failed to work for me in 6 generations of this program.

• 15. Re: Stop Markers
                                      Manstandvd Level 1

Thanks for that.

Even on Bluray discs?

I have played it on 2 different makes and no difference

Stan Williamson

Scapa

21 Bayne Drive

DINGWALL

IV15 9UB

Tel:      01349861749 (Answering service)

Mob:    07803768090 (Answering service)

Email:  swilliamson@toucansurf.com

• 16. Re: Stop Markers

No need to post more than one place with the same issue, Stan. It only makes it hard to keep track of where we've replied and what you've answered.

• 17. Re: Stop Markers
                                          SKTGH87 Level 1

No, I wasn't able to solve it. I have v. 8 but haven't installed it yet . . . am hoping for better results.

The problem is that to get something better, you're talking real bucks and I'm just not prepared to go that far.

• 18. Re: Stop Markers
                                            Manstandvd Level 1

Another suggestion was to update the firmware on my BD player. Have done! No improvement!            

• 19. Re: Stop Markers
                                              Manstandvd Level 1

I have now tried PE 8 trial. Same result.Does not recognise stop markers.

I have also tried Pinnacle 14 Ultimate trial. Stop markers DO work. I like many features of Pinnacle but in the past have found it less stable to use.

To me it seems that it is a software issue rather than a hardware one but I probably do not have enough technical know how to be sure. Cannot believe it is my PC or Bluray player if it works with Pinnacle 14.

Could someone combine the best of PE and Pinnacle?????

• 20. Re: Stop Markers
                                                SKTGH87 Level 1

I'm on a brand new computer, with a fresh installation of PE 8 - and same thing - still doesn't recognize the stop markers. On playback, it just breezes right past them.

I can correctly select the right vids from the menu, but at the end, they just keep going on to the next.

• 21. Re: Stop Markers
                                                  Manstandvd Level 1

Thanks for that. At least I am not the only person in the world with the problem.

Adobe seem to be in denial and make no effort to offer a solution...............nor admit there is a problem!