32 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 2:01 PM by pcford

What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?

pcford Level 1

I went to a presentation about Adobe Fremont in about March. We were told that in April Premiere would be updated to enable export to Final Cut. I have seen nothing. I tried to call support, after talking to two guys evidently in India, I was put ON HOLD FOR ONE HOUR before I gave up.

I have a project to cut...I would like to a rough cut and pass it to my editor, who is on a Final Cut machine. Exporting an EDL does not work very well; all you can do is move an EDL with a single layer and no transitions.Obviously, being able to export to Final Cut would be a major plus for me. Adobe promised that they were going to do this...can anyone tell me what the heck is up?! Thanks!

• 1. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Adobe promised that they were going to do this...

That ranks right up there with, "I promise this won't hurt a bit..." It's never a good idea to bank on concepts proposed in marketing literature.

But, to the problem at hand: the only possible way that I can see of achieiving this now would be to export your project as an AAF file, and then using Automatic Duck Pro Import FCP on the FCP box to import the AAF file. Now, that's not exactly a cheap solution, and I've honestly never tried it so I can't confirm that it'll work, but it may. I'd suggest contacting Automatic Duck and seeing what they have to say. I'm not sure if there's a demo or not. Beyond that, you'll probably just have to wait for the FCP XML Export option to appear in either a point release or (hopefully not) CS5.

And while I know it's really easy and enjoyable to hurl bricks at Adobe for stuff that doesn't work or isn't included--I admit to doing it myself--I think it's prudent to consider that so far, they've been the only NLE publisher to even attempt something like this, and offer capability like this right out of the box. There already is AAF import and export (I've used both successfully with Avid systems), and most recently is FCP XML import--we're obviously still waiting on FCP XML export. I can't think of another NLE that's being this open to working with other NLEs. I would expect this to be a seldom-used and never-relied-on capability, but I still feel it's pretty enterprising for Adobe to be providing it. It's pretty anti-capitalist, when you think about it.

</diatribe>

• 2. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I question whether or not such a feature is actually planned.  Why on earth would Adobe want to make it easy to go from their product to a competitors?  Preferably, they'd want your editor to buy the Adobe suite.  (Which is why I can understand FCP import.  But export?)

• 3. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
              pcford Level 1

The other day I was talking to a guy...experienced DP. I said that was editing with Premiere Pro...he made a bit of a face and said...as if informing someone who was not quite with it...that I could get a copy of Final Cut Express for not a lot of money. Never mind that if Final Cut Express is much like Premiere Pro Express it is pretty much a toy.

My motion graphics guy uses Premiere Pro...unfortunately my editor uses Final Cut...I have sat him him many, many hours...enough to understand that Final Cut is a terrific tool, as is Premiere Pro...I feel that the builders of Premiere Pro should not fear Final Cut...Premiere Pro is a great program. With Apple seemingly devoting energy into gadgets instead of their professional level tools, Adobe has the opportunity to attract more attention among professional video people. The BBC and the Tonight Show...among others are using our tool.

Being able to move both ways between Premiere Pro and Final Cut indicates they are peers...no need to be afraid of competition.

Anyway....enough of this theorizing!!!....does anyone have any facts about export to Final Cut?

• 4. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                shooternz Level 6

Sorry that I can not add any "facts" to the issue you are having but I really am curious why you dont just let your editor do the task from the start?

I cant imagine a worse editing workflow nightmare than having two editors on the same project ...let alone adding in the fact its across two NLEs and maybe even cross platforms. (You never said if you are on a MAC or a Windows system but obviously your editor is on a MAC)

What are you...a director, producer, cameraman, editor...?  Dont you trust your editor?

I understand and regularly collaborate with others (including cross platform) on my projects but never do the roles overlap.  (A recipe for tears and anguish if you ask me for my two cents worth ....which of course you didnt)

• 5. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                  pcford Level 1

Thank you for your advice.

I like to do a rough cut and turn it over to my editor...he has been editing since the 80s and naturally enough sees things which I do not. On the other hand, I am all for saving time and money...which I think I do when I do an rough cut.

I am evidently not the only person contemplating importing and exporting from a given editing system since it seems hardly a unique desire.

Still waiting for someone with facts relating to what Adobe's representatives said that they were going to do in the spring regarding export to Final Cut.

• 6. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                    pcford Level 1

Thanks to Colin for your answer.

It appear that Automatic Duck will work between Media Composer and Final Cut...no mention of Premiere Pro in the link which you kindly provided.

In terms of being satisfied with what Adobe is providing...I am only following up on what Adobe said they were going to do.

• 7. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Unfortunately, no one here has any idea what Adobe is going to do or not going to do with any particular release of the software. If someone says they know, they don't... and if someone knows, they can't say. We can all hazard guesses as to why this particular feature was not included--and I saw it mentioned in pre-release literature, too--but we'll never know. The only thing we can be 100% positive about is that it's not in the software now, so your only option is to find another solution.

That said, are you sure an EDL won't work for your purposes? You mention doing a "rough cut," which, depending on your definition of "rough cut" may work just fine with an EDL. If you're to the point of adding transitions, effects, graphics and so on, most of that source material is not going to transfer along with an EDL, and in my mind you're already in an onlining phase. At that stage, you're better off completing the project on the original system, either by yourself, or by bringing your editor in to finish the job. But if your "rough cut" is really just for timing purposes, with some basic SMPTE transitions for example, an EDL should do the trick.

A big factor is your source material. Is it a tape-based format, or some sort of solid state recording technology?

• 8. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                        pcford Level 1

Source is dv.

My preferred solution is the one which Adobe said that they were going to provide.

• 9. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

My preferred solution is the one which Adobe said that they were going to provide.

Then I guess you'll have to take your grievances to Adobe. They don't come around here, no more. We're all just paddlers in this crazy life raft, just like you.

In the meantime, I'd like a Ferrari, and a legion of video-hacking minions to do my bidding. While we're dreaming, anyway...

• 10. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                            pcford Level 1

Yes, I would like a Ferrari and a Porsche while you are at it. However, the difference is that nobody has said they were going to give me a Ferrari.

On the other hand, Adobe said they were going to implement export to Final Cut in an update to Premiere Pro CS4...I heard employees of Adobe say that in February of this year. The arrival date was given as April 2009.This is not a feature which I wished Premiere Pro would have; it is what they said they were going to do.

I guess I don't know about software...but in the "normal" business world, if you say you are going to do something, it is expected that you are going to do what you say you are going to do...or you have a clear explanation why not.

In this case, we are getting neither. And I don't like it.

• 11. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                              pcford Level 1

I got what I think is a good answer on the Cow: The respondent said that he had read on an Adobe dev site that Apple was not cooperating with Adobe regarding the export to Final Cut...and thus the nonappearance of the promised feature. If anyone has more info, let me know!!!

• 12. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Apple was not cooperating with Adobe regarding the export to Final Cut

See, again that just sounds wrong.  I'm sure Apple would LOVE to make it easy for a Premiere user to continue working in FCP.  Apple should be more than happy to cooperate and make that possible.  What Apple doesn't want is people switching from FCP to Premiere, yet that is the one feature we already have.

• 13. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                  David Cabestany Level 1

The truth is Adobe's help pages even mention a procedure to export your PPro prject to be opened in FCP, but when I tried to follow it the options are not there.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WSF6B71209-8599-4f99-BE77-0F44B85B1066.html

They mention a menu item that it's just not there, so they are lying to us. As pcford says, I don't like it. I'm more familiar with Premiere and I avoid migrating projects every time I can, but there are some occasions when you just have to move for a reason, this is one of them and if Adobe claims to have a solution we the users expect it to work.

This is really a bad note for Adobe and they must fix it asap.

D.

• 14. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, there is NO Adobe presence here. We are all but users, with no ties to Adobe, whatsoever. [There have been rumors that Jeff Bellune does get to eat in the Official Adobe Cafeteria, but has to sit at the table by the trash can... ]

To get Adobe's attention, you need to fill in a Bug Report/Feature Request Form. I know that they read their mail. Whether they will act on it, or when, remains to be seen, but comments here only fall onto the ears of other PrPro users - not Adobe. Sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                      RDA972 Level 3

In my opinion, the fact that export to FCP is in the help files is an indication that Adobe are working on it and that it should be available soon along with some other goodies like native AVC-Intra support for instance.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Go ahead, Adobe, make my day!

• 16. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Robert,

You could well be correct. I think that Adobe got a bit side-tracked, when their earlier updates to CS4 did not go well, and more seemed broken, than fixed, until CS4.1. I doubt that they saw that one coming. Again a wild-arsed guess, but I'd say that they diverted many resources to actually fixing things with that release. General, proposed schedules probably got shot down and good intentions went by the wayside, to get a working version out the door to the clamoring throngs. Maybe effort is being expended on this now. Unfortunately, anyone, who knows, cannot tell. Anyone, who tells, does not know. Only time will tell. I would assume that there will likely be no more updates for CS4.1, so it might not be until CS5 that this will come about. Remember, these are but guesses, 'cause if I knew, I could not tell you...

Hunt

• 17. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                          RDA972 Level 3

You've got a point, Hunt, I just wish Adobe were a bit less tight-lipped. Looking back, I must admit they've made some progress in that area, though. All things considered, I, for one, would love to see the afore-mentioned goodies long before CS hits the market.

• 18. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

What so often happens, when something is leaked, or even intimated, is that everyone piles on with their "sacred cows." When Adobe was working on CS4.1 there was an Adobe presence here. It was a riot. As development takes time, I would not want to be cornered with some time frame for release of anything. I could make some "healthcare" analogies, but will refrain. Those would not be tolerated even in the Lounge, and for good reason. I'd rather that Adobe did everything right, rather than rush some "fix," that broke other things.

For me, a stable application is far more important, than new "features." Now, that is just me, and others will have opposing views.

Hunt

• 19. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                              pcford Level 1

I am the original poster. Thanks to those that have come up with evidence that Adobe was clearly was planning to incorporate export to Final Cut in CS4. There was not an "intimation" of the forthcoming feature addition; representatives of Adobe clearly stated that it would be forthcoming in April of this year. The discovery of help files relating to this coroborates this.

I am very disappointed that Adobe did not do what they said they were going to do; I will communicate this to Adobe.

One can presume that Adobe is not going to update CS4 further. (?) If true...can anyone recall when CS4 came out and what the normal time between versions has been?

Thanks!!

• 20. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

CS4 came out just after IBC 2008 and before that the sequence of new versions varied between 1.5 and 2 years, so one should expect CS5 somewhere around Q3/Q4 2010, possibly with IBC 2010. Just a guess from my side, nothing to substantiate that.

• 21. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                  There was not an "intimation" of the forthcoming feature addition; representatives of Adobe clearly stated that it would be forthcoming in April of this year. The discovery of help files relating to this coroborates this.

There were probably people in marketing and sales that wanted this to happen and at one time, possilby a date was thrown out. It even seems that the technical writers were actively involved too. However, as often happens, things can change between what marketing and sales want, and what the coders can produce. Maybe they hit an evolutionary dead-end, short of the goal, or found that their proposed path broke something so badly that they had to start over. Until History's Mysteries does a special on Adobe, none of us users is likely to know.

In the US, there is a popular comic strip, Dilbert. The main character is an engineer for a computer company (seems that both hardware and software are often involved), and he's always facing this problem with humorous, but all too true consequences.

At least your research indicates that someone, pretty high up the Adobe foodchain wanted this and that work was done on it. Why it has not come to fruition is beyond my "need to know" level. When it will be implemented and included is the same.

Harm's estimates ring true with my memory. Will that pattern and pace continue - ? Will there be another update for CS4 - ?

Wish that I had some answers, but all I can do is speculate.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                                    fuaho Level 1

So now we have the 4.2 update, still no XML export and the link to the help page supposedly explaining how to get a Premiere Pro project into Final Cut

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WSF6B71209-8599-4f99-BE77-0F44B85B10 66.html

has apparently been removed...!!!

• 23. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                                      pcford Level 1

Thanks for the update regarding the disappearance of the export to Final Cut help files.

Can't say that their action is encouraging. I am about to start a major project (Olympics related) which will be under a lot of time pressure. It would be SO nice to be able to export to Final Cut, as Adobe said they were going to do. I have been thinking of going Mac/Final Cut or buying my editor a pc with Premiere.

Pain in the butt.

• 24. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                                        pcford Level 1

I have it on very good authority that export to Final Cut functionality is still in development. They have made progress. Changes to the last version of Final Cut threw a monkey wrench into the works.

• 25. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                                          dradeke Adobe Employee

pcford wrote:

The other day I was talking to a guy...experienced DP. I said that was editing with Premiere Pro...he made a bit of a face and said...as if informing someone who was not quite with it...that I could get a copy of Final Cut Express for not a lot of money. Never mind that if Final Cut Express is much like Premiere Pro Express it is pretty much a toy.

It's my turn to make the face...

I feel that the builders of Premiere Pro should not fear Final Cut...Premiere Pro is a great program. With Apple seemingly devoting energy into gadgets instead of their professional level tools, Adobe has the opportunity to attract more attention among professional video people. The BBC and the Tonight Show...among others are using our tool.

Being able to move both ways between Premiere Pro and Final Cut indicates they are peers...no need to be afraid of competition.

Thanks for the kind words - we agree.  We've got many other wins in progress such as Hearst TV, Turner and others.  Clearly Apple is focused on the iPhone (and they should be because it makes a lot of money!) and even hard core FCP'ers in a moment of honesty wonder about the long term future of FCP.  I hope that none of our customers have that fear because they shouldn't.

Anyway....enough of this theorizing!!!....does anyone have any facts about export to Final Cut?

Here are the facts - Adobe has FCP export as a kind of beta and I have it loaded on my laptop.  It is always our intention to 'play nice' with others which is why we already have FCP import and AAF import/export.

FCP export though is of less overall usefulness simply because FCP doesn't like anything other than QT.  So, if you're shooting P2 MXF and you want to hand it over to a FCP editor, FCP is going to wig out.

Still, it is our intention to provide Premiere Pro to FCP integration in the future.

• 26. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                            FCP doesn't like anything other than QT.  So, if you're shooting P2 MXF and you want to hand it over to a FCP editor, FCP is going to wig out.

And THAT is why Adobe needs to position Premiere Pro for the major professional industries - big budget post houses, broadcast and Hollywood.  Then it'll be OUR turn to make faces at FCP users.

• 27. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                                              pmasters8941 Level 1

I just would like to be able to export my Premiere projects out to FCP just so I can use Color which unfortunately, Adobe falls short on in this area and rightfully should considering the technology and price tag that Color once was.  Color, ProRes, and Motion are all I really use from FCS for anymore and the occasional mixing in Soundtrack. Nice to hear its still coming but would be even better if I could get in on the beta for it.

• 28. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                                                pcford Level 1

Updates to my situation vis-a-vis problem of my editor working on Final Cut, thus needing the export function to Final Cut:

My editor has been laid off from his job at post house. He is now contemplating getting set up with a workstation at home.

I scored a copy of CS4 Production for $325 on Ebay...legit software. So... I have copy of AE 7 and Premiere Pro CS3. I may give that software to my editor...problem solved.

However, I hope that development does proceed on the export to Final Cut functionality. And thanks to the Adobe person for sharing his knowledge on the situation!!!

If I may give some advice to the Adobe marketing department. As someone else suggested in this thread, Adobe has to position Premiere Pro as a professional level tool. As it is, in the market it is presumed that Final Cut is the way to for professional level cost-effective editing solutions. As I mentioned in another post, I sometimes get the impression that others feel that serious editors should be using Final Cut.

The Premiere Pro versus Final Cut contention is maybe a "son of" the feeling 20 years ago that PCs were for corporations and Macs were for artists.

Anyway...I like Premiere Pro and wish the propellerheads at Adobe all the best!!!

• 29. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                                                  David Cabestany Level 1

if you paid only 325 for cs4 there's a 99% chance that your copy is not legit, remember you do not pay for the actual discs but for the license to use its content, the guy who sold it to you probably still has it installed in his computer.

• 30. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                                                    pcford Level 1

Nope. I'm pretty fastidous about this stuff. If I am getting paid for using the software it is only fair that the guys who made the software get a cut.  It was legit software and it has been activated; I am using it. Adobe customer service says that there is noproblem. It was from an internet start-up in Texas that went kerblooey. I have the license transfer (signed off) on my desk but it seems that it was never registered.

For once I guess I got lucky.

But you are correct. A lot of, perhaps the majority of higher end software on Ebay is skull and crossbones stuff.

• 31. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                                                      dradeke Adobe Employee
                                                                      If I may give some advice to the Adobe marketing department. As someone else suggested in this thread, Adobe has to position Premiere Pro as a professional level tool. As it is, in the market it is presumed that Final Cut is the way to for professional level cost-effective editing solutions. As I mentioned in another post, I sometimes get the impression that others feel that serious editors should be using Final Cut.

I need everyone to know that Adobe FULLY understands this and that we're FULLY committed to changing the perception further than it already has.  I've posted about Turner and Hearst wins and how they're adopting Premiere Pro.  Others are in play and I think the only thing holding Premiere Pro back is one of perception.  Clearly it is a professional editor in terms of form and function.  Sure, there are things it still needs to add, but that's true of every NLE.

Point being - Adobe gets it and I am personally committed (and tasked) with getting more high-profile wins in the market place.  We've got the product, we've got the team to make it even more exciting and we're going to the major media companies and users and telling them that we're doing it.

I'll close with this statement.  I was recently talking to another exclusive broadcast vendor (they're in SOO many installations) and was basically saying the same thing.  He said, "It's working...Adobe is getting into much more broadcast installations and customers are asking for it."

I think this is a criticial time for Adobe and I would call on many here in the forums to stand up and proclaim the Premiere Pro 'goodness' that you feel.  Adobe can only change perception so much - after all "It's Adobe saying it."  What will change the perception of Premiere Pro once and for all is YOU.  If you say it, it comes with intelligence and objectivity - something that I can't really do.

Pressing ever onward and higher,

Dennis

• 32. Re: What About Premiere Pro Export to Final Cut?
                                                                        pcford Level 1

Dennis, I want to thank you for your participation here; we wish the development team all the best.

Best of luck spreading the word for Premiere...I will try to do my part.