11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 4:18 PM by EckleySP

DVD Not Playing on a Bose Player

EckleySP Level 1

I burned several DVDs (standard, not HD), same project, and they work in a PS3, but not in a Bose DVD Player.  In the Bose Player, they get in to it about 20 minutes then start freezing and jumping...   any ideas?   Is Bose that different, or is this just another case of not all players being able to play home made DVDs.

btw - no menus, no markers.

• 1. Re: DVD Not Playing on a Bose Player
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Not all DVD players can play home-burned DVDs equally well.It's not a software issue. It's all about hardware and the nature of the medium.

But you can increase the chances it will work by:

1) Use a quality brand disc like Verbatim, and stay away from cheaper brands, like Memorex

2) NEVER stick a label of any kind on your DVD

• 2. Re: DVD Not Playing on a Bose Player
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve points out, some DVD set-top players will just not play any burned disc. By the DVD-spec (allows them to stick that "DVD" logo on the unit), they are not required to play ANY burned DVD. Most do, but some do not.

To insure the greatest possible compatibility with the greatest number of DVD players, I follow these three rules:

1.) Use the best media. As Steve says, Verbatim is very good, as is Taiyo Yuden. I never use anything but these two.

2.) Burn at the slowest possible speed. Now, with many burning applications, and PE is one, the speed is set automatically. It is base on the speed of the media and the speed of the physical burner. Other programs let you set slower burn speeds. In PE, I would suggest doing one of two things:

A.) buy the slowest speed media that you can find.

B.) Burn to Folder and then use ImgBurn to actually do the burn, as it will let you adjust that speed down to a much lower level -

2.4x is a good one to use, if you can get that slow.

3.) Keep the MB/s under about 7.5. This is tough to set in many programs, but if you back off slightly from the PE setting of 8 (just slightly), you'll be OK.

There will still be no guarantee that all players will play the disc, but you will have done the best that you can. Using these rules, I've never had a disc come back as unplayable.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: DVD Not Playing on a Bose Player
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also, write your output to a folder on your hard drive and then use the free http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn to a disc... using the slowest possible setting possible to obtain the best burn possible

• 4. Re: DVD Not Playing on a Bose Player
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Dang, I think there's an echo in this room this morning.

Good morning John!

Hunt

PS glad that I got it right, or you'd be all over me...

• 5. Re: DVD Not Playing on a Bose Player

Grin... I started with Compuserve back in the days when a 300baud modem was standard, and I was saving my pennies to buy one of the new, blazing fast 1200baud modems

Even today, with DSL, I tend to write short messages and post very quickly... but not as complete as what you post

Anyway, however the info gets to the screen, the OP has several things to try now to see if a new disc will play on the Bose

• 6. Re: DVD Not Playing on a Bose Player
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Speaking of Compuserve, I just heard that Coumpuserve Standard had been discontinued after 20 years.

Somewhere I still have my 9600 modem. It replaced a 400, an 800 and a 4800 unit. I think that the power cable still has Bulldog teeth prints from those days.

Later,

Hunt

PS, thanks for helping out the dude with the Mac, who needed older Adobe software. As he posted to every possible forum, I could not keep up with who had replied, and when I went to find your link in that particular thread, it was not there.

• 7. Re: DVD Not Playing on a Bose Player
                      EckleySP Level 1

OK, I'll ask . . .

How would a label effect the playing of a DVD?

• 8. Re: DVD Not Playing on a Bose Player

The weight and balance are thrown off, so the disc does not spin properly

• 9. Re: DVD Not Playing on a Bose Player
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Plus the adhesive has been suspected to cause dye layer rot, though I have only seen anecdotal reports and nothing from the scientific front.

Inkjet printables are the best route, and do not forget to only buy Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden inkjet printable, should you go that route.

CD/DVD inkjet printers can be quite inexpensive, and in the US, the market is now open. For some years, only Epson could have that capability. Now, I think that at least HP and Canon have joined the ranks, though they were available for the rest of the world all along.

I started with an Epson R-240 (IIRC) and paid about US$49 for it on clearance. I moved to an R-300, then an R-340. All worked well. I'm on an R-1900 now, and it's great.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: DVD Not Playing on a Bose Player
                            Kodebuster Level 3

I've been using a Casio labelmaker for years to label all kinds of player media (CD, DVD, and now Bluray).

The output format for the labeler is similiar to the Brother P-Touch.

I have yet to run into any issues where the media would not play (and I've generated, and given out, a ton of media thru the years).

I'm sure if you load up a disk with labels concentrated to one area, this may cause a wobble, but I've found those caes to be rare (and easy to fix).

If you need to peel off a label, or change it, there is absolutely no adhesive or film left behind.

I love my label maker...

• 11. Re: DVD Not Playing on a Bose Player
                              EckleySP Level 1

Understood - if I put a label on it, I always put one label - carefully centering it (otherwise, it would look like crap).  Since I spend a LOT of time and effort into making the labels - and making them 'interesting', I'd like to keep that practice - though I'll google your label maker and see what I see...  Thanks again for your help.