21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 1:30 AM by Harm Millaard

Premier Pro CS4 wants to render my XDCAM EX mxf files

Mark "St. Louis" Jones

I just upgraded to Premier Pro CS4 from CS3.  In CS3 I could import the mxf files from my Sony XDCAM EX1 and work with no rendering before doing any edits as long as the project matched the footage.  I usually shoot 1920x1080 30p (HQ).

I created a new project in CS4 and set the sequence settings to match the footage and it has the red bar across the timeline like the footage needs to be rendered.  At first I thought that perhaps I shot the footage with different settings, maybe 60i, but I brought in footage that I know for sure is 30p and still get the same results.

I bought the upgrade to Production Premium CS4 with the promise of saving time when I get to the DVD/BD authoring portion, thanks to dynamic link.  If I lose any gains there on the front end by having to render my XDCAM EX mxf files, there's no need for me to have the new version.

Any thoughts about what I might be doing wrong?  I submitted a question to support but am still waiting for a reply, as my work piles up.  The render times were too long to bear on my XP Pro machine with only a quad core 2.93 GHz processor and 4 GB RAM.  To think that it was considered a fast machine just 2 years ago makes my wallet cry.

Thank you!