5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 1:33 PM by gabbi

can brushes be xploded?

gabbi Level 1

i have a multi lined brush that doesn't handle the transitions in kinky curves very well and I was tihnking I would explode or break the brush and then do the trimming/extending I need to do once the lines are roughly where I need them to be...is this possible?

• 1. Re: can brushes be xploded?
          Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can do Object > Expand Appearance

• 2. Re: can brushes be xploded?
            Jesseham Level 4

If you mean after you've drawn with it, yeap - object ->expand appearance.

If you mean before you've drawn with it, yeap - drag it from the brushes panel to your artboard.

If you're having issues with corners, you might look at a pattern brush instead of whatever other kind you're making.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: can brushes be xploded?
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may also have too many small segments/anchor points defining the curve. Use as few as possible and adjust your handles as needed.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: can brushes be xploded?
                JETalmage Level 6

Much depends on the particular Brush, and the artwork it contains, but you might also try:

1. Select the path to which you have applied the Brush, and cut it at the problematic corners.

2. Then expand the Brush.

You may find the result of that easier to clean up by hand at the corners than the expanded ugly "miters" that the Brush tries to make when the path is whole.

Also try applying the Round Corners Filter or Effect to the path. Often just a tightly rounded curve around the corners is "sharp enough", yet allows the Brush to bend around the curve better. Again, effectiveness depends on the specific situation.

JET

• 5. Re: can brushes be xploded?
                  gabbi Level 1

thanks everyone. lots of good tips.

since I just wanted to be able to quickly trim the various parts of the brush against another curve - only one of the curves meets the curve to be used to trim against while the others, since they are offset, extend beyond it - it was easiest and most practical to just expand appearance and do the trimming