12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 9:02 PM by David Wigforss-Hv1BNN

New to Ae, Need Help with Time Remapping (Tutorial Anywhere?)

anathematized_one Level 1

I am very very much new to Ae (CS4) and I was using Premiere Pro CS4 to edit a video, but I need to speed it up, however as many of you may know, when you use Time Remapping in Pr, the sound doesn't sync up.  However when you do it in Ae, it does.  So...

What I'm trying to do is let the clip I'm editing go for a little while, then gradually increase the speed to 250% of the original over the course of about six seconds, stay at 250% for a while, then gradually over the course of about six seconds back to 100% of the original speed.

I'm kind of having trouble figuring out how to use Ae though.  There is plenty of easy to understand tutorials out there for Pr, but I can't really find any good ones for Ae.

• 1. Re: New to Ae, Need Help with Time Remapping (Tutorial Anywhere?)
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
          I'm kind of having trouble figuring out how to use Ae though.  There is plenty of easy to understand tutorials out there for Pr, but I can't really find any good ones for Ae.

Hello, anathemized.

If anything, After Effects is famous for the amazing community of users around it.

For any given topic, there will be probably a dozen (or more) tutorials on the web. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any other compositing/motion graphics application for which there's such an amount of web content as AE.

Regarding time remapping: The Premiere Pro implementation is less orthodox, if you want, with a focus on ease of use. For example, variable speed changes in PPro's time remapping affect the duration of the clip, which is perhaps not typical TR (but I understand how that can be easier to digest).

AE is more of a purist when it comes to time remapping!

Actually, Time Remap works like most other features in AE - you can think of speed,  not  as the direct parameter you adjust, but rather as a direct consequence of tweaking parameters. The parameter for time remapping is the source file's time code. So, if in 2 seconds, you set 2 keyframes to go from 0 to 4 seconds, AE will show 4 seconds of original content in those 2 seconds in the timeline. As a consquence, speed will be 200 per cent faster. This becomes evident in the speed graph in the graph editor. If you point at the speed graph, you'll get a speed read out.

Now, I imagine all of the above can still sound complicated, so let's go back to tutorials and resources.

In the last few years, the After Effects manual has become a great online resource, which is in itself full of tips and tricks, example projects, video tutorials, etc. But also, it indexes many other web sites that offer tutorials, articles, related forum posts and other relevant materials.

So, let's do this:

Go to AE help on the web, type "time remapping" in the search field, and tell me what you think

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New to Ae, Need Help with Time Remapping (Tutorial Anywhere?)

Yeah you totally lost me.

But either way, when I speed it up, I do want the clip to get shorter.

Anway, I'll check out that website and those tutorials and see what comes of it.

Thanks for that link, but I've been there earlier and I couldn't understand anything it was talking about really.

• 3. Re: New to Ae, Need Help with Time Remapping (Tutorial Anywhere?)
              But either way, when I speed it up, I do want the clip to get shorter.

Time Remap is not supposed to do that. In fact, we could discuss if a feature which works that way is... remapping time

As I said, PPro is the only implementation that works like that. It's easier to understand, but you also loose some of the power in time remapping.

Thanks for that link, but I've been there earlier and I couldn't understand anything it was talking about really.

Yes, AE is a sophisticated application. The feeling of mastering tjese things and taking advantage of them in your projects is what makes it so rewarding.

But again, if you search "time remapping", you'll see that not only the relevant AE Help sections appear listed, but also many tutorials from different web sites as well.

• 4. Re: New to Ae, Need Help with Time Remapping (Tutorial Anywhere?)

So, what effect/thing/whatever do I need to do/use to do what I said I wanted to do?

Like, the clip plays up to 10 seconds, then I want it to increase in speed gradually over 6 seconds to 250% of the original speed.  Then I want it to stay there until it gets near the end of the original clip, then gradually decrease over 6 seconds back to 100% of the original speed, shortening it in the process.

P.S.  I can't do the time remapping in Pr because the time doesn't increase with the video...

• 5. Re: New to Ae, Need Help with Time Remapping (Tutorial Anywhere?)

You use time remapping. In fact, when you enable TR, you'll notice that the layer duration is not constrained to the original boundaries anymore. You can extend it beyond the layer's original out point.

So, what you want to do is keep the TR keyframe at the layer's zero point with a value of zero. Set a second keyframe at the layer's 6:00 point,  with a value of about 14:00 (if at all possible, because maybe the original clip doesn't have any more material). You made it like this because if you show 14 seconds of video in a six seconds segment, the playback speed is roughly  250 per cent speed. You can do better than "roughly", but that would require using the speed graph...

To have true variable speed you want to set the first keyframe (the one at 0:00) to perform an "easy ease out", so speed ramps up gradually (that's what "ease out" means for any property). Setting speed back to 100 per cent can be achieved to some degree justwith common sense, but getting familiar with the speed graph will make it way more accurate. I say common sense, because if at 06:00 you have a keyframe with a time code value of 14:00, then one possible way to get back to 100 per cent is to show four seconds of material in the remaining four seconds (provided, again, that your source material does have something at 18:00). As you can see, TR needs abundant "handles" (ie, additional material in the source layer) to work at its' best.

• 6. Re: New to Ae, Need Help with Time Remapping (Tutorial Anywhere?)

And now I'm lost again.

So like, let's look at this speed graph option, I might be able to understand that more.  I tried reading the stuff about it in that link you sent me, but everything there assumes you already have a basic understanding of Ae and how it works, or how this type of software works.

I, don't.

• 7. Re: New to Ae, Need Help with Time Remapping (Tutorial Anywhere?)
                      but everything there assumes you already have a basic understanding of Ae and how it works, or how this type of software works.

Actually, that is true.

AE is not something you learn by injecting yourself a cartridge ("I know Kung-fu").

So, yes, Time Remapping puts to work a lot of central concepts that are essential to AE. Once you're familiar with those, everything else will be much easier.

It will make way more sense if you start from the beginning. And certainly understanding the difference between a speed graph and a value graph is not the beginning

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: New to Ae, Need Help with Time Remapping (Tutorial Anywhere?)

Man I don't have the time for that.  >_<

I work 100+ hours per week, 7 days per week, and on top of that I'm trying to learn CGI and all these damn Autodesk programs I need to create this stuff.

I just need to go to college for this stuff and get a full-ride scholoship(s) and pell grants to pay my rent.

Damn my life sucks.  I just want to do one thing one time, and there is no simple way to do it.

• 9. Re: New to Ae, Need Help with Time Remapping (Tutorial Anywhere?)

Don't worry. You have all the time in the world, because learning an application like AE takes months and years, not days and weeks.

All of this is a good thing, because learning AE is a lot of fun. It's not going to the dentist. If you approach it from that mind set, you'll be fine.

And eveything you learn will be immediately usable. Just don't pick a random feature, especially an advanced one, and demand yourself to master it in hours. The foundations are important.

• 10. Re: New to Ae, Need Help with Time Remapping (Tutorial Anywhere?)
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I recommend starting with the items listed under the "Getting started" heading on the main After Effects Help & Support portal page.

• 11. Re: New to Ae, Need Help with Time Remapping (Tutorial Anywhere?)
                              David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2

I'll try to offer you a helping hand.  I use Time Remapping just about every day at work.  When you enable time remapping on a layer, it places keyframes at the first frame of your footage and at the last frame.

The values of those keyframes corespond to the frame of your footage item.  Note: If you've trimmed your clip, those keyframes won't be at the trimmed in/out points.

If you have trimmed your clip, I recommend setting keyframes on the clip's in/out points, so you see what your handles are.  If you do that, you can delete the initial keyframes, so your clip won't play before/after what you originally set as your clip's boundaries.

Okay...  Next, you can use any of the types of keyframes that are utilized throughout the program.  Linear, Easy In/Out/Ease(that does both), Hold.

Set keyframes where you want the speed changes to occor.  When you want to do a hold, make sure to first set a keyframe on the frame immediately after the frame you want to hold on.

Then you can select all the keyframes after it and drag them along the time line, so you maintain you speed.

The trick to keeping the speed consistant when setting keyframes is to make sure you set a keyframe and you select all of the keyframes after that time and drag.

Remember, the keyframes are values of frames of video.

When you want a specific frame of video to play at a specific time on your timeline, set a timeremap keyframe of that value at that time. It's a wordy statement, but take some time to reread and learn what I said.

My main use of time remapping is for doing lip sync on 2d characters, as well as retiming animation.  With my characters, there's a lot of pose to pose animation, so there's a lot of holds.  So, by setting keyframes at the start of the hold, the first frame that the animation restarts, and then keyframes at the next hold and restart, I can slide those middle keyframes, to control the length of the pauses.  For lip sync, I have my mouth shapes on 1 frame durations inside a precomp (a composition within a composition - read up on help on that, it's extremely useful). I then time remap my mouth layer, so that a keyframe of 0:00:01 = A Mouth, 2 = B, 3 = C, 4=E, 5=F (we have 5 mouth shapes).  Lastly, I set the keyframes to HOLD, so they don't interpolate between them (creating unwanted lipsync).

Remember: I just want that frame to play at that specific time.

BTW: To set a keyframe at the current time, click the 0 between the arrows on the left <0>

To display all keyframes on a layer, select the layer and hit u

- and = zoom on the timeline

, and . zoom in the comp window

j and k allows you to move current time to keyframe on left or right

0 on numpad rampreviews your comp (plays it back in realtime).  Note: AE is much slower than Premiere, because every frame needs to get loaded into ram before it can be played; ie AE is not realtime!

. on numpad plays just audio

Learning all about rendering and frame rates and comp sizes,etc takes a while and is one of the hardest things when first learning AE.  Square vs rectangle pixels, straight vs premultiplied alphas, codecs........

• 12. Re: New to Ae, Need Help with Time Remapping (Tutorial Anywhere?)
                                David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2

Pretty much everything in AE revolves around keyframes.  They control all of the different parameters.  Learn them first, and it will take you a giant step into AE.

They control the position, opacity, rotation, scale and pivot of your layer, allowing you to manipulate it over time.  When you apply effects, they control the effects parameter, allowing you to animate

something over time.  Think Photoshop/Free Transform, but you can animate it.  Twirl down the arrow next to the layer to see the properties; when you add effects, masks, layer styles, etc, they will be added onto there, exposing parameters that can be animated.

The good thing about learning this and CGI and all the Autodesk stuff is it's all related.  Concepts carry over all of the apps, such as time lines, keyframes, frame rates, etc.  You will find that by learning something in one program, it expands your knowledge in a different area of another program.  An example in my case was learning track mattes.  It wasn't until I started rendering out mattes from my 3d app that it finally clicked how to utilize them in AE.  Now, I use track mattes very frequently for many other reasons.

Another example is blend modes.  Couldn't grasp them in Photoshop; started to get a grasp in AE.  Again, it wasn't until I started rendering out passes from my 3d app that it really clicked (the biggest thing with the math nodes is to think of your colors as normalized values, 0-1)