5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 5:46 PM by the_wine_snob

Strange sound problem with PPro cs4

MaestriaProductions

Hi there,

I switched to CS4 recently and have been working with it since then and when I load my projects, some of my sound doesnt work. I tried everything I found on the net but can't resolve this issue. Here's the gig :

I filmed with a Canon HG20 which gives .m2ts files. I use the sound from this file + some added sound that I find on the net. When I open my project, the sound of my first part of my sequence is working correctly but not the rest. And what's even bette is that the background sound that I put everywhere is working during all my sequence... so only track 1 and 2 aren't working and it is not muted or "disfunctionnal" since the first 3mins are actually working. I imported the sequences that do not work from other CS4 projects... Might that be the problem? if so, isn't it suppose to NOT be a problem?

If you have any idea or any more questions, go ahead.

Thanks for your time.

Jonathan

• 1. Re: Strange sound problem with PPro cs4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, Dbl-click on the first Audio Clip that does not play. This opens it in the source monitor. What does the Waveform look like? Does it play in the Source Monitor?

If it does, then Rt-click on it, and choose Render Replace. Does that work?

If it does not play in the Source Monitor and the Waveform is flat line, I'd look at converting outside of PrPro, and Importing just the Audio. Do you have Audition, or Soundbooth? Do not know about SB, but Audition will rip the Audio from most muxed Video files. Just do a Save_As and choose 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV. Import that into PrPro.

MPEG Audio can be very problematic.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Strange sound problem with PPro cs4
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            I imported the sequences that do not work from other CS4 projects... Might that be the problem? if so, isn't it suppose to NOT be a problem?

Question: do these same Clips play in their original Projects?

What exact method did you use to Import from one Project into another, not Ctrl-c/Ctrl-v, by chance?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Strange sound problem with PPro cs4
              MaestriaProductions Level 1

Hey thanks for the quick answer.

The line is a flat one. But, like I said, it is only for the imported media and when I open the project back. If I import my sequence (from the other project) and play it, it'll be fine... until I close and open the saved project again...

As for importing, I always do "Import" then "Selected Sequences Only" (or something like that).

If I wanna play the sequence (project 1) that I imported in project 2, after opening the project 2, even the sequence taken individually is not working (for the sound only).

Curiously, the sounds that I put yesterday that I did NOT imported from another project is just working fine.

Not sure if it was clear English isn't my first language and writing a problem isn't as clear as seeing it hehe.

• 4. Re: Strange sound problem with PPro cs4
                MaestriaProductions Level 1

Oh and if I open the old project (the one with the original sequence, not imported) the sequence is all good, sound is working, etc.

• 5. Re: Strange sound problem with PPro cs4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, that rules out the Ctrl-c/Ctrl-v Audio glitch.

Have you tried Selecting the Audio in a Clip and hitting Ctrl-m? What happens?

I've just not heard of the Audio going "flatline" when one Imports a Sequence.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Good luck,

Hunt