3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 10:38 AM by lewisdarby.com

Creating reflective chrome effect

lewisdarby.com

Hi,

Does anyone know how to apply a chrome effect (the same as in photoshop) to a layer in after effects? The layer is a png sequence so this might be difficult. I also need this chrome to be reflecting the layers that are in front of it.

any ideas?

thanks,

- lewis

• 1. Re: Creating reflective chrome effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Does anyone know how to apply a chrome effect (the same as in photoshop) to a layer in after effects?

Create a Photoshop document with teh layer style applied, then import it. Once imported, you can copy&paste the layer style to the sequence or replace the source. AE will correctly render the style, it just doesn't allow you to edit its settings.

I also need this chrome to be reflecting the layers that are in front of it.

That might be a bit tricky. A simple way would be to use a duplicate of your 3D comp, reverse the camera angle so it looks into the opposite direction, then use that pre-comp as a conventional 2D layer with Overlay, Multiply or similar blending modes in your main comp on top of the chrome text. Slight blurring might help to sell the illusion and you may need to use a duplicate of your text to act as matte for the pre-comp...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Creating reflective chrome effect
            yenaphe Level 4

Well this effect won't be achived with a single effect.

What I can think of is to trackmatte your opposite layer to your layer which gets reflection, add it some blur and opacity. maybe deformation. Flip it of course.

On your layer receiving the chrome effects & the reflection, i'd add a matted solid with ramp effect , maybe in scrren or additive mode, some haevy color correction, and I guess it can be a good starting point.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Creating reflective chrome effect
              lewisdarby.com Level 1

thanks man, you always have the right answers!