15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 12:58 PM by the_wine_snob

ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?

d_rick

hi,

i'm trying to edit video from my helmet cam (http://vholdr.com/contourhd/techspecs) and was wondering if anyone here has tried to do this yet, and if they were successful.The unit shootsHD video, here is the blurb from their site (http://vholdr.com/contourhd/features):

"Fill your screen with vivid, widescreen (16:9) helmet cam video. With a full 1280x720 pixel and 30 frames per second, your videos will be just how you remember them, big and awesome!"

A search of vholdr and contourhd turned up 0 results, so i'm guessing the answer is no.

I'm trying to edit this on a Dell XPS410 with a quad core processor, 4GB of memory, 2x 750GB SATA x 7200 RPM HDD's in a RAID0 stripe, ATI X850XT GPU, and Vista X64 SP2 so i think i should have plenty of horsepower.

I've created a project, added clips, added a menu, and tried to burn and it locked up my system to the point where i had to hard power cycle it.

Not a good start

• 1. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I assume that this helmet cam uses some sort of flash-based memory. This means it likely also uses a non-standard codec in order to store its video as MP4 or MPEG.

The best solution would probably be to convert the file using a program like Prizm, as you would with video from the Flip camcorder.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0

• 2. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

IIRC, there was a nice thread on helmut cams on Muvipix. Seems that Ed was involved in it and also did some testing. I do not recall which sub-forum it was in, nor do I recall if this was for SD, or HD material.

Hunt

• 3. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?
              d_rick Level 1

Steve Grisetti wrote:

I assume that this helmet cam uses some sort of flash-based memory. This means it likely also uses a non-standard codec in order to store its video as MP4 or MPEG.

The best solution would probably be to convert the file using a program like Prizm, as you would with video from the Flip camcorder.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0

Steve,

That is correct it uses a MicroSD card for storage. Per their website, it stores the movies in h.264 with an aac audio codec / quicktime (i.e. *.mov format). Can you help me understand your POV on whether that is a standard codec or not? FYI, here is the information shown from QT Pro's video inspector tells me:

qt  : Apple QuickTime (.MOV/QT)
              File Type: QuickTime (.MOV)
              Mime Type: video/quicktime
              Recommended Display Size: 1280 x 720
              Created:      2008 Jan 17   22:07:36
              Modified:      2008 Jan 17   22:07:36

MPEG-4 AAC LC
              48000Hz  64 kb/s , mono (1/0)

I've actually tried converting this to mp4 already (i've been fighting Roxio for the last 2 months, and finally gave up and bought PE7), and that didn't work on Roxio. Does SuperC do the same thing as Prizm?

• 4. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?
                d_rick Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

IIRC, there was a nice thread on helmut cams on Muvipix. Seems that Ed was involved in it and also did some testing. I do not recall which sub-forum it was in, nor do I recall if this was for SD, or HD material.

Hunt

fyi, i'm recording in HD and the only string i found has no information on my camera in particular.

thanks for the suggestion

• 5. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?

It's worth a try!

Otherwise, with MOV files, Quicktime Pro ($29 from Apple) will definitely work as both a converter and basic video editor.

• 6. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?
                    d_rick Level 1

ok, my 2nd trial run worked correctly and i was able to add them into a PE7 project and burn it to a DVD +R DL disc.

now i want to burn it in HD, as the source files are in HD... just one problem, PE7 doesn't allow me to customize the project settings to 1280x720 as a valid output? a quick look at the online help files, and the users guide seem to support that conclusion.

that seems odd as even Roxio allowed me to modify the output to the desired resolution.

• 7. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Unless you used an HD Preset for your Project, you will need to create a new Project with the proper HD Presets. PE does not allow for one to change these settings midstream. In general, all Project Presets should match the source footage and then one can tailor their Export as is required and desired.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?
                        d_rick Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

Unless you used an HD Preset for your Project, you will need to create a new Project with the proper HD Presets. PE does not allow for one to change these settings midstream. In general, all Project Presets should match the source footage and then one can tailor their Export as is required and desired.

Good luck,

Hunt

thanks for the suggestion.

so i created a new HD project with HD presets (which coincidentally are the ones that i want [1280x720x29.97]). however when i go to burn the BR disc, it still only shows 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 as the output choices for me?

what am i doing wrong?

• 9. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a link to the LIST of the full BD format specs.

Unfortunately, someone else will have to address your exact situation, as I do not do HD work, hence no BD output.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?
                            d_rick Level 1

this one is pretty close per that list:

1280 × 720   16x9 23.976 Progressive

although i wish it was 29.97 FPS

can i ask my 1st dumb question of the day? what/where does encore fit in or have to do with PE7?

• 11. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              can i ask my 1st dumb question of the day? what/where does encore fit in or have to do with PE7?

This is not the least bit "dumb."

PE is a combination of both an editor and an authoring program. While the operations have a symbiotic relationship in the production of a DVD-Video, or BD, they are separate operations. PE's authoring capabilities are somewhat limited and are also semi-automatic.

Encore is a full authoring program, with extremely limited editing capabilities. As close as it comes to editing is with its SlideShow function, which is almost an afterthought and not at all powerful. For years, Encore was sold separately, or within some PrPro "suites." That is how I came to it, in a suite. As of CS3 and now CS4 of PrPro, it is ONLY available with those programs. It is no longer available, except on the "used" market and only up to version 2.0. For use with PE, it's moot, unless one 1.) owns a copy from before CS3, or 2.) also has PrPro CS3, or CS4, or has access to a copy on someone else's computer.

Background: authoring is the process of creating the navigational aspects and linking them to Menus, Sub-menus and Assets. Most often, the Assets come from an editor (an NLE, like PE, or PrPro), or an Audio editing application, like Audition. Most pure authoring programs can do no editing, or very limited editing. They help on create the structure of the DVD-Video, or BD, and then can Transcode the Assets to fit, if necessary, and can Burn to DVD-Video, or BD.

Since Encore is not available any longer as a stand-alone, one would be faced with the situations listed above, or the use of a full authoring program, such as Sony DVD Architect. This would be for doing more authoring, than PE is capable of. Remember, it is limited and also semi-automatic. A full authoring program can utilize much more of the DVD-spec. Programs like Sonc Scenarist (US$150,000 for full BD version + licensing fees) can explore 100% of the DVD-specs. Encore and DVD Architect less, but still most and are quite good at what they do. A program, DVD Studio Pro allows more of the full DVD-spec to be utilized, but is not nearly as easy to use, as Encore or DVD Architect. There are other apps. with some authoring capabilities and those capabilities will differ from app. to app. Nero, Roxio, Magix and CyberLink offer some authoring capabilities.

With the exceptions listed above, if one is using PE, their choices are:

1.) use the authoring built into PE

2.) Export from PE, and use DVD Architect, or other

Encore, while a great program, is no longer likely to figure into the workflow. I personally wish that Adobe would bring it back as a stand-alone for others. I will always have it bundled with my PrPro upgrades, plus I have it in version 2.0, as a stand-alone.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 12. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?
                                d_rick Level 1

WOW!!!

so my systems has been trying encode the video in blu ray for over 30 hours straight now. it got to 89% complete, and then came back with a out of storage space error message (which scares the crap out of as i have over 1TB free on the system).

this is going downhill fast

• 13. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?

And you followed my advice and converted the video? That's very surprising!

• 14. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?
                                    d_rick Level 1

no, this was a baseline test to see if the unmodified video could be edited / burned without changing it.

so on to my second dumb question of the string, why would that matter if it was converted or not?

• 15. Re: ContourHD, has anyone else tried to edit output with PE7?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      why would that matter if it was converted or not?

What happens with a conversion program is that all it has to do is convert. When one has the file in an NLE, like PE, it has to first internally convert, and then edit. Depending on the CODEC, this can be a lot of work for one's computer - often too much work.

Good luck,

Hunt