0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 4:28 AM by DavidH-S

Old versions of flash installed with Photoshop

DavidH-S

It is not clear to me if this is the correct place to post this question, but I hope this is a better place than in the forum on flash in web browsers.  If anyone can suggest a better place to post this, please let me know.

I have kept the copy of flash that I use with Firefox up to date; it is now at 10.0.22.87 and is correctly (I believe) installed in c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash.

The other day I installed a recently purchased copy of Photoshop CS4 and then ran the updates that were offered for that.

I use the excellent Secunia Personal Software Inspector (secunia.com) to tell me when I have insecure out of date software installed and it now tells me that I  have older copies of flash components as follows:

- in d:\program files\adobe\adobe extension manager CS4\ I have NPSWF32.dll v 9.0.124.0

- in the ...\adobe\adobe device central\required\opera\program\plugins I have v 9.0.115.0 of the same dll  (and I do nt use Opera!)

- and in ...\adobe\adobe bridge CS4\browser\plugins\ I have the same dll at level 9.0.124.0.

Given that some of the Flash updates were to fix security holes, why do I now find myself with newly installed out of date flash components?

I have tried running the flash removal and reinstall tool from the Adobe website but that did not touch the out of date copies in the Photoshop folders.

Why do I have to have multiple copies of Flash on my system?  One should be enough and it would be easier to keep up to date.

How do I update these old copies of Flash?    I am wary of just deleting the old copies.... There probably lies trouble!

David H-S