4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 5:30 AM by TᴀW

Max. 30 profiles?

TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the advice about not having more than 30 profiles still applicable with Windows XP SP3? Right now, I seem to have over 40.

Thanks you,

Ariel

• 1. Re: Max. 30 profiles?
          Lou Dina Level 3

Only 40??  I probably have hundreds.  No problems at all.  They just sit there quietly and do nothing until called upon.  However, I believe Photoshop scans for plugins, profiles and other components upon startup, so it may take longer to load and might eat up a little available memory, but I haven't looked into that.

Lou

• 2. Re: Max. 30 profiles?

But don't forget that I'm on Windows. A number of times now I've seen

warnings not to have more than 30 profiles on Windows because Windows might

select the wrong profile. Is that no longer relevant?

• 3. Re: Max. 30 profiles?
              Lou Dina Level 3

I am referring to Windows XP SP3.  I have never had any problems with lots of profiles in my normal profiles folder. I just moved to a Mac and have lots of profiles there too.  No problem.

I build custom profiles for people, so have literally hundreds of profiles on my system.  Occasionally, I move the profiles I will never use to a separate folder, but mainly because I don't like seeing a gazillion profiles to choose from.  Too confusing.  Like I mentioned, perhaps all these profiles eat up some resources and slow down loading, but I have never had a problem.  I am sure I am not alone.  Many people who send jobs to press often have half a dozen or more profiles for a given press and paper grade combination, plus many of these possible combinations.  I suspect Rick McCleary is one of them.  (Hi Rick).

So, the ones you will NEVER use can be moved to another folder, but you shouldn't see any problems with over 40 in your normal profiles folder.

Lou

• 4. Re: Max. 30 profiles?

Okay, thanks Lou. I guess it was a problem with earlier versions of Windows.