9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 6:30 PM by Harm Millaard

Reversing a clip ...

billmarq

Let's say I have a two-second long clip, perhaps of a cowboy spinning a gun, whatever, and I want to copy that clip and run it in reverse, then paste the copy onto the end of the first to end up with a four second clip that appears to be a continuos clip, HOW do I do this in Premiere Pro?  It is so easy to do in Premiere Elements and very frustrating to me that I cannot find out how to do this in Pro.  I have played with the time remapping but I never get the results I want.

Help. please.

• 1. Re: Reversing a clip ...
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's where the manual helps.

Right click the clip, choose Speed/Duration, check Reverse Speed.

• 2. Re: Reversing a clip ...
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Check out this THREAD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Reversing a clip ...
              billmarq Level 1

Thanks, guys.  I don't know how I missed this.  I have reseaarched it twice and never found this answer.  One thing, I had to "uncheck" the reverse speed box.  I don't know if I checked it before and forgot, or what.  Anyway, my frustration is over.  Like I say, I have done this in Elements with no problem.  Maybe I am going crazy.

Shoulda come here in the first place.

• 4. Re: Reversing a clip ...
                the_wine_snob Level 9

There are enough differences between how things are done in PE and in PrPro. PE has more "big-button" Presets, and far fewer controls, or at least easily accessible controls.

I spend a bunch of time on the PE forum, but always have to think, "OK, this is PE. Does my normal workflow from PrPro work here?" Often, I have to open up PE, just to check. For me, PE was an addition to the toolbox, long after PrPro, so I tend to think of things relative to PrPro.

If you came from PE3, or earlier, things will be more alike, especially where the Timeline is concerned. If you came from PE4, or PE7, then the transition will be a bit more difficult, because of the differences in the interface, plus more is done by hand, but with that control.

If you have the manual, I would strongly suggest devoting a weekend to read it. At first, some of the concepts and terms will seem alien to you, but in just a bit, you'll start saying, "hey, that's just like _____ in PE, but with more controls."

There is another, more recent thread, on doing exactly what you want to do, but I could not find it. [Man, I hate the Search on the new forum!] In it, Harm Millard links to a short video that he did, with the effect used in a sequence of two cats "dancing." If I find it, I'll post that link too, though Jim nailed your answer, and before I could find THAT link. He's just so quick. [Edit] though I do notice that my post had an earlier timestamp - maybe he cheats?

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Reversing a clip ...
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

The clip Bill alluded to is this one: http://vimeo.com/1954849 and the scene with the reversals is around 1:40

• 6. Re: Reversing a clip ...
                    billmarq Level 1

Thanks for the welcome.  I do own a legit copy of Pro CS4, but cannot find the manual.  I looked through the Classroom in a Book, and then used Adobe's help function looking for "reverse clip" and I always ended up with instructions on how to use time remapping, which is neat but doesn't quite do what I needed to do.  That ctrl-click/drag stuff seems hit or miss as to picking where to start and end the effect.

I guess everyone thinks we can figure out the "easy" stuff without any help.  More than once I have asked myself why I spent so much money on the professional version when I could more easily do some things in PE.  I am learning, but slowly.  On top of all this, I am also trying to figure out After Effects.  Yikes!

Gotta find that PrPro manual ...

• 7. Re: Reversing a clip ...
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, here's that other THREAD with Harm's video link.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Reversing a clip ...
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

The printed manual can be ordered specifically. The alternative is: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/premierepro_cs4_help.pdf

• 9. Re: Reversing a clip ...
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The deal with the printed manuals has been in flux for some time. I upgraded to CS2 Creative Suite Premium from CS and got no manuals. I ordered the whole lot for US$60 and got them. When I went to CS2 Production Studio (same upgrade path), I got all manuals. Go figure. Still, being a book-guy, that US$60 was not a bad deal, as PS, AI and InDesign had made enough changes, that I wanted the manuals.

PDF's are OK for limited on-line type access, and I keep one for each of my programs on each machine for reference. Still, I like those old-fashioned books, 'cause I can write in them, add tabs for topics and take them on my flight to LHR from SFO.

Hunt