6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2010 12:58 PM by Bottazzoli-dNpTm1

Preview pane quality is horrible

rhorvitz@ss

I am using Premiere Elements 7 on a Windows Vista 32bit system.  I have been using Premiere Elements 3 on an XP machine but needed more power.

The quality of the video preview pane is terrible in PE7.  When I used PE3, the quality was on par with the original content loaded, but now the images and videos are pixelated terribly. As soon as I pause, the quality is back to normal, but once the video preview plays, the goes back to blocky and pixilated.

Is there a place to control this quality?

Thanks in advance!

Ross

• 1. Re: Preview pane quality is horrible
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

A lot depends on a lot.

And an awful lot depends on the source of your video, if there is a red line above your clips on the timeline and if you have pressed Enter to render it so that that line turns green.

You'll also see improvement if you have the latest drivers for your video card and the latest version of Quicktime.

• 2. Re: Preview pane quality is horrible
            rhorvitz@ss Level 1

Thanks again, Steve.  You have been a big help to me this past year!  I never knew about rendering with Enter in 7.0.

Thank you again.

• 3. Re: Preview pane quality is horrible
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Another tip on using the Program Monitor to preview your footage - Rt-click and choose 100%, instead of Fit. You may need to resize it a bit, but the quality will be as good as it gets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Preview pane quality is horrible
                P_Forrest Level 1

>>Another tip on using the Program Monitor to preview your footage - Rt-click and choose 100%, instead of Fit.

Great tip Hunt!!

Thanks!

Peter

• 5. Re: Preview pane quality is horrible
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

What are you doing here? I thought I left you sipping an Orange Peel Ale in that other thread! Had we not declared beer and wine:30?

I often use 100% for critical "previewing." Notice the word previewing. I also hike it up to 400% in PrPro (do not recall if PE will go that high) for very critical viewing of Track Matte Keying, or similar. I learned to magnify so that all of my pixels were about 1/4" x 1/4" in Photoshop, decades ago. If I could not see a problem, then my clents would never find one, when they had the ad printed.

Now, I do wish that both PE and PrPro had a magnifier in Titler. I can expand Titler up large in PrPro on the workstation, but it's still not the same. Maybe that is why I do so much Titling work in PS, because I can magnify it to the max to correct the smallest of problems. Maybe with CS5?

Take care, and glad that I could help,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Preview pane quality is horrible
                    Bottazzoli-dNpTm1

Good Day,

I just strageling sinze weeks with unexcpected freez and crashes. And the reason: preview in Highest Quality. Plus your excellent informations to reduce to 100% (I am on 75%) seams make working my system know.

But what kind of HW must I buy again? A Nvidia GForce 260 is not powerfull enough? An i7 and 12GB RAM are not doing the job?

Now I have ordered the Sony AX2000 Full HDV, and perhaps I must connect five PC's together in order to preview my videos? I have some friends in the CERN in Geneva, perhaps they have an older Supercomp for me. And dont forgoth we are in Namibia, some 40degs are normal, the aircon is working.

Dont worry, be happy

See you next and thanks for the tips, JPB