10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 6:04 PM by mejanr

input level for narration

mejanr Level 1

hello,

I don't seem to have any input level lights when adding narration. The lights show up for audio and soundtracks but not for narration. How can I fix this please??

• 1. Re: input level for narration
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're using a USB microphone, it may not work at all.

Click on the microphone icon on the Narration panel and ensure that the hardware configuration listed there matches your set-up.

Also, go to Edit/Preferences in Premiere Elements, go to the Audio Hardware tab and click the ASIO settings button and ensure the configuration there is always correct. (Remember, many computers have more than one place to plug a microphone in.)

Finally, if all else fails, go to your computer's audio configuration under Start/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio and ensure that your microphone is set up correctly, the audio level is up all of the way and that the microphone is not muted.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: input level for narration
            mejanr Level 1

thanks for that -I have done all those things you mentioned, and the

narration seems to work fine now even without a microphone ( I turned up the

microphone boost option to full) However I am still not getting any inut

level lights in the narration box??

Should these lights work without a microphone?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: input level for narration
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's impossible for me to say without knowing your hardware configuration within Premiere Elements and the Narration panel.

• 4. Re: input level for narration
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Without a microphone to provide an input signal, ther will be nothing for PE to work with. You will need to connect a microphone that has been properly configured.

What are your settings in all of the possible locations? I think that Steve hit all three of those: PE, your system and your Audio device control console. Setting must me made in all three for successful Narration recording.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: input level for narration
                  mejanr Level 1

Hello again - thanks for being so patient!

My asio settings are Output   X(box crossed) Realtek High Definition Audio

2048 0 2 16 NO (All highlighted in black)                      Input

X(box crossed) Realtek etc.                            2048 0 2 16 YES ( Not

highlighted in black)

Should that NO be YES?

In the narration box, Realtek comes up also when I click on microphone.

I have switched from a usb microphone to a standard one that plugs into the

front of my computer, and I can hear the sound fron my project clips and the

lvel lights are working now, BUT now when I try to add the narration, the

microphone does not seem to be working and there is no sound in the

narration clip??? The narration works fine without a microphone i.e. when i

just speak straight into the computer speakers.

Thankyou

• 6. Re: input level for narration
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The narration works fine without a microphone i.e. when i

just speak straight into the computer speakers.

This likely points to the problem. I'd wager that your computer has a mic, that is hooked up to the Realtek card, and THAT is what you are recording with. You will need to disable that mic, so your Realtek can see and use the mic plugged into it externally.

I'd look at Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Sound, video and game controllers, and see what is listed. I'll lay odds that your Realteck is hooked to a mic. You may have to explore your exact computer with the mfgr., to see how to disable that mic.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: input level for narration
                      mejanr Level 1

Hi,

I have just clicked the front mic setting as default in audio device manager

to see if that makes a difference, but it didn't. I have sound from my clips

in the earphones, but the mic does not work thus no narration is recorded.

The narration still works fine though without a microphone attached!  I just

gave Steve the other settings.

Really confused!!

• 8. Re: input level for narration
                        mejanr Level 1

Hi again,

That sounds like it could be right. Narration sounds ok straight into

speakers. Do you think sound will be good enough on finished DVD when played

on TV if I don't use the another mic.?

• 9. Re: input level for narration
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, while a speaker is a transducer and can physically "recieve" soundwaves and respond to these, the circuitry to capture any excitement to the speaker's diapharam does not exist, unless you have wired your speakers to an input connection.

There has to be another mic coming into play, or your mic, plugged into the front of the computer, is picking up your speaking into the speakers.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: input level for narration
                            mejanr Level 1

I meant to say that I looked in Sound Video and Game controllers, and it has

2 things listed. HD Audio Device and Realtek HD Audio ??