2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 8:44 AM by the_wine_snob

Best settings

mentalcase129 Level 1

I'm new to Premiere CS3...I used to work a lot with a much older version until recently and I'm a little thrown by the changes to the project settings and defaults.  I'm currently editing some video for a friend which was made in 1920x1080.  What project settings should I be using for a video of this size.  I'm ultimately going to be putting this on DVD for them too.

I experimented a little bit with the program a few months back when I first got it and at the time it seemed to be automatically resizing footage to fit the current setting (if it was wide screen it even made the necassary letter box for TV).  I don't know if or what I'm doing differently this time though.

Any pointers in this area would be greatly appreciated.  I'm working on a project of my own as well and I'll likely be using Premiere in the near future to edit it.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Best settings
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are going to DVD-Video, that is SD, and it would be better to Capture from the camera with it set to do the down-rez, probably via its Menu>Mode. This means that you'd set up a DV Project (NTSC, or PAL, depending on your location).

Now, if you might wish to do HD output later, you can do a Desktop Project* to the HD specs. of that camera, and Capture with it in HD output Mode. This will then give you a little problem, when doing the Export to SD for the DVD-Video. PrPro is not the best at down-rezing from HD to SD. Take heart, Dan Isaacs has posted his ultimate workflow for highest quality HD to SD on the Adobe Forum. His workflow involves some 3rd party software, but I think it's all freeware. An HD Project will require more computing horsepower, but will give you the potential for using the same Project and Export for BD delivery.

If you chose the SD DV route, you would need to redo the editing, should a BD ever be desired.

Good luck,

Hunt

* I'm not near PrPro right now, but do not think that any of the CS3 HD Project Presets will quite match, but could be wrong. If you have one that does exactly match, you will not need to do Desktop and make the settings by hand. Check this out, rather than rely on my memory.

• 2. Re: Best settings
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's the LINK to Dan Isaacs' HD to SD Workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt