20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2009 7:19 AM by the_wine_snob

Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project

Nick Hill

The project was working fine earlier today. I haven't changed the drive letters involved, and the autosave files also hang it. I've tried importing the project into a new project, as well as copying the proj file somewhere else, renaming the folder with all the footage in it, and opening that. What happens in all cases is Prem loads and gives me the "recent projects" panel. (My project was in this, but then I did a system restore in case that would fix it, and it hasn't - all that seems to have happens is that Prem has lost its recent history.) I open the project. The progress bar gets to about 75% of the way within a second or two, then hangs. The amount of memory Prem is using doesn't increase in the task manager, CPU usage is nowhere near 100%, etc. I've defragged the disks (they didn't really need it anyway)  and the registry (which did need it) and that doesn't seem to have done anything.

I've also tried opening the prproj file in XML Wrench and fixing it for valid XML, but it found no errors. The file itself is only about 4Mb, and not particularly complex - just AVI files and images with scale, position etc keyframes on them.

I just tried importing the project into a new one, but instead of importing all sequences I chose "selected sequences". I got the message "An Adobe Dynamic Link error occurred".

Finally I've just managed to open the project in AE, with no fussing, although all the footage items are missing and when I use Replace Footage, this doesn't seem to do anything!!!!! Ctrl-H, locate the file, click on it - at this point AE would usually find the other 200 or whatever missing items - but it doesn't even find the one I've just clicked on! They're there on the disk, I can preview them from windows explorer.

AAARGH! Anyone got any ideas about anything else I could try, or is this "just one of those things"? Obviously, this has a deadline of, er, tomorrow morning. If I lose it and hurl the whole thing through a window I might post pics, I think they'd be therapeutic.....

Thanks in advance

Nick

• 1. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
          Nick Hill Level 1

Forgot to post the specs -

Prem Pro CS 4.1.0, Dell Precision M6300 laptop w/ 4Gb RAM, 2.6Ghz dual core, 600Gb free space on the external drive I'm editing on.

• 2. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Do you have any project items that got there through Dynamic Link?  Like AE comps or Soundbooth .asnd files?

While Pr is hanging, try Alt+Tab to see if there are any other windows that might be hiding behind the Pr window.

What codec is used in the AVI files?

Again, while Pr is hanging, is ImporterProcessServer doing anything in Task Manager?

Try moving your project and media to an internal drive.

Try cleaning the Media Cache Database.

I'm sure Eddie or Harm will be along with a link to a Premiere Pro Wiki document that outlines more troubleshooting steps.

-Jeff

• 3. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's the TROUBLESHOOTING link.

Also, what happens if you Open a New Project with the same Presets?

Hunt

• 4. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                Nick Hill Level 1

Thanks Jeff -

No Dynamic Link files (not that I'm aware of anyway) - I've prepared stuff in AE and Photoshop, but rendered / saved each item out first and then manually imported.

I can't see any other windows - if I try to cancel opening the file, the whole Premiere window goes white and I have to kill it and the other processes in task manager.

The AVI files are just standard DV codecs - many of them rendered via Adobe Media Encoder from a variety of sources - Apple DV MOVs, MXF files etc. I've also used a VOB file off a (non copyright protected - ie we burnt it internally and don't have the original material) DVD, but haven't transcoded the footage to AVI. It was working fine for most of today though.

When PPro hangs, Importerprocessserver.exe doesn't appear to be doing much - using 66Mb RAM and 0 CPU. A screenshot is attached, plus one of the "performance" charts.... actually, looking at the memory usage, the three Prem processes (Adobe Premiere Pro.exe, ImporterProcessServer.exe and PhotoshopServer.exe) seem completely static, so it really does look like they've hung.

I'm just copying the project folder to my C drive and will let you know if that helps, thanks for the tip.

• 5. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  What happens in all cases is Prem loads and gives me the "recent projects" panel. (My project was in this, but then I did a system restore in case that would fix it, and it hasn't - all that seems to have happens is that Prem has lost its recent history.)

This would be expected, as PrPro, and other programs, rely on Windows' Recent Documents data to get their info, through files that were opened in the program. Clean out Recent Documents, and all programs (that I know of) will loose their ability to Open Recent Documents/Files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I've also used a VOB file off a (non copyright protected - ie we burnt it internally and don't have the original material) DVD, but haven't transcoded the footage to AVI.

Tell us more about this VOB. Did you copy it over to the HDD, or just link to it in the DVD drive? If the latter, replace it in that same drive and try again with the Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                      Nick Hill Level 1

OK - I just tried opening a (much) earlier version of the project. Before doing this I found the 5 or 6 largest video files and renamed them with underscores at the start of the name, in case it was the size of the files that was causing the problem... but the upshot is that I've managed to open the earlier version of this project. One of the files it's saying it can't open because it's in use by another program... which it isn't. (I've restarted the machine recently and haven't touched this file since.) This might be a cause, if the file's become locked somehow... As I've just copied everything to the C drive I am going to try using the copy of this file that's on C.

Hunt - re the VOB file.... I copied this directly off the DVD into the project folder. I'm going to try transcoding it to AVI with AME and see if that helps....

Thanks for all your suggestions so far

Nick

• 8. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                        Nick Hill Level 1

> I'm going to try transcoding it to AVI with AME

Hadn't tried VOBs in AME before... why doesn't it look inside the file when deciding if it can transcode it or not?... it rejected them as VOBs but took them fine when I changed the extension to m2v. Oh well.....

I'm not going to press this one too much now - I've got to get it finished, and I think the quickest thing will be to use the old file and try and remember what I did. Thanks very much for all your helpful suggestions. If anyone wants a copy of the "corrupt" prproj file to look at I'll upload it somewhere. As Alice said, "curiouser and curiouser" (shortly before eating all kinds of things she shouldn't have and talking to an invisible cat)....

• 9. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                          Nick Hill Level 1

OK - it's happened again. I think I now know why: I re-rendered an AVI file which was being used in the Prem project. This has never created problems before, but now the project I was using seems to have become corrupted, and is hanging at 75%ish when opening.

I noticed in the project's XML the lines

<SubClip ObjectID="3425" ClassID="e0c58dc9-dbdd-4166-aef7-5db7e3f22e84" Version="3">
                                  <Node Version="1">
                                  </Node>
                                  <Name>Trans_3.avi</Name>
                                  <Clip ObjectRef="3426"/>
                                  <MasterClip ObjectURef="243129bf-9bdc-486e-a686-a05cdac0e472"/>
                              </SubClip>

Trans_3.avi was one of the clips I re-rendered. I assume that the ObjectURef property is something like a hashed value referring to the clip, and since it doesn't match up with the new clip Prem doesn't know what to do? There are other references to Trans_2 and Trans_3 which I don't quite understand. I'm going to try renaming these two and hope Premiere asks where they are.

• 10. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            One of the files it's saying it can't open because it's in use by another program... which it isn't.

Do you have Windows Indexing running? It needs to be shut down for each drive and each folder on each drive. This could be the program that has it locked.

Hunt - re the VOB file.... I copied this directly off the DVD into the project folder. I'm going to try transcoding it to AVI with AME and see if that helps....

Does the earlier Project, that opened, have this VOB in it yet?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting. Other than the expected "Where's Render File ______?" when the Render files have been deleted, or moved, I've not see this behavior. I hope that editing the XML (of course you're working on a copy?) will get you back to where you left things.

Do check on Windows Indexing, because it can lock files, while it pokes around in them. If it was doing that, when you shut down, both PrPro and you might have thought that things were perfectly OK. Again, you need to turn this puppy off (maybe leave it on for only your My Documents folder, or similar) for all HDD's and for all folders in each drive. Can be accessed and controlled from Properties for each HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                                Nick Hill Level 1

Cheers. Have turned Indexing off on the external drive.

I just tried re-rendering the original versions of Trans_2.avi and Trans_3.avi from an old AE autosaved project (they had changed lengths so I put them back to the lengths they were before). This doesn't seem to have sorted it out, either. So despite the new files being to all intents & purposes the same as the ones Prem was expecting, it still hangs.

I want to kill this bloody program.... presumably this will now have corrupted all the earlier versions of the files I was diligently saving as I went along, because they're all expecting one file and getting another one which is slightly different.

..... Yup, they're all screwed.

My last hope, apart from going back to the old version I've already been back to once this evening, is to try and delete all the trans_2 and trans_3 references from a copy of the xml file. I have a feeling I might be on a hiding to nothing with that, though.

• 13. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Did you try renaming like you said you were going to do in an earlier post?  I didn't see that you posted the results of that step.

-Jeff

• 14. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                                    Nick Hill Level 1

Yes - I did:

- renamed / moved the project file

- renamed the folder everything was in

- renamed some individual clips (a bit at random, there are too many to do all of them)

Nothing worked

Going through the XML (i mean believe me, there's really *nothing* I'd rather be doing with a Thursday evening....) I noticed the references to Trans_2 and Trans_3 each pointed to a block of code like this

<Media ObjectUID="267c8059-c545-4750-b608-bb91036fbbb6" ClassID="7a5c103e-f3ac-4391-b6b4-7cc3d2f9a7ff" Version="19">
                                    <IsProxy>false</IsProxy>
                                    <ActualMediaFilePath>H:\Jul09\Rosa_Sizzle\new captions\Trans_2.avi</ActualMediaFilePath>
                                    <RelativePath>.\new captions\Trans_2.avi</RelativePath>
                                    <ModificationState Encoding="base64" Checksum="2211086794">
                                    ZgBlAGYANwBjADMAYgAzAC0AYwAyADYAYwAtADMAZgA0ADQALQBlAGUAMgA2 AC0AMwBlADUANAAwADAAMAAwADAAMAAyADgA
                                    </ModificationState>

<StreamNumber>0</StreamNumber>
                                    <SingleAudioChannel>-1</SingleAudioChannel>
                                    <IgnoreAudio>false</IgnoreAudio>
                                    <IgnoreVideo>false</IgnoreVideo>
                                    <ConformedAudioRate>7938000</ConformedAudioRate>
                                    <CaptureStatus>0</CaptureStatus>
                                    <OfflineReason>0</OfflineReason>
                                    <Infinite>false</Infinite>
                                    <LogComment/>
                                    <AlternateTapeName/>
                                    <AlternateStart>0</AlternateStart>
                                    <FileKey>43a50065-3985-48f0-8f6c-3f5a50f397f2</FileKey>
                                    <Title>Trans_2.avi</Title>
                                    <ImplementationID>1fa18bfa-255c-44b1-ad73-56bcd99fceaf</ImplementationID>
                                    <VideoStream ObjectRef="3369"/>
                                    <AudioStream ObjectRef="3368"/>
                                    <TapeName/>
                                    <FilePath>H:\Jul09\Rosa_Sizzle\new captions\Trans_2.avi</FilePath>
                                    <Start>0</Start>
                                    </Media>

There's a checksum thing in there, which suggests to me that (if this is what I think it is) replacing a clip underneath Premiere will confuse it utterly because it's expecting the file to equal that long stream of gibberish, and it doesn't.

My last hope with this, before ditching the last 8 hours' work, was to go through the XML and strip out all the blocks of code relating to the video files I changed. Was hoping this would excise them from the sequences (which was ok because I only used each of them once). I also deleted anything with a corresponding unique ID - in the case above, 267c8059-c545-4750-b608-bb91036fbbb6.

However - I obviously wrecked the XML in the process (wasn't as simple as it seemed) and Prem crashed spectacularly on trying to load this ******* Frankenstein mess.

So, it's back to the earlier version of the project for me, then.

• 15. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                                      Nick Hill Level 1

OK, I've just about had enough now with this entire ******* thing. I went back to the earlier version which worked, and wasted a couple of hours finishing it off to where I'd got to yesterday. I then tried to export it in AME. No luck; AME couldn't find the source file - had it been moved or deleted? No, it was still there. Googled this problem and apparently it can happen if you remove an earlier version of Premiere or CS2/3 (I hadn't). Tried putting a shortcut to Premiere in the dynamiclink folder as suggested here http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407106.html. Didn't work. (The other fix is to uninstall and then reinstall CS4, which I don't have the time to do, as there are other projects I've had to push out of the way to do this one.)

I then thought I'd try using another machine which has never had CS3 installed on it, and see if that would work. Connected the external drive to it, tried to load the project (the ext drive it's on comes up as the M drive, not H, as there's a CD drive on H already which I can't figure out how to get rid of - disabling all CD drives in Device Manager doesn't seem to do it). Predictably this didn't work; it froze as before. I then brought the ext drive back to the original machine, and lo and behold: the project (which had worked before, and which I hadn't changed on the other machine - nor had I changed any of the files it depends on) got to about 80% and froze while loading.

I had taken the last-measures step, before transferring to the second machine, of exporting all the sequences as EDLs. This obviously loses any Premiere effects I'd used (not many really), but as a last ditch attempt at salvaging this wreck of a project it was worth a go. I've imported them all, relinked the footage, and when I exported the finished thing, AME took it fine.

What conclusions can I draw from this?...

1) Never replace any footage "underneath" Premiere; always render to a new file name and reimport.

2) Don't transfer projects between machines. (This is lunacy. Surely there are people who edit with Premiere in a multi machine enivronment, or am I missing something?)

3) Export EDLs at every possible opportunity.

4) Look at switching to Avid.

• 16. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        Connected the external drive to it, tried to load the project (the ext drive it's on comes up as the M drive, not H, as there's a CD drive on H already which I can't figure out how to get rid of - disabling all CD drives in Device Manager doesn't seem to do it). Predictably this didn't work; it froze as before.I

n the OS of this other machine:

To assign, change, or remove a drive letter

Using the Windows interface

1. Open Computer Management (Local).
                                        2. In the console tree, click Disk Management.
                                        3. Right-click a partition, logical drive, or volume, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
                                        4. Do one of the following:
                                          • To assign a drive letter, click Add, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
                                          • To modify a drive letter, click it, click Change, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
                                          • To remove a drive letter, click it, and then click Remove.

Important

• Be careful when making drive-letter assignments because many MS-DOS and Windows programs make references to a specific drive letter. For example, the path environment variable shows specific drive letters in conjunction with program names.

Notes

• To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
                                        • You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.
                                        • A computer can use up to 26 drive letters. Drive letters A and B are reserved for floppy disk drives, but you can assign these letters to removable drives if the computer does not have a floppy disk drive. Hard disk drives in the computer receive letters C through Z, while mapped network drives are assigned drive letters in reverse order (Z through B).
                                        • You cannot change the drive letter of the system volume or boot volume.
                                        • An error message may appear when you attempt to assign a letter to a volume, CD-ROM drive, or other removable media device, possibly because it is in use by a program in the system. If this happens, close the program accessing the volume or drive, and then click the Change Drive Letter and Paths command again.
                                        • Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the static assignment of drive letters on volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives. This means that you permanently assign a drive letter to a specific partition, volume, or CD-ROM drive. When you add a new hard disk to an existing computer system, it will not affect statically assigned drive letters.
                                        • You can also mount a local drive at an empty folder on an NTFS volume using a drive path instead of a drive letter. For more information, click Related Topics.

You can re-assign the drive letter for the DVD burners and then assign the appropriate drive letter to match what your Project expects.

I swap machines a lot with Projects, and have each external's drive letter assignment the same on all computers.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                                          Nick Hill Level 1

Cheers for the tip - I tried this, but Disk Management only seems to let you reassign the drive letter for hard disks, and H was a CD drive. (I'm not entirely sure which one, as there are only two optical drives in the machine and both of those show up individually - could be a virtual CD drive or something?)

• 18. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Optical drives show up under the hard disks and can be changed with the drive letter assignment.

17-07-2009 17-02-49.jpg

• 19. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                                              Nick Hill Level 1

Doh. Thanks Harm, I am an idiot - I was looking in the bottom half of the screen not the top!

• 20. Re: Help - PPro hangs when trying to open a project
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Just remember that you will need to assign the same drive letter in the OS of any machine that you move the external to. I started my naming at Z:\ for the first of a half dozen 2TB units, and work backward from there. I also mark each external with a label with that assignment, so I always know what it will be and keep it there for the OS on each machine.

Good luck,

Hunt