12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 3:29 PM by the_wine_snob

Noob Question 16: Move/Archive Projects?

Suntower Level 1

Per Harm's tough love advice, I just got 2 more hard drives and a dual-head video card.

OK... So to use his advice, I need to reorganise some files. So...

1. Is there a way to move all the source clips to a new folder and have the project 'auto scan' or tell it where the new files are so it finds them all in one go rather than having to 'Link' them all one at a time?

2. When one archives a project, exactly what does one need to save in order to have -all- the components of the project in case of catastrophe.

a. Project

b. Source clips

c.. ...anything else? If so, what? Where?

3. And while I'm at it. In addition to the Adobe CS4 folder, are there other files/folders that one would need to archive in order to re-build one's system in case of catastrophe. (Stuff like in Docs/Settings, for example?)

I want to come up with an auto-magical archive system like I have for my DAW stuff.

TIA,

---JC

• 1. Re: Noob Question 16: Move/Archive Projects?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Let's say you currently have all your source files in D:/Original Clips and you want to relocate them to E:/Media/Sources

1. Use Explorer to Cut and Paste these files to the new location. Open your PR project and when asked 'Where is file..." go to the new loaction and select the file. PR will then automatically find all the other files. If you have multiple subdirectories, you may have to repeat that for each subdirectory. Then save the project and everytime you open your project all files will again be found automatically.

2. Let project manager do that for you.

3. It may be worthwhile to add C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Adobe/Premiere Pro/ to places to keep. Your custom workspaces are saved in the 4.0 subdirectory.

• 2. Re: Noob Question 16: Move/Archive Projects?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm has covered this pretty well. The one little caveat that I will throw out is "what is a .PROJ file?" To utilize a .PROJ file, you will need the media that it links to. The .PROJ file is NOT a playable file. It is an XML database, made up of links to the media files and what you have done to them. While important, the .PROJ files can only be used in PrPro and then, effectively, with the media files, and ideally in their previous location. The Project Manager will help you greatly, as Harm states.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Noob Question 16: Move/Archive Projects?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Suntower,

I was researching some older posts, and noticed that I did not get points on the "Spinning Newspaper" question, about "Noob Question 6," or so. Harm is beating the stuffings out of me. He's racking up them points left and right. I'm lagging so far behind and cannot catch up to him, no matter how hard I try.

If the "Spinning Newspaper" answer worked for you (actually a tutorial on how to do it), please don't give Harm any points for that one - I need 'em!

Hope the music video goes well,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Noob Question 16: Move/Archive Projects?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

2. When one archives a project, exactly what does one need to save in order to have -all- the components of the project in case of catastrophe.

Three things should be archived to CD or DVD.

1. Project files (Premiere, After Effects, Soundbooth, Encore, etc.)

2. Audio files used in the project.

3. Graphics or images used in the project

You might think media would be on that list, but that will depend on how you shot.  For DV or HDV (tape based), just keep the tapes on a shelf.  No need to burn to disk.  For DVCPRO HD, AVCHD, XDCAM, and the other solid state formats, there are several media archive possibilities out there.  Hard drive, Blu-ray data disks, DVD, REV Drive, etc.  Read around and pick the one that works for you.

Some things you don't really need to worry about are video and audio previews and Media Cache files.  Premiere can easily rebuild them if needed.

P.S. I find it ironic that the Adobe forum spellchecker consideres "Soundbooth" a misspelled word, and has no 'correct' suggestion.

• 5. Re: Noob Question 16: Move/Archive Projects?
                  Suntower Level 1

I'll go check there.

Is this like S&H Green Stamps? Do you guys get like, you know, a power mower or a mixmaster for 'most wonderful answers'?

• 6. Re: Noob Question 16: Move/Archive Projects?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, I'm not sure that anybody knows. These started with the new forum design. I've been telling Harm that the first one to reach a certain level, would get an all-expenses paid trip to San Jose, to have lunch in the official Adobe cafeteria. Since he's in Holland, that would be a really good thing, regardless of how bad the food, and wine might be at the Adobe cafeteria. I do not know if he believes me though. Also, we've been urging him to bring Ann Bens along with him, since she's in Holland too. Have not heard how that's going.

For me, I'm not that far from San Jose, being in Phoenix, AZ/USA, and am in the Bay Area on business quite often. Still, an opportunity to dine at the Adobe cafeteria? Would be worth it for me. Maybe the lucky "winner" can invite his/her 20 favorite posters to that lunch. Now THAT would be a great prize!

Hunt

• 7. Re: Noob Question 16: Move/Archive Projects?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Rumor has it that the top-x participants will be invited to Abobe's HQ Cafetaria in San Jose (the lunch will be reimbursed, but travel and hotel expenses are for your own account, you know Adobe) and after lunch the invitees will be given 5 minutes each to tell Adobe what they missed, messed up or need to improve or add. That is an opportunity I would not like to miss.

• 8. Re: Noob Question 16: Move/Archive Projects?
                        Suntower Level 1

Wow. All this for a -lunch-?

You should definitely order the Lobster Thermador. And -2- starters. And a big dessert. Oh... and ask for more bread. And a cheese plate.

---JC

• 9. Re: Noob Question 16: Move/Archive Projects?
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

And booze.  Make sure to get at least a double.

-Jeff

• 10. Re: Noob Question 16: Move/Archive Projects?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure that Lobster Thermidor will be on the menu. Considering the geographic location, the dishes will be limited.

Here is the Monday lunch menu from this week:

Three-sprout salad on organic lettuce that was farmed and harvested by no oppressed workers.

Free-range tofu in organic miso broth with Lite-soy sauce.

Vegan’s Delight - no details provided.

Organic, locally sourced veggie burger on gluten-free bun.

No mention was made of any desserts, but I could imagine that there would be some pure cultured soy yogurt, with cherry.

Now, what they'll be serving on Harm's visit will remain to be seen...

Hunt

• 11. Re: Noob Question 16: Move/Archive Projects?
                              Suntower Level 1

I had no idea Adobe was so macrobiotic.

For Hollanders? Gouda. Lots of Gouda.  (Prounounced like Chanukah.) Followed by something with LOTS of potatoes and those pannakoeken with built-in bacon. A light lunch. Chased with Kafee mit Stroopwaffel. And for dessert? Something with raw ginger and a couple o' big squirts of almond paste. (Someone from Friesland is behind me, waiting to kill me.)

Bon Appetit!

So back to the OT...

One needs to save:

a. Projects

b. Source files (Clips, audio, PSDs, etc.)

c. And the Adobe 4.0 folder.

Are there not also deep/hidden places where all of one's personal settings are stored?

I'm a bit paranoid about this because, when I first got CS4, 2 hours after installing the last DVD,  the auto-internet-updater thing kicked in and then an hour after that, I found that all my 'personal settings' went away and I had to start over. I want to be -sure- that, if my system crashes, I get back up with -everything- as it was (presets, preferences, etc.).

Thanks,

---JC

• 12. Re: Noob Question 16: Move/Archive Projects?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Are there not also deep/hidden places where all of one's personal settings are stored?

You have your Prefs files. With PS, I always keep a copy of these, as there seem to be many ways that they can be corrupted, and the need to either copy over the copies, or rebuild does exist. Though, after decades with that program, I have my first instant, where I had to "Trash My Prefs."

PrPro seems far, far less prone to such things happening, but there have been a very few instances, where this fixed some things. Usually, cleaning out PrPro's Cache Files takes care of things. [No need to worry about backing those up.]

No, I think that you got it. I'm slighty more paranoid about media files, than Jim is, even though I do not overwrite tapes and store them. I'm also lazy and hate to redo Captures. I do back up my media files, as external space is cheap. Also, with the exception of my Video Capture files, I am always working with copies of all other Assets. SFX, Music, still images, etc., are all stored elsewhere, and then I copy these over to my Project folders. I still back up these copies, especially as I may have edited them along the way.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS I probably do not have as many large Projects, as Jim does, so I can see the wisdom of his suggestion - so long as you have the tapes!