3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 8:52 AM by Ned Murphy

XML Gallery Description Text

generalbatzorig Level 1

Hello Dear,

I am trying to find a help on my project. I am building a scrolling thumbnails gallery in Flash. I recently learned about the fast loading advantage of XML driven gallery. I was finally able to make a scrolling gallery, but spent almost a week trying to figure out how to add the descriptions for each image. There are plenty of slideshow galleries that are already set and on sale. But I don't like the look and function of most of them.

Here you can see the simple example of what I am trying to do:

http://www.batzorig.com/xml

I need to learn how to add description for each images that are loaded by XML. I tried to do it myself reading many different tutorials and trying to mix different parts from different files. Just couldn't make it work. Spending a whole week on this problem. Please help?

• 1. Re: XML Gallery Description Text
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The title for each image should accompany each image in the xml file. Your xml file image entries could be of the form...

<image>

<imagefile>filename</imagefile>

<imagetitle>title</imagettitle>

</image>

When you parse the xml file you can create an array of objects, where each object contains the image file name and the title.

imageArray[i] = { file: filename, title: title };

• 2. Re: XML Gallery Description Text
            generalbatzorig Level 1

Thank you very much for answering to my post again. You helped me out numerous times.

You advise was informative. However, I am still not able to make it work because this action script and xml is just an unpredictable universe to me. If I send you the file by attachment (or the action script) can you help me out in little more detail?

I can put the image title in XML as you suggested. But on Flash part I am totally lost. I suppose there must be a new box for the title part, and I don't know how I put the text in there and how to make the adjustments etc.

• 3. Re: XML Gallery Description Text
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here is a link to a 20 minute tutorial that may help you figure out how to deal with the xml at the Flash end.  It is what I used to introduce myself to using XML with Flash.  I rcommend you take the time to follow it and even try it one your own with what you learn... then figure out how to apply it to your design.

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play?id=64