4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 1:30 PM by jag1138

RAW images seem yellowish in Camera RAW/CS4

jag64551

I'm a newb to photography, so I apologize if this is entry level stuff.

I shoot with a Canon 40D - JPG + RAW - and when I open my RAW images with Camera RAW through Adobe Bridge CS4, it appears that they more more yellow than the JPGs out of the camera.  I have noticed this in my prints as well, and it has been bugging me.  I'm not sure what would be causing this.

Below I have included links to a test picture - the first image is the JPG out of the camera, and the second image is the RAW image with no adjustments, converted to JPG.

JPG out of camera - http://www.highlandhoops.com/Portals/0/IMG_8223.JPG

JPG converted from RAW (more yellow-ish) - http://www.highlandhoops.com/Portals/0/IMG_8223_A.JPG

Any help would be appeciated!  I would love for the RAW images to match the output of the JPGs, so I don't have to worry about fixing that first everytime.  If you need more info, please let me know.  Thanks

• 1. Re: RAW images seem yellowish in Camera RAW/CS4
          JimHess-hP0R75

JPEG images get processed in the camera using the settings you have chosen.  Raw images are processed with those settings as well, but Camera Raw and not read some of those settings because they are proprietary.  You need to adjust one of your images so that it looks normal, and then save new Camera Raw defaults.  You should also look at the different camera matching profiles and see if one of those profiles should be included in your default settings.  Once you have made adjustments specific to your camera, it should be relatively easy to process your raw images.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: RAW images seem yellowish in Camera RAW/CS4
            jag64551 Level 1

Jim, thanks for your reply.  I think this will help me.  I also upgraded to Camera RAW 5.4, and there appear to be some more profile options, such as Adobe Standard.  It looks like this works pretty well.  I will have to do some more testing at a later time with the CR defaults as well.

Thanks

• 3. Re: RAW images seem yellowish in Camera RAW/CS4
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Usually, overall yellow/warm casts can be easily and quickly reduce or

eliminated by bumping the White Balance's Temperature slider down a little

bit (e.g., from 4500 K to 4300 K).

Eric

Jim, thanks for your reply.  I think this will help me.  I also upgraded to

Camera RAW 5.4, and there appear to be some more profile options, such as

Adobe Standard.  It looks like this works pretty well.  I will have to do some

more testing at a later time with the CR defaults as well.

• 4. Re: RAW images seem yellowish in Camera RAW/CS4
                jag1138

This is jag64551 - don't know why it made me create a new username...

Thanks for the suggestion with White Balanace - I definitely adjust that from time to time as needed.  It seems like there is something on top of the white balance that throws things off.  Also, if the white balance was the issue, why would the RAW in Camera Raw be different than the JPG?  That's what makes me think it's not white balance - because when you open the RAW image, it opens "As Shot", and if the JPG looks fine, it seems as if the White Balance on the RAW should also be fine.

I apologize for my questions - just somewhat inexperienced with this.  Thanks for all your input.